SCREWDRIVER review after a month of problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

robw

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2008
Austin Texas
I had not really done a screwdriver review because I had battery problems with the ones that were supplied by trog. I gave the Screwdriver to my wife and she constantly complained to me that it didnt work.

So on the advice of Trog I ordered the batteries from DX he listed on his forum
DealExtreme: $6.99 SpiderFire LC-16340 3.6V 880mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries (4-Pack)

Well it took a while to get them and in the time while waiting I got my wife a USB which she is now using. The new batteries sat for a week until I got around to charging them.

So now onto the review. I charged the new batteries from DX and decided to use the screw driver for an entire day exclusively. I started off putting a cart in I had got in my 901 kit from Puresmoker. I never used the carts in the 901 because I felt like the cart was not a good performer.

In the screwdriver however the cart performed much better from the start. So I sat watching TV and smoking the SD. I started to count puffs. Each puff was 4 seconds. I got a ton of vapor on each puff, and the hit was better than from the 901 battery. The count was 40 before the cart went dry. So I popped another cart in, and this time I got 70 puffs before it went dry. I then did yet another cart and got 50 puffs before I went to sleep. I woke up the next morning and the cart produced another 20 puffs before going dry. So now im a full day and 180 puffs on the same battery. I put some coffee from CASH in the dry cart and got about 20 puffs before the coffee flavor was gone, but the dry cart some how magically had another 10 puffs of the regular cart flavor.

Im now on 210 puffs and the battery is still going. I put more coffee in and did 20 more puffs and the last 3 felt like the battery was getting weaker. So in total 230 4 second puffs on 1 battery.

So the screwdriver performs great on the DX batteries.

The Switch is a problem though. The contact on the switch does not always work. I push on the switch the same way each time and some times it works some times it does not. I find my self listening for the sizzle before drawing. It works more times than it does not so Im not to concerned with it. A better switch can be installed though.

As most people have said the screwdriver is a work horse. The major problem for me was the batteries. I'm in the minority of people who have had battery problems though. I see many people who have had zero problems from the begining.

The fact that the SD takes a standard 901 atomizer means it has a potentially long life span. As long as 901's are being made the SD is a good choice to the standard 901 battery.

I personally prefer a USB battery on my 901 atomizer but the wire may not be for everyone. The SD is more masculin and a good conversation e-cig. I like the feel of the SD and it is easy to get used to the switch, however I still find my self forgetting to use the switch and drawing on a cold atomizer.

I think for what it is, a big battery, it is a good product. I think though there is a misconception about the screwdriver that new e-smokers have. The SD does not make a 901 perform better. It simply allows the 901 to perform its best for a longer time. A fresh 901 battery will work just as well, but not for as long. The screw driver allows a 901 to go much longer before the voltage drops down to unsatisfactory levels.

I find my self grabbing the SD for the last couple days instead of hooking my USB to my IPOD battery. It is much easier to carry. When Im at the computer or in the car, im on USB.

I think the SD is a good choice for the purpose of having a small form factor long lasting 901. The 901 is a polled favorite, and to me produces the best flavors of all e-cigs ive tried. Having a longer lasting compact battery in the SD is a good combination. The fact that the DX batteries are really cheap to buy is also a major plus. If the switch could be perfected I would say this is a perfect design. I would also like to see a light to show the device is functioning, but that is just my personal preference.

SMILIN

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2008
CHITOWN USA
www.vapor4life.com
Robw,

I had the same issues with the screwdriver, looking for da bomb nic dilivery system. I ended up returning it, after some words with Trog. I still wanna get one that works proper. I read the thread regarding poor batteries about 10 days ago, and realized damn, it could have been 2 bad atomizers, along with 2 bad batteries. I am still using abolut 5-12 pens in a day, and when I go out, carryy at least a half dozen, just to have enough. Hopefully Trog will get that new switch nin there, along with the option of using multiple atomizers, and I will buy another one....unless someone else comes up with something more powerful.

Thanks for the honesty, and review. Good luck in your journey.

blotter

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
Portland, OR
I have had the opposite experience with the batteries. The batteries supplied with the screwdriver have been great and the spider fires were a bit hit and miss. I actually had one overheat in my pocket and nearly burn my leg. Pulled it out and the dang thing cooked itself until the charge ran out. I was afraid the darn thing might explode, lol! Probably my own fault as I'm not really accustomed to carrying bare batteries in my pocket... maybe had some change contact the ends of the battery? No idea really. Had another spider come off the charger and sit for about a week and lost most of it's charge when I went to use it. Only got about 2 hours of infrequent vaping from it. Thats just my experience.

All in all I love my screwdriver though. I have no problems with the device itself, switch works fine. Atomizers are the weak link here but there's not a whole lot that can be done on that front.

my 2 cents.

robw

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2008
Austin Texas
These batteries are not expensive so the probability that they are bad is pretty high. They may be rechargeable but to the China suppliers they are disposable and not much quality control goes into the production.

901 Atomizers are also known to fail frequently and are the most likely to go weak from dry smoking. I have already watched my fair share crap out.

However the 901 is also in my opinion the best flavor producer. So that makes the SD a good product because every consumable part of it is cheap to get. There is no problem picking up half a dozen atomizers and batteries with out breaking the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread