Status
Not open for further replies.

thegrindre

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2011
Central Arkansas
allricksstuff.com
Has this been asked lately?
Should we start stocking up on supplies?
Will e-juice last a long time? (Shelf life?) Can you freeze it?
I only vape flavorless 50/50 juice any more. I quit the crazy flavor fad.
If the FDA wins, my goose is cooked.
I'm starting to panic. HELP!

Thanks,

Last edited:

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
Find this key on your keyboard, press it a couple of times. You'll be fine.

panic.jpg

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
I do not think it is time to start to panic but to prepare. If anything is done by the FDA it would likely take 2-3 months and possibly longer. IMO the thing that the FDA will be really making hard to get your hands on is nicotine, or nicotine in strengths higher than 3mg. If this was to occure I have already purchased some DIY flavorless nicotine in somewhat bulk. As far as tanks, carts, etc that are empty of fluid I believe at this point and time we are good.

thegrindre

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2011
Central Arkansas
allricksstuff.com
You guys are crackin' jokes while I'm coming apart at the seems.
Listen, I smoked for over 47 years and couldn't quit until I found these things. I'm still a nervous wreck. I can't afford to have this industry pulled out from under my feet.
It's saved my life. I'm still hooked on the habit, only it's vaping, now.

Last edited:
Has this been asked lately?
Should we start stocking up on supplies?
Will e-juice last a long time? (Shelf life?) Can you freeze it?
I only vape flavorless 50/50 juice any more. I quit the crazy flavor fad.
If the FDA wins, my goose is cooked.
I'm starting to panic. HELP!

Thanks,

It's a bit early to panic, but it's not too early to respond intelligently just in case. I did.

Even post the release of proposed regulations there will be a comment period and a delay until they go into effect. There'll be time to decide the appropriate response then, if you want to wait.

If you don't want to wait, you can always buy unflavored PG e-juice now and freeze it. PG keeps better than VG does, and freezing it extends the lifespan. I'm not sure we even know how long, but 2 years is the minimum number I've read. I wouldn't be surprised to find that PG based e-liquids in the freezer, stored in amber glass to reduce light degradation, would easily last five years.

In your case, you'd want to purchase concentrate at double your mg level (so buy 24 if you use 12 in your vape) and mix with 50% VG when you need some. Always wear gloves when working with any concentrate, although levels under 30 aren't terribly toxic. Still, better safe than sorry.

I use 100 mg/ml concentrate to make my e-liquids, but in that case you MUST wear gloves. Until you're comfortable handling this, I don't recommend purchasing at that level.

Exact measurements are also a must. I use a large syringe and graduated cylinders to mix, measuring to 0.1 ml accuracy over 250 ml of liquid.

VG, your other component, won't be controlled. It's used in lotion making, soap making, baking, and dozens of other places. It's a really good humectant and commonly available.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The other thing you have to worry about is vaping hardware. From what I see, the FDA could well ban anything like a mod and attys/carts/cartos/clearos as "dr*g paraphernalia." Unless you can DIY your own mods using bits and pieces, about the only hardware-wise thing we use that would be exempt are naked batteries.

And bear in mind that once the gummint gets its filthy claws into something, it doesn't let go. You know that federal excise tax on land-line phones? That was originally enacted to help pay for the Spanish-American War of 1898! So, if you're of the mind to do so, I'd encourage you to eventually stock up on enough hardware to last much, if not all, of your life.

Even if our e-liquids and hardware don't get banned outright, they're bound to become hideously more expensive once the feds, the states and the local governments sink their fangs into us vapers for tax revenues. Think of cigarettes: the retail price for a carton of cigarettes would only be about $6.00 -- the rest of what we used to pay is taxes.

Last edited:
It's difficult to stock hardware if you use an integrated battery-unit like the eGo, Volt X2, and whatnot. Lithium batteries, even stored perfectly, have a limited lifespan. After five years, your investment is toast.

If you're going to stock hardware, get one with replaceable batteries. I currently have a Bolt, which I could rebuild (or build!) from scratch myself if I had to. I also have an eGo upgrade that has a separate battery.

I don't know that we have a good base-line on how long electronic vaporizers last yet. Some, like the Provari, are probably going to last a long time. Others, not so much. Hence the Bolt, it's completely mechanical. The button will eventually need replacing, but I can get those on DigiKey.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
No need to stock batteries, mods are easy to build:

The PUCK e-Cig Mod - An e-Cigarette Box Mod You Can Build Cheap and Easy and Uses Standard Rechargable Batteries

I would like to know if there is a way to make your own heads, I have lots of ViVi Nova heads and know how to rebuild them but the little fiberglass sleeves presumably have a use life, mine are getting charred-looking. I got extra bottom-plug seals from Avid Vapers, so the sleeves and tank tubes are the only part I don't know how to rebuild. It would be nice to know how to build an atty from scratch.

I agree with most folks here that nicotine (and, for me, WTAs) are the only scary part. The FDA already tried to ban e-cig hardware as paraphanlia and got shot down in court.

HOWEVER, I suggest in the meantime going to your doctor about how panicked you are and tell him a letter from him to the AMA cc'd to the American Lung Association and the American Cancer Society and yourself (for forwarding to your Congresscritters) might be a help.

The big issue here is that medical heavyweights that are highly-respected are sounding out against us WITHOUT looking at the data. I've noticed a tendency of these spokesfolks for these medical bodies to have J.D. degrees instead of M.D. degrees -- that means they are LAWYERS not doctors!!!!!

Someone needs to hear from our doctors!!!!

thegrindre

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2011
Central Arkansas
allricksstuff.com
Thanks, guys. That was a bit of a relief, anyway, for now.

Flavorless juice tastes like nothing. It's tasteless also. It might taste like water. I think I can taste the nic sometimes but that might be psychological.
I've never liked the taste of analogs, it was the nic that had me hooked so flavorless is really quite fine. You still get the nic and all the vapor and your eyes and lungs think it's still smoke so it doesn't really matter.
I've read around here that the jury is still out when it comes to inhaling flavors so why take a difference unknown chance. That's how I look at it, anyway.

I did buy a 6oz. bottle of VG (Glycerin) at Wally World and I buy a 50mil bottle of flavorless PG about every month or so and mix 'em 50/50.
I have a custom bottom feeder that takes a 18650 bat. All parts seem to be replaceable except the atty. I'm averaging about 7 months per atty.

Thanks,

Last edited:

DJ RyckRak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
Somewhere in New England
The only thing one would need to stock is the nic juice...that is what that are going after, the low hanging fruit.
Right now- they see this sudden increase in vapping, and they are not getting any tax revenue from it. So, the easy thing to target is the nic juice- Tobacco-Nicotene...sounds the same to Jane public. Tax and regulate the juice, keep the average smoker away from 'Vapping'.
Stock up on Nic juice and some rebuildable atomizers and carts...everything else is DIY, including the liquids Pg/VG and flavores and Mods.
I'm only 16 days in, and I have enough supplies for at least 2 years! But, I am going to get some more nic juice, 54mg/ml PG.
Also 40+ PAD 'boro' smoker- quit the day I started vapping!

how does flavorless e-juice taste?

Actually, good question. Slightly peppery (from the nicotine) and slightly sweet (from the PG/VG). But not much of either.

Using a higher level of VG would increase the slightly sweet to "maybe that's a little sweet." But it's not going to be that noticeable.

Zero nic 100% PG unflavored would be faintly sweet with some slight throat hit.

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
My earlier post was not a joke if you took it that way. Stored nicotine is best in a cold dark place while reducing its exposure to oxygen. I am no way a guru on this, but just poured over pages upon pages of threads by those who are. From what I read it sounds that nicotine can be stored for up to five years without a great lose in its strength.

DJ RyckRak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
Somewhere in New England
"I did buy a 6oz. bottle of VG (Glycerin) at Wally World and I buy a 50mil bottle of flavorless PG about every month or so and mix 'em 50/50."

I bet Wally World is selling tons of VG, I bought the last 4 on the shelfs last night !
Looked at Rite Aid, CVS and Walgreens- nothing ???, but the nice older Pharmacist at Walgreens gave me a couple of syringes !:2cool:
I bet- if this keeps up we will see the VG moved behind the counters, like the cold medicines they use to make drugs with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread