Screwdriver review - 901

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephthys

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Denver
I promised that I would do a review upon receipt of my screwdriver. At the time I said I might only be able to say either "my undying love to Trog" or "I am a sad panda". I can do better.

Shipping. Holy crap. I ordered several items from around the internets on June 11. My Screwdriver, which had to travel across The Pond, arrived first. Today. I wasn't even going to start looking for it until the beginning of next week. Trog said that he packs and ships the next day - I'm pretty sure he's a Time Lord, however. Everything was snugly packed in bubble wrap and tape.

Appearance. Like others have said, it's not nearly as big as you think it is. It fits in my little paw. Looks sturdy, well fitted, the button is a good size and the pressure required seems very nice - neither too hard nor too squishy. I have the matte black and the finish is even and looks great.

I love the wrist lanyard. Just what I needed - a leash. No more setting a PV down and misplacing it.

The vape. This is my first manual switch, but thanks to ECF, I knew what I was doing... for the most part. I nearly blew off the back of my head on the first puff. After dragging on auto 901s (with admittedly cloggy carts) for over a month, I really over did it. I had worked it out by the third puff. Not too aggressive, this horse can kick.

One of my complaints about the auto 901 was the cool vapor that only really got warm when you abused the atty and vaped until it was scorching hot. The Screwdriver delivers much warmer vaper without the burning of a hot atty.

Flavor is wonderful; lots of lovely, weighty, billowy vapor. Killer throat hit, even with my low nic juice, and I can taste it in my mouth, not just in my nose and upper palate upon exhale.

General. It's not a little dainty PV. I doubt I will glue Swarovski crystals on it and use it as a stage and photo prop. I don't care. I have my piddly wimpy old batteries for that. The Screwdriver is a serious tool and gives me everything that the DSE901 didn't. I'm a fairly non-stop vaper, so I was rotating batteries every hour or so when out and about, and tethered to my laptop via pass through while at home. No more umbilical cord, and no more non-stop PV fussing.

I can't really hold the Screwdriver in my teeth; it's too heavy, but I don't feel the need to. I get what I need in a few puffs. I don't have to suck the life out of it to get flavor, throat hit, and warm vapor. I may actually vape LESS with the Screwdriver because it IS so satisfying.

So, yes, long story short, my undying love to Trog.

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Very nice review. :) Just make sure to get few extra batteries and perhaps extra charger for maximum comfort. Actually, one of my chargers (which I bought 2 extra from Deal Extreme) has a little bit of an issue, but my the other 2 are working very well.

Also, as you may already know, the included attys are RN4075's, not true 901 attys. I personally prefer 4075 attys as they burn hotter and gives me more throat hit. Some say they last shorter than 901s, but one of 4075 atty I have, is little over 2 months old, and I'm still using it every day. :) Works pretty well, with little bit of cleaning off and on - but I think I'm nearing the end of the life for this little buddy, as it seems it's not making as good of hits these days. I do plan to order bunch more from ruyan direct in near future.

I hope you'll enjoy your SD. It's truely a wonderful device. :)

Nephthys

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Denver
Very nice review. :) Just make sure to get few extra batteries and perhaps extra charger for maximum comfort. Actually, one of my chargers (which I bought 2 extra from Deal Extreme) has a little bit of an issue, but my the other 2 are working very well.

Thanks for the reminder! I was getting complacent, sitting here for going on 7 hours now...

Also, as you may already know, the included attys are RN4075's, not true 901 attys. I personally prefer 4075 attys as they burn hotter and gives me more throat hit.

That
I did not know. I have a fairly substantial stockpile of 901s, but I'll keep this in mind, thank you.

I hope you'll enjoy your SD. It's truely a wonderful device. :)
I really think I will. It really addresses all the things I didn't like about the DSE901s. The DSE901 was a great starter, it did what I thought it would. The SD does what I HOPED it would do.

Nephthys

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Denver
he he... you went from a wushy auto-switch 901 to a SD... smart lady!!!
No half measures, here.

Now you know what vaping satisfaction is for sure!!

Satisfaction. That's the operative word. I don't have to fight for the "ahhhhhh".

That first experience does knock your socks off doesn't it? I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Yeah, the big lung hit was NOT a good idea.

crazyeagle55

Jun 18, 2009
i got my sd from across the pond too on 11 june, after paying too much for a "smokingeverywhere" rn-4081 and than moved on to a dse901, which i like when working , but the screwdriver is better . i'am new at this, and i'am hard on bat's and atomizers . heavy smoker since 1968, would have been smoke-free for a month now if i had a product that can stand my abuse . i want to get a joye 510 and a ladypipe rs 888 . but i can say that evan going about this the dumb way, i've saved $200 and smoked 75% less . sunday morning i lit up a nice juicy fat marb, took 2 hits , put it out and picked up my screwdriver and have been smoke-free since!!!! but if my bats and atomizer's don't get here by friday , well it'll be back to marb's till they get here. i'am not a tech-head or a health-nut , but why did'nt they come up with this vaping 10/20 years ago ?

crazyeagle55

Jun 18, 2009
i got my sd from across the pond too on 11 june, after paying too much for a "smokingeverywhere" rn-4081 and than moved on to a dse901, which i like when working , but the screwdriver is better . i'am new at this, and i'am hard on bat's and atomizers . heavy smoker since 1968, would have been smoke-free for a month now if i had a product that can stand my abuse . i want to get a joye 510 and a ladypipe rs 888 . but i can say that evan going about this the dumb way, i've saved $200 and smoked 75% less . sunday morning i lit up a nice juicy fat marb, took 2 hits , put it out and picked up my screwdriver and have been smoke-free since!!!! but if my bats and atomizer's don't get here by friday , well it'll be back to marb's till they get here. i'am not a tech-head or a health-nut , but why did'nt they come up with this vaping 10/20 years ago ?

Nephthys

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Denver
Nice review. Someone should "sticky" this. Vapers who have never had an SD always say it is so big. It is the same size as the 901 and fits nicely in your hand.

I really should take pictures. All the video reviews I saw had male reviewers, so it was hard to really gauge the size of the SD. I have really small hands (ring size 5/6) but it fits nicely. My pinky needs to reach more to hit the button, but it took no time at all to get it into muscle memory.

I'll try to get pics tonight.

JABLUES

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
east coast
Just wanted to add my undying love for the SD but my disaster story that follows..i stood up 2 days ago forgetting the SD was in my lap..it hit the floor hard and broke off the black cap. Worse was it got stuck in the on position. I tried desperately to fix it but no way. This was at about 2:00 am. I email trog and asked for help..he got back to me by 9:00 am with instructions on shipping and a minimal fee for repairs and to ship it back. The guy is tops in my book..great product and great customer service!! So now i sit and vape with my backup 901 which is good, but not an SD and i just cant wait to get it back. Trog..thank you very much...someone should give this guy an award...:cool:

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I really should take pictures. All the video reviews I saw had male reviewers, so it was hard to really gauge the size of the SD. I have really small hands (ring size 5/6) but it fits nicely. My pinky needs to reach more to hit the button, but it took no time at all to get it into muscle memory.

The first thought I had when I got it was... wow, it's not that big.

I do the pinky thing too, but most times I just place the button end in my palm and press as needed.

DrSarcasmo

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
Los Angeles
Just got my SD yesterday. This is my first PV. As a 25 analog a day smoker, I needed a PV with some kick and it had to last a while. The SD is perfect. My first battery lasted 11 hours (infrequent use). I was impressed. Current battery is at 11 hours now too. It's nuts!

The button is nice. I use the knuckle of my pinky to trigger it, so I dubbed it the KnuckleButton.

I haven't had a single puff of an analog since Thursday morning. Looks like I'm finished with them! We'll see...

Dickie

boss

May 15, 2009
...The button is nice. I use the knuckle of my pinky to trigger it, so I dubbed it the KnuckleButton.

i love the SD, but could never get the hang of using my fingers on the button (my inarticulate digits!), i hold it between two large fingers and thumb, and use the palm of my hand to press the button, can do this ambidextrously now as well:D

nice review, Nephthys:)

Palmetto

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
USA
i love the SD, but could never get the hang of using my fingers on the button (my inarticulate digits!), i hold it between two large fingers and thumb, and use the palm of my hand to press the button, can do this ambidextrously now as well:D

I do the same, Boss -- but I'm still perfecting the left hand technique, clutz that I am.:)

AGNES PEACOCK

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
The Mother Lode, California

Hello Nephthys:

I really enjoyed your refreshing, well spoken female review. I am looking forward to your pictures. Don't forget to paint your nails, Tee hee.. A video from the female side of view really is needed. You should consider doing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread