Status
Not open for further replies.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Hey guys I think I might finally get an RTA. I am saving up for one and might buy one next month. Which are some of the most accessible RTAs noobs?
Reload RTA, super easy to build on and an excellent performing Tank with outstanding flavor.

For Single Coil I'd say the Kayfun V5 or Merlin Mini

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Can I recommend that you start with an RDA rather than an RTA?

An RDA is much more forgiving of rookie mistakes. It lets you get the hang of wrapping and wicking your own build while not having to worry too much about juice getting everywhere because the tank isn't built and wicked just so.

Every tank is different. There are fewer differences in the basics of drippers.

Wrapping coils is the easiest part of rebuildable atomizers. Getting the wick(s) and the coil(s) all lined up with the stars and the wishes of the vape gods is the "fun" part.

You can dive right into the RTA thing, but you'll have a lot more confidence tackling a tank if you try an RDA first.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
And you won't have to save up much for this one:

Yun 25mm RDA by EHPRO

It's 25mm outside diameter, so it won't go on a Pico or other space-limited mods.

Even though it's a dripper, it has a build deck that's very similar to a large percentage of those found in RTAs. Airflow hits the bottom of the coil and mounting is easy peasy.

I have three of them and use one of them all day every day.

Four bucks plus shipping.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
There's a plethora of easy-to-build devices. Would be good to know what kind of airflow you're after
oldschool mtl - open mtl - restricted dtl - open dtl
Best advice. Start at the beginning. Know exactly what you are. That'll save you a lot of money and frustration...!

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I'm just thinking about getting into building my own coils and I went to a site that had a ridiculously low sale on Rta's and rda's. I'm not even positive what the difference is between the two. I went a little crazy buying a few of everything (even bought a few rst's whatever they are) if I break them I won't be wasting that much money. . I don't know if this is good advice to you or not but it seemed like a good idea to me LOL

Last edited:

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I'm just thinking about getting into building my own coils and I went to a site that had a ridiculously low sale on Rta's and rda's. I'm not even positive what the difference is between the two. I went a little crazy buying a few of everything (even bought a few rst's whatever they are) if I break them I won't be wasting that much money. . I don't know if this is good advice to you or not but it seemed like a good idea to me LOL
You'll find out that not only is it ridiculously easy to build, flavor so much better you'll ask yourself why didn't I start sooner!

I'd recommend start out with basic bare wire, move to parallel and twisted. After that mess about with some Clapton and fused Claptons. You'll find your sweet spot. Wicking does take a bit of practice but don't give up, you'll get it and once you do it'll be second nature.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Personally I like the Serpent SMM for an easy to build on deck RTA. I like the Hadaly and/or Entheon for easy RDAs.

I'm not even positive what the difference is between the two.

RTA = Rebuildable TANK Atomizer = Has a tank that supplies liquid to the wicks.
RDA = Rebuildable DRIPPING Atomizer = Does not have a tank, you drip juice directly on the coil.
RDTA = Rebuildable DRIP/TANK Atomizer = Has a small tank, but you can also use it to drip.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Besides it's so very liberating to not be dependent on factory made coils, especially what you build is so much better.

Oh another thing, don't skip on wire. Top quality real Sandvik wire from sources like Kidney Puncher or Atomizer Wick makes a large difference over cheap Chinese crap wire. Example top quality wire from KP is under $5 for 30 feet which for basic coils will last well over a year, why waste money on crap wire?

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Personally I like the Serpent SMM for an easy to build on deck RTA. I like the Hadaly and/or Entheon for easy RDAs.

RTA = Rebuildable TANK Atomizer = Has a tank that supplies liquid to the wicks.
RDA = Rebuildable DRIPPING Atomizer = Does not have a tank, you drip juice directly on the coil.
RDTA = Rebuildable DRIP/TANK Atomizer = Has a small tank, but you can also use it to drip.
Worth mentioning is Squonk A bottom fed RDA that is feed by a bottle ;)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
You'll find out that not only is it ridiculously easy to build, flavor so much better you'll ask yourself why didn't I start sooner!

I'd recommend start out with basic bare wire, move to parallel and twisted. After that mess about with some Clapton and fused Claptons. You'll find your sweet spot. Wicking does take a bit of practice but don't give up, you'll get it and once you do it'll be second nature.

Been vaping on basic single strand round wire for 5.5 years. Sometimes you don't even need to "move on". :vapor::D

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Been vaping on basic single strand round wire for 5.5 years. Sometimes you don't even need to "move on". :vapor::D
Yep a lot don't and a lot are still MTL. I moved on for a thick dense vape is my sweet spot. That's what is so wonderful about Vaping, so many options that suits so many various needs ;)

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
RTAs, RDAs, yous kids these days don't know how easy you have it.
You should start out rebuilding your Vivi Novas and rewicking cartos with blue foam. Then you can move on to stainless mesh wicked gennies. After that they're all noob friendly.:)

If you want/like dual coils get a velocity style deck. Whether you go RDA or RTA first you can get the same post style in either because it is easy to build and easy to wick.

This is a velocity style (for a RTA).
scion_2804.JPG

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Really I wouldn't suggest any dual coil RDA/RTA for a beginner.

I leave it to what they want. No need to buy a single coil atty you will use for 3 builds and then need another because you wanted duals.
It's not like the legs are stuck in shared screws. That was a steep learning curve but not that terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread