Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I understand it's not "that much more work" but it does mean you have to be very diligent with wrap count to make sure the coils are balanced, it is also two wicks to potentially screw up. Is that harsh flavor because you put too little wick in one coil, or too much in the other? Tank leaking, which coil didn't get enough cotton? Both or just one of them? These things are much easier to work out with one coil. Ultimately you are correct it is up to the buyer to decide what they want/need.

Although, I am not sure why so many people seem to think that you HAVE to upgrade to multi-coil fused alien framed staple ultra mega coil builds to have to good vape. 5.5 years and I still use single coil tanks with basic round wire and put out more cloud than I need and all the flavor I want. Also, single coils use less juice. I have done a few dual coil builds but the difference isn't worth the extra time, materials, and juice IMHO.

Last edited:

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I understand it's not "that much more work" but it does mean you have to be very diligent with wrap count to make sure the coils are balanced, it is also two wicks to potentially screw up. Is that harsh flavor because you put too little wick in one coil, or too much in the other? Tank leaking, which coil didn't get enough cotton? Both or just one of them? These things are much easier to work out with one coil. Ultimately you are correct it is up to the buyer to decide what they want/need.

Although, I am not sure why so many people seem to think that you HAVE to upgrade to multi-coil fused alien framed staple ultra mega coil builds to have to good vape. 5.5 years and I still use single coil tanks with basic round wire and put out more cloud than I need and all the flavor I want. Also, single coils use less juice. I have done a few dual coil builds but the difference isn't worth the extra time, materials, and juice IMHO.
Don't have too, my first RTA was the SquapeRS, I had the dual coil deck and it was simple to build on, incredibly simple. Dual coils decks are not that difficult over single coil, plus not all dual coils are Clouds Bro's for Squapes are certainly no Clouds Bro Tanks.

Bottom line though is it all depends on what they want, MTL or DTL.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Don't have too, my first RTA was the SquapeRS, I had the dual coil deck and it was simple to build on, incredibly simple. Dual coils decks are not that difficult over single coil, plus not all dual coils are Clouds Bro's for Squapes are certainly no Clouds Bro Tanks.

Bottom line though is it all depends on what they want, MTL or DTL.

I agree with all of that. I will say though that single coil isn't just for MTL and dual isn't just for DTL. I MTL EVERYTHING, including octacoil Smok Prince tanks wide open with wide bore tip. That's just how I roll.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I understand it's not "that much more work" but it does mean you have to very diligent with wrap count to make sure the coils are balanced, it is also two wicks to potentially screw up. Is that harsh flavor because you put too little wick in one coil, or too much in the other? These things are much easier to work out with one coil. Ultimately you are correct it is up to the buyer to decide what they want/need.

I don't like duals, never have. I only tolerate them now because of TC. I don't even find them to be that much more time. The difference to me without TC is a negative.

But consider the stock coils for tanks now and drop someone from a quad clapton stock coil to a single wire RTA and they might not like it. (I don't like those stock coils either.)

If I taught someone there wouldn't be wrap counts and possibly no balancing problems, at least with a velocity style. I don't think I've ever had one need balancing on these decks. That's why I say if you want duals a velocity style is a good one to get. They're easy.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I agree with all of that. I will say though that single coil isn't just for MTL and dual isn't just for DTL. I MTL EVERYTHING, including octacore Smoke Prince tanks wide open with wide bore tip. That's just how I roll.
Understood, I also spin up 32x2/44 SS fused claptons for my SquapeRS so the same can be said for fused claptons. That and yes there is noticeable difference in flavor ;)

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I also think a rda would easier because I started out with the pharaoh mini and thought it was broken after awhile. I ended up buying the freakshow rda and that worked perfectly.

Later on, after getting the hang of making and installing coils and wick, I tried out the pharaoh mini again and it worked fine.. Definitely not broken.

Just my opinion

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I also think a rda would easier because I started out with the pharaoh mini and thought it was broken after awhile. I ended up buying the freakshow rda and that worked perfectly.

Later on, after getting the hang of making and installing coils and wick, I tried out the pharaoh mini again and it worked fine.. Definitely not broken.

Just my opinion
Yep agreed, my first rebuildable was an RDA which made it easier to move on to an RTA for wicking is much more forgivable.

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2011
bakersfield,ca
As you can see there are a lot of options and suggestions.
I could put in my 2c on a specific RTA but instead I suggest that consider only top airflow RTA's. Anything bottom air flow, will be much less forgiving of errors leading to leaking of the tank. With a top airflow design leaking will not happen.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I don't like duals, never have. I only tolerate them now because of TC. I don't even find them to be that much more time. The difference to me without TC is a negative.

Just curious what about TC makes duals better? I will admit that I have not tried a dual in TC mode yet.

If I taught someone there wouldn't be wrap counts and possibly no balancing problems, at least with a velocity style. I don't think I've ever had one need balancing on these decks. That's why I say if you want duals a velocity style is a good one to get. They're easy.

I think you misunderstood. When I say you have to count wraps and talk about balance, I mean that with a single coil, it doesn't really matter if you wrap 6, 7 or 8 wraps on a coil (as long as you set the watts to fit the resistance). On a dual coil, if you wrap the first one 7 times you had better make sure you wrap the second coil 7 wraps as well. Otherwise the two coils will have different resistances and thus not heat the same. Deck style will not change that. So you have to count the wraps to make sure both are the same/balanced.

Last edited:

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago

I'm the same way. Tried fancy coils, dual coils, etc. None of them ever gave as a good a vape as a single for me.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
As you can see there are a lot of options and suggestions.
I could put in my 2c on a specific RTA but instead I suggest that consider only top airflow RTA's. Anything bottom air flow, will be much less forgiving of errors leading to leaking of the tank. With a top airflow design leaking will not happen.
The Uwell D2 is a great topflow for it channels the air down then up under the coils so no sacrifice in flavor.

Reactions: stols001

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Just curious what about TC makes duals better? I will admit that I have not tried a dual in TC mode yet.

I think you misunderstood. When I say you have to count wraps and talk about balance, I mean that with a single coil, it doesn't really matter if you wrap 6, 7 or 8 wraps on a coil (as long as you set the watts to fit the resistance). On a dual coil, if you wrap the first one 7 times you had better make sure you wrap the second coil 7 wraps as well. Otherwise the two coils will have different resistances and thus not heat the same. Deck style will not change that. So you have to count the wraps to make sure both are the same/balanced.

Non-TC duals are harsh to me. TC takes away the harshness. It probably also takes away the reason most people like duals with VW.

The way I make duals is measure 2 strands of wire. Wrap those complete wires on an arbor slightly smaller than desired. Push both coils on to a larger arbor of the desired size.
Both wires were the same length, all wire used, same Ω, same number of wraps. Any spring back from wrapping the coil was taken up by putting them on the larger arbor so same diameter.
Put the arbor/coil against the velocity posts, lock the coil down, pull the arbor away from the posts. If it pulls away minimally it's good, if it pulls away a lot loosen the legs push in and retighten. Remove arbor repeat for the other coil. Adjust spacing.
Both coils are very much alike, no coil counting, probably no balancing after pulsing.

Try that with a center post screw that shares the coil legs or wire wrapped around screws. Yes the deck style does matter.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Hey guys I think I might finally get an RTA. I am saving up for one and might buy one next month. Which are some of the most accessible RTAs noobs?
Wouldn't usually recommend this RTA to someone just starting out because it's not the easiest to build on but owning a shop and trying most RTA's, the OBS Engine 2 is without doubt the best I have tried and that's why I have to recommend it to you. If you do decide to get one, you can always PM me if you run into any problems..

Last edited:

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Wouldn't usually recommend this RTA to someone just starting out because it's not the easiest to build on but owning a shop and trying most RTA's, the OBS Engine 2 is without doubt the best and that's why I have to recommend it to you. If you do decide to get one, you can always PM me if you run into any problems..
I have to say though the Reload is super easy to wick, I wick it like I do my Reload RDA's.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
I have to say though the Reload is super easy to wick, I wick it like I do my Reload RDA's.
Reload is a great RTA, I have / did use one for a very long time but you still get juice seepage collect in the bottom and if you let the tank stand for a few days, it will leak but that goes for all bottom airflow tanks. The Engine 2 won't, I just absolutely love that tank. It has replaced my Reload, my Aromamizer Plus and even my Kensei and Bravo. The list goes on but I would be doing the OP an injustice if I didn't at least throw the idea out there..

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
LOL... ask the ECF community what time it is and we commence with instructions on how to build a clock.

And sooner or later, the discussion turns to what the best kind of clock the newbie needs to build.

:D

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
200w.gif

Reactions: smacuser

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I started with a 4 post (tiny) deck dual RTA, I did end up putting only one coil in. It was probably the worst RTA to start with, (although in some ways not, I did LEARN a lot) and I didn't wind up vaping it much.

As far as recommending an RTA, well, I'd say if you really want a tank, some of the easier (MTL) RTAs I have set up are the Siren V2 and the Ares. Single coil build, wicking is made easier, and for me, using rayon rather than cotton made wicking much easier (to me, it's a more forgiving wick).

You can get RTAs that have airflow inserts to cut down on airflow making it more MTL or restricted lung, but without the airflow reducer, a more airy, DL vape. Etc. Although it is one more thing to worry about.

I will say, the best way (for me) to learn was to try some different things and not go too expensive. I found out I prefer single coil simple round wire builds, but everyone winds up in different places.

The big issue with dual coil RTAs is lack of space, that, and you do need two very similar coils to get a balanced vape. The flavor may well be better, IDK, but I have found for me ease of use is great, and I consider many single coil RTAs to be a fantastic vape. I found that out by trying different things.

If you are after a DL vape, I can't really offer much in way of advice as that's not my vaping style.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread