Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Just as @Kazuko said, it is the coils that determine ramp up time.

I run mechs almost exclusively, except one regulated mod (DNA 75c), and I have the same ramp up on all of my mods. They all fire instantly no matter if I am using a 20a 2500mah battery, or a 30a 4000mah battery. Since I use single coil RDAs, there is not a lot of metal to heat up and ramp up time is short. If I used dual coils, I would have double the metal to heat up and I would have a very noticeable ramp up time.

When building coils, paying attention to the mass of a coil is important if ramp up time matters to you. Or you can use a pre-heat feature (or boost) found on most modern regulated mods to compensate for the slow ramp up of large coils.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
I'm going to suggest something : stop posting and read this (18) Baditude's Blogs | E-Cigarette Forum

This contains all the content you need to know what your vaporizers do, be it mech or regulated. Read this all, thoroughly, and THEN ask questions if you're still missing something. Take it a your own pace, but do it. You don't know what you're doing with your vaporizers, and I'm really concerned about you. Concerned and ......, to be honest. You've had wonderful answers since your very first thread, but you don't seem to understand them. You're trying to figure out things but you don't have the basic knowledge to understand what it is you're asking.
So yeah, I'm sorry, but I'm boycotting you until you read this.
Stay safe, don't push the limits of gear you don't understand.

Last edited:

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Just as @Kazuko said, it is the coils that determine ramp up time.

I run mechs almost exclusively, except one regulated mod (DNA 75c), and I have the same ramp up on all of my mods. They all fire instantly no matter if I am using a 20a 2500mah battery, or a 30a 4000mah battery. Since I use single coil RDAs, there is not a lot of metal to heat up and ramp up time is short. If I used dual coils, I would have double the metal to heat up and I would have a very noticeable ramp up time.

When building coils, paying attention to the mass of a coil is important if ramp up time matters to you. Or you can use a pre-heat feature (or boost) found on most modern regulated mods to compensate for the slow ramp up of large coils.
I use boost on my Paranormal DNC 250C and it heats up immediately. Its just the Hex Ohm that has a slight wait. Not even a second put u can tell the power between the 2. The Paranormal is definitely more powerful the the Hex Ohm. Like I said Im only on 80watts boost and its immediate.

• Creative
Reactions: stols001

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
I'm going to suggest something : stop posting and read this (18) Baditude's Blogs | E-Cigarette Forum

This contains all the content you need to know what your vaporizers do, be it mech or regulated. Read this all, thoroughly, and THEN ask questions if you're still missing something. Take it a your own pace, but do it. You don't know what you're doing with your vaporizers, and I'm really concerned about you. Concerned and ......, to be honest. You've had wonderful answers since your very first thread, but you don't seem to understand them. You're trying to figure out things but you don't have the basic knowledge to understand what it is you're asking.
So yeah, I'm sorry, but I'm boycotting you until you read this.
Stay safe, don't push the limits of gear you don't understand.
All I did is ask about ramp up time.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I use boost on my Paranormal DNC 250C and it heats up immediately. Its just the Hex Ohm that has a slight wait. Not even a second put u can tell the power between the 2. The Paranormal is definitely more powerful the the Hex Ohm. Like I said Im only on 80watts boost and its immediate.
:facepalm:
The boost is setting your wattage higher than 80w for a short period of time. Likely over 100w. This is compensating for the inefficiency of your coil build. Not a fair comparison since mechs (or your hex) don't do this. Turn off the boost and leave your mod set to 80w and you will see a noticeable difference in ramp up.

But if you read the links you were given MULTIPLE TIMES, ON MULTIPLE THREADS, BY MULTIPLE PEOPLE, you would already understand and not need to ask this question.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France

When you ask something mech related, you say what the build is (resistance, wire, wraps, ID). When talking about a PWM, you also say what voltage you're trying to apply, and if the batteries are fully charged.

When you ask something regulated related, you say what wattage you're at AND the boost applied, for what duration.

That's why I still think you don't know what you're talking about, you're asking stuff but not stating the specs around your assumptions.

Also, there is no delay between the time of pressure and the time current starts to flow through the circuit with a mech mod. When my coils are cold, it takes some time for any vapor to be produced, and that's normal. When I just took a vape, if I press my mech's button, I hear it sizzle instantly. Ramp up is not delay. When the circuit is closed, current flows, that's physics...

• Agree

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Im reading all the stuff now. I think the Hex Ohm was a $200 piece of hype. It was hyped up to be great but there seems to be a lot more better regulated boxes like the one I just bought.

Glad you're doing your homework!

It's American made, so pricy. It's a great PWM with interesting safety features, so not just hype IMO.
On the other hand, more affordable mods probably fit your needs better. If power is all you want, regulated mods will be easier on you, and allow for a consistent vape throughout the day, unlike a mech where the vape will get cooler as the cell discharges.

Truth is, mechs were the only way to get power when regulated mods were limited in performance, back when 15W was considered a lot. With your DNA 250C you've got more power than you need, really.
I enjoy my mech, but not because of the power it can pull, just because of the rawness of it, and the form factor. My regulated mod is more "powerful" than my mech, but not as enjoyable (to me, that is).

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018

It's American made, so pricy. It's a great PWM with interesting safety features, so not just hype IMO.
On the other hand, more affordable mods probably fit your needs better. If power is all you want, regulated mods will be easier on you, and allow for a consistent vape throughout the day, unlike a mech where the vape will get cooler as the cell discharges.

Truth is, mechs were the only way to get power when regulated mods were limited in performance, back when 15W was considered a lot. With your DNA 250C you've got more power than you need, really.
I enjoy my mech, but not because of the power it can pull, just because of the rawness of it, and the form factor. My regulated mod is more "powerful" than my mech, but not as enjoyable (to me, that is).
I like Hex Ohms cool vape. Im reading all about batteries now and it says the higher mah isnt always the best choice. Im getting 30 amp and its better to have higher cdr it will run cooler and not over heat. I also read the mech mod section. Thanks for the link. Im going down the list.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
I like Hex Ohms cool vape. Im reading all about batteries now and it says the higher mah isnt always the best choice. Im getting 30 amp and its better to have higher cdr it will run cooler and not over heat. I also read the mech mod section. Thanks for the link. Im going down the list.
The ohms law has me a little confused. I read from what u gave me Imren is a cheap rewrapped battery. Mooch rates it at just 17 amps. If Im exceeding that in the Hex Ohm and putting pressure on the battery will the 30 amp battery give me a better hit? Or am I still within reason. A fully charged battery is 4.2 volts but the Hex Ohm only puts out 6 volts. I have a .4 ohm build so I dont think Im exceeding the 27 amp limit. But Im not sure. Im going to reread the ohms law again. I wasnt good at math.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio

It's not a PWM. It is a variable voltage mod. Not everything with a potentiometer is a pwm. The hex ohm is the same as a sigelei moon box or Tesla invader, the dial just controls the voltage and does not pulse the power like a pwm does.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Im reading all the stuff now. I think the Hex Ohm was a $200 piece of hype. It was hyped up to be great but there seems to be a lot more better regulated boxes like the one I just bought.
Apparently the build quality and finish are excellent,it's American made, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.That is what you are paying for.Here's another video to help you understand your device.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
First, your hexoxhm v3 is not a mechanical, it is a quasi regulated with crude basic protections that uses a potentiometer to adjust voltage going to the delivery device.
There isn't anything wrong with it, It is for advanced users that already have a firm understanding of the basics.
The basics of everything to do with vaping, not just ohms law, not just battery safety & selection, not just coil building & wire selection, not just press a button & vape, but how all of it works together and how to get the vape you want by experimenting with and using all of the variables until you find what you like best.
It is not something to set on 100%, mount some coils and expect perfection, you the user has to make all of the adjustments mentioned above. And, you have to know what you're doing & why to know which of the variables needs to be tweaked to get the vape you're looking for.

With your dna250, it does all the calculations & work for you, set the wattage, press button, enjoy vape.

If you want to decrease ramp up using the hexoxhm v3,( how fast the coil(s) in your delivery device (RDA) heat up you have to use a different build.
Resistance is only a small part of ramp up, wire type, wire gauge, coil type, coil mass, heat flux all are factors that have to be taken in consideration and experimented with.
Ramp up = how long it takes coil(s) to reach a satisfactory temperature to provide the vape you want.

Simply put, the 18 wraps of 2) 28/38 you're using has too much metal mass to heat rapidly when using the hexohmv3 fixed max voltage of 6v.
Whereas the dna250 power device is a fully regulated wattage based device, meaning you set the watts you want to power the coils(s) and it supplies whatever voltage is necessary to create the watts you set.

Last edited:

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
The ohms law has me a little confused. I read from what u gave me Imren is a cheap rewrapped battery. Mooch rates it at just 17 amps. If Im exceeding that in the Hex Ohm and putting pressure on the battery will the 30 amp battery give me a better hit? Or am I still within reason. A fully charged battery is 4.2 volts but the Hex Ohm only puts out 6 volts. I have a .4 ohm build so I dont think Im exceeding the 27 amp limit. But Im not sure. Im going to reread the ohms law again. I wasnt good at math.

If it’s an 18650, there is no such thing as a 30A CDR cell so far. Always check CDR when choosing batteries for mechs and I’ll take Mooch’s word over the manufacturer as they put the pulse discharge on the wraps. As for voltage, always calculate at 3.7 as the 4.2 will never reach the coils due to voltage drop of the mod and deck. And yes, a good understanding of ohms law is essential to be safe.

Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Disagree
Reactions: Baditude

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
If it’s an 18650, there is no such thing as a 30A CDR cell so far. Always check CDR when choosing batteries for mechs and I’ll take Mooch’s word over the manufacturer as they put the pulse discharge on the wraps. As for voltage, always calculate at 3.7 as the 4.2 will never reach the coils due to voltage drop of the mod and deck. And yes, a good understanding of ohms law is essential to be safe.

Have fun

Mooch said the Samsung 20S r true 30 amp batteries and 2000mah. Thats whats on their fb anyway.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas

Have fun

There most certainly are 30a CDR 18650's and have been for quite some time.
The 5 LG chem HB series are all 30a CDR
Samsung 20S < --- which is what the OP has ordered & waiting on to arrive.

Might want to check Mooch's tests before stating something that confuses the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread