Settling In, A Routine For Long Term Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
Like many people here I've gone through a long learning process, five months in my case. I tried different units, different liquids, learned to use the units to produce the kind of vape I want, played with various cartridge fillers, thought about what to take when leaving the house, etc. I acquired a collection of parts, liquids, and tools.

I expect to be vaping for the indefinite future, perhaps for life. Though the learning process was interesting and fun at times, my "hobbymoon" ended and I wanted a minimum hassle day to day routine which just works.

I have now settled into a routine which provides what I want as a replacement for smoking. It satisfies me without putting a significant demand on my time. I do still enjoy some hobby aspects (participating on this forum and experimenting with new flavors) but this is no longer directly related to my day to day vaping.

My daily routine is specific to the PVs I use but perhaps it will suggest some useful ideas for other vapers.

My daily routine

I use three J-Sticks. One Janty Stick and two Joye Sticks. All are the V2 model and are functionally identical:

misterroutine1.jpg

I use shredded PTB filler (Pyramid Tea Bag) in each Stick. This mod allows me to vape about 20 drops from each cartridge before having a reduction in flavor or vapor production.

Every morning I top off all three Sticks. It takes from 10 to 20 drops to fill each depending on how much I used that one on the previous day. This once per day filling is the only filling I do. Although all my Sticks could all be loaded with the same flavor, I use the three units to provide a variety for the day. One usually has my favorite flavor (DeKang Winston), one is usually one my next to favorites (DeKang Pineapple or Cappacino), and the third is some other liquid which I know I enjoy.

misterroutine2.jpg

Before going to bed I plug all three sticks into a powered USB hub to charge them overnight. This is the only charging that I do:

misterroutine3.jpg

And that's it for the basic day to day routine! Fill in the morning, use them all day, charge at night.

The fill once and charge once per day aspects of this routine eliminate the need to carry around juice/batteries/chargers and to be thinking about refills/topoffs throught the day. If one's preferred atomizer is something with a lower cartridge and/or battery capacity (e.g. a 510) then the equivalent might be filling/charging five or six units once each day. A variation which uses a PCC to recharge during the day and which uses pre-filled cartridges separate from full e-cigs could enable using fewer PVs even when they have lower capacity.

When one of the liquid bottles is very low or gets emptied in the morning I prepare a new bottle some time that day. In the evening I blow out that Stick's atomizer (the one getting a new bottle next morning) and if I'll be switching flavors in that Stick I pull its PTB filler and rinse it. If the filler seems shot in some way (discolored after washing or too compressed) I will replace it - I haven't done this so far, the PTB fillers seem to be quite reusable. I prepare 10 to 20 ml of liquid at a time so the process of cleaning one of my atomizers and setting up a new bottle for the next morning happens about once a week on average.

Here's a picture of the remaining equipment I need with this setup, not including mixing tools:

misterroutine4.jpg

1. Tweezers, to pull PTB out of cartridge when cleaning it.
2. Cartridge cap, used as a gripper to screw/unscrew 801 atomizers in J-Stick body.
3. Spare PTBs, pre-emptied.
4. Spare cartridges.
S. Spare atomizers.
6. Spare batteries.
For me about 30mg/ml nicotine is just right so I custom mix to get that. When refilling a bottle I choose a flavor from the 24 or 18 mg flavors I have in stock and mix it to 30mg with a high nicotine flavorless liquid, sometimes also mixing in a bit of VG for more vapor. I acquired an assortment of tools while learning to vape. The following two are all that I use now for mixing:

misterroutine5.jpg

1. 12ml veterinary syringe, with small diameter plastic tubing from hardware store pressed on.
2. 1ml dispensing syringe from pharamacy.
Why am I using just one kind of PV?

Many forum members enjoy using multiple types of PV. Reasons for this include making different tradeoffs (e.g. style, battery life, juice capacity) for going out vs. vaping at home, different kinds of hit from different devices, having multiple toys to play with, avoiding reliance on a single type, and more.

There are also advantages to settling on a single type and these are things which matter more to me:
1. They are easier to use on an ongoing basis. Learning to get a satisfying experience from a PV takes some time. Each type needs to be used a bit differently to get what a given person wants. E.g. automatic vs. manual, pre-heating or not, drawing hard vs. drawing slowly, avoiding leaks. When I was alternating between two devices I found I had to think about what I was doing more than I do now.
2. If a particular PV becomes the most satisfying one, and it travels well, it is nice to always have that best one available.
3. The spare part collection is smaller and cheaper. Each spare part can be used with any of the devices.
4. The maintenance routines are simpler since all the units are the same.

I was fortunate that I only tried two types of PV before finding one which works very well for me. I first used manual Joye 510s and soon after added a Janty Stick to the mix. It took a few months of experimenting with juices and fillers and of learning to vape effectively before I felt I had learned to get the best result from each. I ended up feeling unsatisfied with my 510 experience. I couldn't get a consistent vape from them except when using a pass-through, they heat up too much for the rapid puffing I like to do, and I didn't get as much vapor from them as from the Joye Stick. OTOH, I was quite satisifed with the Stick. I like the vapor I get from the 801 adapters and they don't have any noticeable drop-off in power until the battery is empty. If I hadn't been happy with the Stick I definitely would have gone on to try another device. But since I was happy with it I bought two more and shelved my 510s. (Actually, have sold one 510 kit and am keeping the other as extra backup until I get a fourth J-Stick.)

My stash

To finish this story with a bit of fun, a picture of my juice stash (roughly a one year supply):

misterroutine6.jpg

Last edited:

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
Awesome. I hate to say it but you haven't even tried 5 or 6 volts yet? Man...so much better IMO and many others. If you plan on vaping for the rest of your life I would HIGHLY recommend getting a HV PV. Food for thought. Cheers.
Actually I'm afraid of trying them. If I like them much more than what I'm using then I'd probably find myself buying enough to entirely replace my Sticks, and I'm also worried about higher ongoing costs. High voltage users seem to go through atomizers more often. (Correct me if I'm wrong, that's my impression from the posts I've read.) I haven't blown an atomizer yet. Since I'm quite happy with the J-Sticks my current goal is to reach break-even on money spent vaping vs. what smoking would have cost for the same time. After reaching break-even (and making my stash "free" in that regard) I may be more tempted to start exploring new options ;)

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
Heh, I thought I was the only one to mark my bottles with a black sharpie. I do it to mark the open bottles...what are your marks for?
Me too, same thing!

Though I've become a bit inconsistent now. At one point I reorganized everything to segregate the long term stash in a storage box vs. a small number of bottles in current use in my desk. I don't mark in-use bottles now (they're all opened) but the ones in long term storage are marked if opened.

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks for putting this together. It was great to be able to "see" a routine for long-term, happy vaping.

I found your description of your routine very encouraging in that it shows there is a possibility for simplifying the process and what that can look like.

This should be suggested reading for all with growing collections of e-juice, pv's, chargers, mixers, blue foam vs ptb questions, and pc's.
How do you carry your Sticks during the day? 3 seems like are real pocketful.
Vape On!

Last edited:

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
Thanks SuZamme!

How do you carry your Sticks during the day? 3 seems like are real pocketful.

Interesting, this has become habit already and I had to stop to think.

When I'm going out for a full day I take all 3 Sticks. When I'm going out on an errand I take two (never want to get caught without :) )

When I'm wearing a suit (which I always do when going out to work, usually unnecessary, just personal preference) I have two in suit pockets and one in pant pocket.

When dressed casually I have one in pant pocket and one or two in shirt pocket.

Around the house I have just one in a pocket.

On thinking about this I can see I'll need something else when summer arrives and I'll sometimes not be wearing a shirt with a pocket. I like belt clip / pouches, use one for my cell phone. So I'll probably find a suitable clip pouch. (I don't like the ones which come with the Stick, they're too tight.)

I also realized while thinking about this that it was another factor in liking the J-Sticks. They're an easier fit in a pocket than cigarette style PVs. I tried using a pen clip to hold a 510 in a shirt pocket but it just didn't work as well as dropping a J-Stick in. A 510 in a pants pocket didn't work at all for me. And the PCC I got was too large to be inconspicuous (or even comfortable) in a shirt pocket.

im lost, dont know where to go.. can one of you please help!? i have bought numerous e-cigs and never could get a good vape. i mean blowing out clear, no vape come out or hardly at all so i broke down and bought a joye510. still cant get a good vape. i believe im using a bad e-liquid or a cheap version because i got it from litecigusa.net. just seems cheap and bad taste. my carts are filled properly, fully charged battery etc. cant figure iut out. i know i can have that many busted ones. ANY suggestions anyone?

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
im lost, dont know where to go.. can one of you please help!? i have bought numerous e-cigs and never could get a good vape. i mean blowing out clear, no vape come out or hardly at all so i broke down and bought a joye510. still cant get a good vape. i believe im using a bad e-liquid or a cheap version because i got it from litecigusa.net. just seems cheap and bad taste. my carts are filled properly, fully charged battery etc. cant figure iut out. i know i can have that many busted ones. ANY suggestions anyone?
Hi chicago_made,

I don't know what to suggest. There's something odd going on. You might try to work it out by reading the following posts and see if something in one of them rings a bell:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...buying-using-electronic-cigarette-primer.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...7-ecf-troubleshooting-guide-revision-3-a.html

Also, I suggest posting your question on the New Members Forum at New Members Forum - E-Cigarette Forum, you will probably get more people reading it and replying by putting it there.

Good luck, I hope you get it working soon.

Last edited:

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
If you don't mind me asking Mister roughly how much did you pay for that year supply of liquid? I'm still going through the process of ordering liquid to stock up and I'm curious how much of a dent in my wallet I can expect from doing so
I've kept a list of all transactions related to vaping since I started, including purchases of tea bags, mixing equipment, PG/VG, etc.

But I'm afraid I can't directly answer the question about liquid cost without doing a lot of digging for bills and receipts. I didn't break down the transactions by hardware vs liquid in my record and many transactions involved both.

Three notes before I present the numbers:
1) My transactions are in Canadian dollars. Exchange rates have been fluctuating a lot. A reasonable guess would be 5% less on the total over time if it were in US$
2) Most of what I've bought has been from China, and some of it from what looked like particularly good deals. In addition I've bought some inexpensive high nic liquid for mixing which further reduces the cost a bit (not a huge impact, but every bit has added up.) It will take some careful shopping (though not an extreme search for best prices) to achieve the same result.
3) The total I've spent represents in total roughly a 17 month juice supply (nearly 12 months on hand, 6 months used so far but reduced to 5 months when allowing for cigarettes I smoked while adapting.) But I don't think it represents a 17 month hardware supply - I think it unlikely that the hardware I have on hand will last that long. (Though I don't know.)

So, the numbers:

The total I've spent on equipment and liquids (including an offset for the 510 equipment I sold, including small stuff like tea bags and mixing tools, and including $66 for snus which won't be something everyone needs) is $1,328.85.

The total I've saved by not smoking, including a reduction by the amount I spent on cigarettes since starting (I switched slowly, continuing to smoke a reducing amount for quite a while) I figure at $1392 as of today.

I hadn't checked my status recently, and WOW! Your question got me to check and I've actually passed the break-even point! With 3 J-Sticks, 2 510s, assorted tools, and almost a year of liquid in hand. I'm so happy!!!

Last edited:

Wireguy

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham Al
If you bought it from Litecigusa you bought good stuff. I've been buying from Shawn for several months and never gotten a bad device or bad liquid. You've bought numerous e-cigs and never could get a good vape. Sounds like user error to me. You say you have done everything properly. How do you know? Are you an expert? Start a thread and ask questions.

Dogsbody

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2010
Australia
I hadn't checked my status recently, and WOW! Your question got me to check and I've actually passed the break-even point! With 3 J-Sticks, 2 510s, assorted tools, and almost a year of liquid in hand. I'm so happy!!!

Grats man!

I am a new convert to the JStik, sure wish I had your mindset to just be happy with one model that works well. I still feel the need, to try everything e-cig and it will be a very long time if I ever break even.

Having three Sticks would sure have its advantages, I wish I thought to do just that, would have saved hundreds on getting different batts attys carts chargers PCC's etc..

brandon555

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2010
Wisconsin
Nice routine... When I started vaping my "routine" was chaotic and I would unnecessarily bring a stock pile of batteries, cartos, chargers and fluids with me to work... Now it's organized chaos at least.

I too have found that I like to have three PV's handy. Right now I have an auto KR8, manual KR8, and an auto 901. Each with different flavors. Camel, Rum and Coke, and Chocolate Mint respectively. One flavor can get nauseating so its nice to be able to switch at will without any cleaning or hassle.

I'm starting to realize that I like robust, earthy flavors like Coffee, Marlboro, and Camel even though I was a menthol analog smoker. So at least now I know what to order and won't use the "shotgun" method when ordering E-Juice and end up with 30 ml bottles of stuff like Dr. Pepper that I know I will never use.

Nice post... Good to see you've found what you like without too much trial and error. Maybe I'll motivate myself to organize my stuff so I don't waste so much time charging, filling, and cleaning when I could be vaping instead.

boochips

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Marianna, Florida
I have a system too after 7 months of vaping.
It's true what they say, find your equipment and your juice.
I use a Silver Bullet with an 801 and a Chuck with a 510. I use my own homemade menthol juice and occasionally try a new juice, either homemade or a small bottle from whoever I buy attys from at the time.
I only vape 6 volts so I have a battery case from battery Junction and carry extra charged batteries with me although I almost NEVER use more than 2 sets a day. I never mess with carts, I drip only.
Just this week I ordered an adapter and a few cartomizers to try and use while driving to and from work. So far I like them, but just for driving.

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
Mister, after reading your post I decided to make my life simpler as well. I've put away all the "unnecessary" stuff, gotten the "necessary stuff" down to a minimum, use Dogsbody (thanks Dogsbody) refill and I don't spend a fraction of the time fiddling as I originally did. Oddly enough, it gives me less anxiety to fool with it less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread