retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
It's also part of the reason I mentioned it on here. I think that no matter where we live, we need to be vigilant about what they are teaching our kids before they start an anti vaping campaign that rivals the anti smoking one in all of the schools.

I can almost guarantee that what the kids were told is not on the "official" curriculum for the school. This needs to be nipped in the bud now, before it gets out of hand. Essentially, there's a teacher in that school that doesn't know what they're talking about. Not only is it wrong, it can also get them into serious trouble. Start writing those letters and get that stopped before the school year starts and the misinformation campaign gets worse.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Kathi, it cannot hurt to get that Facebook group involved. Use everything at your disposal to combat this. Write letters, get the FB group to write letters. Send information packs. Do what you can and start now. Starting now will give you time to get it organized for the start of the new school year.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Kathi, it cannot hurt to get that Facebook group involved. Use everything at your disposal to combat this. Write letters, get the FB group to write letters. Send information packs. Do what you can and start now. Starting now will give you time to get it organized for the start of the new school year.
Besides, the more invested the school is in the wrong way, the more difficult to get change. Stop them now before they get set in their ways.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Wouldn't doubt if it's now included in the subjects discussed in "D.a.r.e." programs nowadays.

I, wierdly, can remember being told "acetaminophen was a scary drug that has lots of dependants/users that are hooked" - LOL - grew up and learned wat it really was.... tylenol

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
kathi17, thanks for bringing this to the ECF members attention. I fear that it is just the tip of the anti vaping movements "new" propaganda campaign. You are correct that we all need to be vigilant EVERYWHERE. Take the advice of retired1 & Robino1 and do everything in your power to nip it in the bud NOW. A trickle becomes a stream and a stream becomes a torrent. Look at all of the "adults" that have already been brainwashed and are too lazy to learn THE TRUTH for themselves. It will be even easier for them to convince young, impressionable minds. Do your best to NOT let that happen and do it NOW. I'm sure we ALL wish you the best of luck. Please keep us posted.

Vapers Unite!
:cool: Von vape :cool:

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
kathi17, thanks for bringing this to the ECF members attention. I fear that it is just the tip of the anti vaping movements "new" propaganda campaign. You are correct that we all need to be vigilant EVERYWHERE. Take the advice of retired1 & Robino1 and do everything in your power to nip it in the bud NOW. A trickle becomes a stream and a stream becomes a torrent. Look at all of the "adults" that have already been brainwashed and are too lazy to learn THE TRUTH for themselves. It will be even easier for them to convince young, impressionable minds. Do your best to NOT let that happen and do it NOW. I'm sure we ALL wish you the best of luck. Please keep us posted.

Vapers Unite!
:cool: Von Vape :cool:

That's exactly why this is the place I mentioned it first. I was terribly upset about it, so I needed to get my thoughts together before I did anything rash. I knew you would all understand and share your opinions, and help me sort out the best way to approach this before I went off the deep end and handled it badly.

But I was also afraid the trickle would become a stream, and knew that if it was starting in one school, it will definitely happen in more and more schools, and will become just like the anti smoking campaigns, so I wanted to warn everyone to keep their eyes and ears open.

I will post on the FB pages for the vape shops in the area, and hopefully get some help from them. I'm glad I posted here as well though!

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Off topic and not germane to the discussion

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
  • Deleted by retired1

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
  • Deleted by retired1

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
That's exactly why this is the place I mentioned it first. I was terribly upset about it, so I needed to get my thoughts together before I did anything rash. I knew you would all understand and share your opinions, and help me sort out the best way to approach this before I went off the deep end and handled it badly.

But I was also afraid the trickle would become a stream, and knew that if it was starting in one school, it will definitely happen in more and more schools, and will become just like the anti smoking campaigns, so I wanted to warn everyone to keep their eyes and ears open.

I will post on the FB pages for the vape shops in the area, and hopefully get some help from them. I'm glad I posted here as well though!
Do all three of your grandkids say they got this mis-information from teachers or, if not, from whom they got it?

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
My Ex Girl tries to preach about vaping being worse then smoking. I just tell her to, talk to the hand, because the hand ain't talkin! :headbang:
Preach back, brother! Enlighten her! After all, if she's an ex, you've got nuthin' to loose, right? The more lies we stop now, the less lies we'll have to expose later. ;)

Vapers Unite!

Reactions: Kenna and DC2

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Take it to Outside

MagicJosh

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2015
Boston, MA, USA
Preach back, brother! Enlighten her! After all, if she's an ex, you've got nuthin' to loose, right? The more lies we stop now, the less lies we'll have to expose later. ;)

Vapers Unite!
You better believe I tried! She's one of those girls you can't tell anything to. She went to a big College and thinks she knows everything. GGrrrrr I told her: I do not smell anymore. I can breath better, what more can anyone say to convince a non smoker. I think that people are just plain old fashion ''Hatin''! Because we had fun quilting, and still are!
:evil:

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
Do all three of your grandkids say they got this mis-information from teachers or, if not, from whom they got it?

My granddaughter is the oldest, 6th grade, and she is the one who is so upset by it. I asked her today, where she heard that, and she said that is what they teach in health class. She's in the Arcadia Middle School, in Greece, NY.

When I asked if they taught that in the health classes for the other grades, she said she thinks so. I didn't ask the two younger kids, because the youngest one isn't ready for a question like that, and the middle one is really good at figuring things out for himself. He would just brush the whole thing off and not want to even talk about it. He would be one of the kids who would probably tell the other kids it wasn't true, and would just ignore it when the teacher said it. At least I know for sure that the health teacher at Arcadia is teaching this, and the school may very well be condoning it. judging from some of the other garbage they are teaching the kids.

Don't get me wrong, in general I really like their schools in Greece, but they have a very liberal bias to them, and like to feed it to the kids. Some of it involves industries people here in Maine are dependant on, like fishing and lumbering, and their views about what these industries are all about is totally off the mark. I just wish all schools would stick to teaching kids the things they need to know to make a living and have a career, without filling their heads full of things that they really know nothing about, and things that aren't going to help them be successful adults.

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
I just wish all schools would stick to teaching kids the things they need to know to make a living and have a career, without filling their heads full of things that they really know nothing about, and things that aren't going to help them be successful adults.

I agree! we've already separated church and state, given a pass to those who would prefer not to stand and pledge allegiance, it's probably time to demand that political views be left out of the equation too. It's really good to see you're making some progress. Keep up the great work.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    This is what Scholastic is giving teachers for their anti vaping classes.
    I just read the teacher one and the both the student ones. I guess whether a study shows something or suggests something is the same.. I wonder what Scholastic's intention is to only show candy in the flavoring image?

I suppose since no links are provided directly to these studies, only ANTZ's interpretation is real or important..

I guess this rant would be on topic enough, since Scholastic said it too, I'm absolutely fed up with hearing nicotine described as a 'highly addictive' drug.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX

mcol

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 5, 2013
    Missouri

mcol

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 5, 2013
    Missouri
    'How Does Nicotine Addiction Affect the Brain?
    Research studies have found that nicotine may make animals’ brains more receptive to the effects of other drugs. Some experts think this could also be true for people. If so, a young person who uses an e-cigarette or a tobacco cigarette may find other drugs, like (other stuff), more rewarding. This “priming effect” on the brain increases the likelihood of further drug use and possible addiction. To further study this possibility, researchers will track young people who use e-cigarettes to see if they are more likely to become addicted to other drugs.'

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!

kathi17

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA
    I was about to mention the part about vaping making you more susceptible to taking drugs, but I see a few of you also saw it. I couldn't believe that one!

One thing they always seem to overlook is that only certain kids will ever smoke or use drugs. Others are not into experimenting with anything they feel is harmful, and never will try them. But I suppose ignoring this fact, and implying that vaping will cause kids to smoke or use drugs only goes to further their agenda.

I see you guys also saw the images, especially the candy one, in the study materials. I wonder how many kids will ever know that these aren't from vape commercials, rather, they are from places like Getty Images and have nothing at all to do with vape related advertising. It looks like the teachers aren't worried about those images being inaccurate either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread