Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
SIGELEI_26650_battery_good_quality_4200_mah.jpg

Is this the battery? DON'T USE IT! :danger:

Note in the magnified circle that it says that it is an ICR battery. WRONG BATTERY CHEMISTRY for a mod, in particular if you are sub-ohming. I couldn't find any specifications for C rating or CDR for this cell. My guess is it would be under 6 amps CDR but you can't safely say without knowing the C rating. ICR batteries should only be used in low drain applications like a flashlight.

You want an IMR or IMR/hybrid battery. (high-drain, safe-chemistry)

Pick from among the 26650 IMR batteries listed in my blog: Battery Basics for Mods

MNKE 26650 3800mah 20A CDR

Panasonic 26650 CGR2650A 2650mAh 50A CDR

Orbtronic 26650 5200mah 20A CDR

Efest 26650 4200mAh 20A CDR

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Jeeze I didn't see that on the battery. It came with my mod from a b&m that I had trusted up to this point so I never bothered to check. It explains why there seemed to be significant voltage drop under load
Sigelei claims 40 amps max output but it definetly doesn't put out the power it should and heats up like crazy
So, we''ve learned several things from this:

• You can't always trust manufacturer/vendor specifications. Sometimes they are just marketing hype to make their battery appear to be superior to competitor's brands. Independent testing of battery specifications are the only way to know who is honest or dishonest.

• You can't rely on vendors (online or offline) to provide the right battery for your mod. Some of them are clueless when it comes to batteries. They think including a cheap pair of batteries with a mod sale will impress the consumer. Were you impressed after learning that's not a safe battery?

• High Quality, Brand Name Batteries. Not all battery cells are created equal. Cells are broken down into different tiers as to their quality. This is where the supplier/manufacturer comes into play. There are quite a few different makers, some you can trust, some you can’t. I will give a quick rundown of them and what makes them better.

• LG, Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony make their own cells and sell them under their own brand name. Other manufacturers, like AW and Orbtronics, buy the top tier cells from those original manufacturers, re-wrap them, and sell them under their own brand name (nothing wrong with that). Other manufacturers also buy cells from those original manufacturers, but they buy the second or third tier at a cheaper cost and then sell them under their own brand name ... some over-rating the battery specifications to make them appear superior to competitors. And still others who harvest old used batteries from laptops or power tools, re-wrap the cells, and sell them as new batteries under another name.

• So Segelei claims a 40 amps max output? That would be ither a "pulse amp rating", which we don't pay any attention to for vaping purposes, or a huge exageration. What's important to us is the "maximum continuous discharge rating", or CDR. This is a universal battery spec common to all legit battery manufacturers allowing comparisons between one battery to another. Pulse ratings are worthless.
Segelei is primarily known as a mod manufacturer, not known to make batteries in any fashion. Their Segelei batteries are most likely a re-wrap of another manufacturer. I personally would never use any battery which I didn't know who the original manufacturer is or what the true battery specs are. As you well know now for yourself.

Last edited:

T4T3Z0R

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Brevard, NC, USA
You know with as many people as I've pointed to your battery basics blog you think I would have been more careful *facepalm* I always assume the amperage rating on batteries that aren't made by the big names to be pulse ratings (at least efest taught me something lol). After going back into the b&m today and asking if they sold any other 26650s and getting the response "I can't really get in any others and plus they aren't ones you'd want" and when discussing modern drippers I commented that I remember when you had to debridge little 510 atties to drip and he just gave me a blank stare, not even my love of supporting local businesses makes me want to go back. Just wish I could find a source for the Panasonic cgrs.

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just wish I could find a source for the Panasonic cgrs.
There apparantly isn't much of a demand on the open market for these batteries. At the present time, they are only used in power packs for power tools. Much like the Sony VTC batteries, until some suppliers found some easy sources to supply vapers with them.

You might want to write RTD Vapor or Illumn to see if they would be interested in carrying the Panasonic CGR's.

Panasonic%20CGR26650A%2026650%20Battery_03.jpg

Reactions: Mooch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread