Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I use TC with SS at anywhere between 370 F and 415 F. I add 8% water to my VG/Nicotine mix, no PG. The 8% water gives a viscosity approximately equal to 30% PG. I don't like PG and it does not like me.

That is definitely all pluses for safety.

In my previous post I forgot to also mention that just as the PG and VG can break down at higher temps, we do not know what happens to all the flavors at those temps. It may be nothing, it may be bad for some and not for others. That is an "unknown risk" at this point. I would still say it's safer than smoking though.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Saw on the news last night that a new e cigarette study showed that while less likely to cause cancer, long term use of an e cigarette causes you to be twice as likely for a heart attack.

I can't remember who did the study though I do believe it was a college.

I may have to give up vaping because of my family health history. This makes me really bummed as I recently got into rdas, coil building and making my own juice.

My girlfriend wants us to quit right now after seeing that but I'm not finding it easy. Just really bummed.

Does anyone have any other info related to this?
Wow, I just saw this in my inbox. Luckily, there are many members here who can help allay your fears. I read several replies to your post and I agree with each one.

I get harassed on FB by a mom who thinks I should stop vaping (because she careso_O). She sent me studies that she dug up and I sent them to 4 people I know, one, my nephew who is a chemical engineer. They all found flaws and lacking common practices, such as double blind tests.

Don't forget, there are many scientists out there chomping at the bit to line their pockets with government funding. If you want to learn more about the FDA and "certain" scientists, read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell.

Btw, I just had my annual physical and I have 100% oxygen saturation and a regular heartbeat (unlike my family members). I've been vaping for 5 years, the first year was double dipping and I started smoking as a teen. And I'm not going to tell you how old I am now:p

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Wow, I just saw this in my inbox. Luckily, there are many members here who can help allay your fears. I read several replies to your post and I agree with each one.

I get harassed on FB by a mom who thinks I should stop vaping (because she careso_O). She sent me studies that she dug up and I sent them to 4 people I know, one, my nephew who is a chemical engineer. They all found flaws and lacking common practices, such as double blind tests.

Don't forget, there are many scientists out there chomping at the bit to line their pockets with government funding. If you want to learn more about the FDA and "certain" scientists, read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell.

Btw, I just had my annual physical and I have 100% oxygen saturation and a regular heartbeat (unlike my family members). I've been vaping for 5 years, the first year was double dipping and I started smoking as a teen. And I'm not going to tell you how old I am now:p

Couldn’t agree more to that statement about government funding. And that’s awesome that your health has improved since vaping.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Hate to say this due to you all opening that like but personally I never open crap news on vaping as the more people that go there the higher up the google search it is. So never click on negative stories

And they get advertising revenue - starve them by ignoring.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2012
San Antonio
I don't know what you saw but let's talk about those risk estimates for a second. If they're not put into perspective then they're absolutely meaningless.

Let's say your chance of getting hit by a flying horse is 0.05%. Then let's assume when you wear a wristwatch your chance of getting hit by a flying horse is doubled! :eek:
Oh wait, that's still only 0.1%. Is it more likely? Yes. Does it matter? Nope.

So by just saying "that doubles the risk" in reality nothing has been said to really assess the risk.
Bingo. A while back I listened to an analysis of how advertising and marketing uses statistics that way.

AlleyKat

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Seattle, WA
I suffered 3-4 months of what my doctor termed "chronic bronchitis" every winter for nearly 2 decades...since I switched to vaping, completely abandoning burning tobacco, I have had only ONE mild case of bronchitis (coupled with a sinus infection). My doctor believes vaping is the reason for this dramatic improvement in my condition.
As a person with other breathing issues from allergies, let me also state that my allergist believes that part of my increase lung-function on the "peak flow meter" (for those not in the "know" - it's a device you take the deepest breath you can & then blow into as a simple way to measure how well you're breathing) year round is due to the switch from smoking to vaping.
Vaping may not be "perfect" -- but as the ONLY nicotine substitute product that ever helped me (& got me completely away from smoking tobacco + its multitude of added god-knows-how-many chemical), I advocate it as a "harm reduction" & feel good/smell less like an ashtray to as many people as I can get to listen. I even carry throw away drip-tips for those smokers who want to try vaping with a hit off my device...they're very cheap & who knows, I may improve someone's life!

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Hmm...I'm 68 next month, and I haven't had even a cold in about 4 or 5 years and used to get a flu/bronchitis every winter almost before vaping regularly. I think its due to the rise in body temp when I vape nicotine. I have to chill out during summers in Hawaii because I'll get sweats after a few good tokes.
I also chain vape which has other not so great side effects (for me) like some wheezing at night and in the morning which I know is caused by my chain vaping (not so good). Its still way better than smoking all day: Moderation; must be moderate (my mantra). I am very PC with good nutrition too.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've had two colds since switching and both of them passed very quickly (think, a day or two). I can't remember that happening since I was a kid. I was very shocked not to "need" my preemptive "I am going to need treatment for either bronchitis or pneumonia now." In fact, I pretty much had "straight" pneumonia that kept coming back the last 18 months I smoked, and was about to be slapped with the dreaded "COPD" diagnosis.

Every time I see my doc, he states my lung function has improved. It's good enough for me, that's for sure.

Anna

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Oh I forgot to mention that I do use TC exclusively, BUT I don't enjoy the vape under 450F. 2,5mm OD, SS316, .45 Ohms, 470 to 480F, 20 watts.
Yes I do chain vape and I do have chronic low level congestion just because of how much I vape every day.:glug:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Oh I forgot to mention that I do use TC exclusively, BUT I don't enjoy the vape under 450F. 2,5mm OD, SS316, .45 Ohms, 470 to 480F, 20 watts.
Yes I do chain vape and I do have chronic low level congestion just because of how much I vape every day.:glug:

It hasn't been 100% proven, but there are early test results (using 90VG/10DW mixes) that seem to indicate that adding 10% distilled water (DW) to your juice mix can raise the temp at which oxidation of juice starts occurring at bad levels. If you need to vape higher than 450F you might consider working some DW into your juice recipes to reduce risk. Maybe lower PG by 15%, raising VG by 5% and adding the 10% DW, to try and keep the overall viscosity similar.

Pleski

Mar 24, 2012
Sydney
At room temp they are all benign and pose 0 risk. The problem is when heated to 450F+ the Glycol and Glycerine can begin to Oxidize into various aldehydes including formaldehyde. This is why using TC to stay at or below 450F is necessary if you want to avoid this. At this point there is some anecdotal evidence that adding 10% distilled water can reduce this effect, but this hasn't been fully tested yet.

Yes, I think Farsalinos talked about this. But even still, the debate is being framed about "ecigs", not high temp vapers. It's kind of like saying "toast is a health risk because people burn it

Also I think tobacco cigarettes have glycol in them, so that's being burnt at high temperatures anyway".

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

When I smoked I used to get a bad cold or two every winter. Since I started vaping 8 years ago I hardly every have more than a sniffle. I ordered a pulse oximeter several years ago just to monitor my pulse and oxygen saturation while exercising and riding my stationary bike. I routinely get 99-100% OSAT while doing 6 miles on the bike and while resting and watching TV. Resting pulse is in the low/mid 50s to low 60s. I vape here and there while exercising and OSAT is always 98% or better under load.

I'll have to say that my respiratory and cardiac health is noticeably better after vaping for almost a decade compared to the years when I smoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread