DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I hope this is OK to add here:

Just when you thought you had heard it all, I saw a report on this on my local station a couple nights ago. I couldn't find their story online, but this is the story, almost verbatim: Teens who use e-cigarettes exposed to toxic chemicals, study finds

Short version, this was based on a study of just over 100 teens, supplying urine and saliva samples and testing them for "toxic chemicals." A Dr. John Spangler makes such claims as “acrolein is so toxic that it is used in chemical weapons” and “acrylonitrile is another chemical that’s found in this study… if you breath it in, it will irritate your lungs. It also is possibly related to brain cancer and breast cancer.” I have no idea of how they made the jump from "toxic chemicals" in urine and/or saliva samples to vapers vaping those chemicals? I actually believe I am using "cleaner" juice then that!

Just a little research reveals the probable biases of the organizations funding this "study", participating physicians, and Dr. Spangler himself who has received at least one $1.6M grant and has opened “a tobacco-cessation clinic".

Against my better judgement, my e-mail has been sent to said stations "news" director!
I think it's time to start holding people accountable for their lies. Unfortunately, the law no longer holds NEWS to actually be news and true. The most honest they have to be is the same level as advertisements. And, we know how honest those are.

What I really wish is that some of the 'authorites' would get caught, actual written proof in emails or somewhere that they knew they were spreading lies and doing it anyway. Certainly that could be prosecuted, I hope.

My 7 year vapeversary was last week. In my opinion, vaping has already saved my life!

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I think it's time to start holding people accountable for their lies.

Would it be that difficult or unreasonable to ask Dr. Spangler, since e-cigarettes contain or produce "chemicals used in chemical weapons", why there are no cases of hospitalizations or deaths from breathing/inhaling those chemicals in 10 years of e-cigarette use?

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Hate to say this due to you all opening that like but personally I never open crap news on vaping as the more people that go there the higher up the google search it is. So never click on negative stories

I take a little different approach, I post as much information in the comments as possible. I have collected a fair amount of research myself and whenever I can I share it with the uninformed. I even print them and leave packets in my car. Whenever someone starts talking about the evils of vaping I politely ask them to wait a minute and come back with some easy reading.

Our only chance is to fight back and spread the word. If the media won't do it we have to do it ourselves. If ever you want information just shoot me a PM, I'll be more then happy to share but don't ask if your not going to use it.

If we don't do this together we'll lose to Pharma and BT and their endless stacks of cash. Grassroots has worked before, it will work again.

Last edited:

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Would it be that difficult or unreasonable to ask Dr. Spangler, since e-cigarettes contain or produce "chemicals used in chemical weapons", why there are no cases of hospitalizations or deaths from breathing/inhaling those chemicals in 10 years of e-cigarette use?

Should ask him if he drinks water, which contains a chemical used in thermonuclear weapons (hydrogen bomb)

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I'm BBQ'ing a steak tonight. If I don't post over the next couple of days you know what happened :(

"One of the most distinctive features of summer is the rich scent of barbecue wafting through the neighborhood at dinnertime.

Many look forward to cooking outdoors where we can enjoy the precious summer weather, while cutting back on dirty dishes. But methods of cooking food on the grill can have a serious impact on your health and may contribute to life-threatening disease.

When foods are charred and smoked at high temperatures, changes occur in the chemical structure of inherent fats, proteins and sugars, creating toxic compounds. Carcinogenic substances that have been linked to pancreatic cancer and other diseases include heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons"

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I'm BBQ'ing a steak tonight. If I don't post over the next couple of days you know what happened :(

"One of the most distinctive features of summer is the rich scent of barbecue wafting through the neighborhood at dinnertime.

Many look forward to cooking outdoors where we can enjoy the precious summer weather, while cutting back on dirty dishes. But methods of cooking food on the grill can have a serious impact on your health and may contribute to life-threatening disease.

When foods are charred and smoked at high temperatures, changes occur in the chemical structure of inherent fats, proteins and sugars, creating toxic compounds. Carcinogenic substances that have been linked to pancreatic cancer and other diseases include heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons"

Cheers, I had a cheeseburger for lunch, another known killer :toast:

lynn508

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
alabam
In the last 50 years smoking was good for you. We used to do it in doctors offices. Then eggs became the cause of hardening of the arteries. Then coffee was the problem. Then sex caused cancer. Now all of a sudden they are health foods. Then people started questioning why all these things changed...now eggs are good, fat diets are better than low carb. Do you believe everything you read?

LMP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SLC Utah
E cigs have been around for 14 years, but I can't remember even a single death being reported as caused by vaping. You would think the anti vaping zealots would have at least one example to flaunt in our faces by now and smoking cigarettes can kill you in a lot less time then 14 years.

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
Saw on the news last night that a new e cigarette study showed that while less likely to cause cancer, long term use of an e cigarette causes you to be twice as likely for a heart attack.

I can't remember who did the study though I do believe it was a college.

I may have to give up vaping because of my family health history. This makes me really bummed as I recently got into rdas, coil building and making my own juice.

My girlfriend wants us to quit right now after seeing that but I'm not finding it easy. Just really bummed.

Does anyone have any other info related to this?
If you truly want to cut your risk of a heart attack, you'd be better served by starting with changing your diet. Eat more fruits and vegetables and fewer animal products - that's a start. After you do that, you may find that lowers your risk so much that vaping will be a moot point.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
If you truly want to cut your risk of a heart attack, you'd be better served by starting with changing your diet. Eat more fruits and vegetables and fewer animal products - that's a start. After you do that,

contact Bob Harper and get a sound exercise routine.

There are no guarantees, but doesn't hurt to improve your odds.

Pleski

Mar 24, 2012
Sydney
I really think you have to break it down to the components of eliquid to ask "where's the fire exactly":

Glycol and glycerine: if that's the problem why are they in foods and medicines
Food flavourings: as above, and in tobacco
Nicotine: also in pharmaceuticals, including inhaled sprays, no alarm being spread about them

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
I quit meat and most dairy when my father died of heart disease when I was 20. They knew it then. In the 70s. It was as plain as day. So I quit. Took me 25 yrs to quit dairy, but haven't looked back since. Too much evidence in support of that decision. Also quit oil. No interest in dying of heart disease or pancreatic or breast cancer like my mom or aunt did.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I hate Glantz, he emits as many "Facts" as he can, then makes stuff up. He MADE UP and it came from NOWHERE that "dual use is 5 times more toxic than just smoking."

MADE IT UP.

I find his attempts to get smokers NOT to switch disgusting... I mean, lots of folks dual use for a while. But, this was clearly a statement along with his "proofs" which were poor, simply designed to stop smokers from switching to vaping.

I guess if you smoke ONE cigarette, you deserve to DIE rather than switch to a harm reduction method.

I'm fairly certain that nicotine raises risk a BIT, but it's absolutely nowhere near as bad as smoking, period, and there is NO WAY dual use is worse than smoking there have been many well designed studies to say that it isn't BETTER than smoking, it's about the same risk level. Which makes sense to me.

Glantz never makes any sense. That article didn't scare me away from vaping ,but Glantz is new to me, and I now understand some of the hatred ECF has leveled at him. I was like, "Can it really be that bad?" well yes, I guess it CAN.

I really... Don't stop vaping without more research, especially if it means a return to smoking, which eventually, it sometimes does, even if not right away.

Anna

Nicotine pretty much raises the heartrate just a bit. So does sugar, caffiene, and even exercising. All of those things lead to increased heart disease, but it's the reporters that decide what is bad for everyone by reporting opinions that was backed by whatever researcher. They did one study a long time ago on cigalikes, and found one carcinogen that was almost as much as a regular cigarette in one particular flavor in 3 of their test studies. They reported it as being "just as bad as smoking" and quoted that statistic as proof. What it DIDN'T report, was 3/10 cigalikes had 1 carcinogen compared to the 43 found in cigarettes. In otherwords, you could say it was %99.999 safer than cigarettes (I took 42*3=126, so 1/126th as safe... we'll round it to just %99)

It has a lot to do with how it was reported.

Pretty much if you do ANYTHING, you'll have a higher risk of something. I'm sure drinking water could be found to have a higher risk of death due to drowning. It's not the fact of what was researched, it's how it's presented that people make their decision. And unfortunately, they've presented research quite poorly.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Dr. Michael Greger. Nutrition Facts. Org.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Um.....
I wrote a continuation to your post..... "After you do that," contact Bob Harper.....

Perhaps you missed my sarcasm with a touch of humor in my post? Having had a heart attack 22+ years ago, I am quite familiar with recommendations on life changes to (hopefully) avoid another. As my cardiologist said about 7 years ago, "we must be doing something right!" :w00t:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Most doctors, including mine are so glad that we quit smoking that they view vaping as a fix for a MUCH more serious health issue (smoking). My doctor runs down the checklist each visit. One of the questions is, "Still vaping instead of smoking?". When I say yes, he replies, "Good", and we go on to the next item.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I really think you have to break it down to the components of eliquid to ask "where's the fire exactly":

Glycol and glycerine: if that's the problem why are they in foods and medicines
Food flavourings: as above, and in tobacco
Nicotine: also in pharmaceuticals, including inhaled sprays, no alarm being spread about them

At room temp they are all benign and pose 0 risk. The problem is when heated to 450F+ the Glycol and Glycerine can begin to Oxidize into various aldehydes including formaldehyde. This is why using TC to stay at or below 450F is necessary if you want to avoid this. At this point there is some anecdotal evidence that adding 10% distilled water can reduce this effect, but this hasn't been fully tested yet.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
At room temp they are all benign and pose 0 risk. The problem is when heated to 450F+ the Glycol and Glycerine can begin to Oxidize into various aldehydes including formaldehyde. This is why using TC to stay at or below 450F is necessary if you want to avoid this. At this point there is some anecdotal evidence that adding 10% distilled water can reduce this effect, but this hasn't been fully tested yet.

I use TC with SS at anywhere between 370 F and 415 F. I add 8% water to my VG/Nicotine mix, no PG. The 8% water gives a viscosity approximately equal to 30% PG. I don't like PG and it does not like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread