Smokers knew what my ecig was!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catwhisperer

ECF Veteran
I was out all day saturday at a beer festival and then went bar hopping. I used my ecig in public and didn't make any attempts to hide it all day, BUT, I only used it outside, to not concern the bar staff or non-smokers, so I was surrounded by other smokers.

I was fully expecting at least one person to say "What IS that??" but the few people that asked me about it asked me how I liked my ecigarette. They knew what it was! Progress...

Jenny

blah

Feb 19, 2010
USA
I have found that going outside actually is better for a couple reasons.

A.) It gives you a chance to talk to people smoking analogs about e-cigs. Most of the equipment-suppliers for our e-cig stuff will happily send you a handful of their business cards with your order. So you can talk to smokers about your e-cig and hand them a card to find one themselves.
Whether they end up buying one for themselves or not, you have still educated them about the existence of such devices.

B.) Here in my state, there has been a smoking-ban for roughly 3 years now. So part of the analog-smoking ritual for me was going outside to smoke obviously. Switching from analogs to e-cigs was a pretty big change for me. So keeping a small part of the whole analog-smoking "ritual" alive was actually pretty helpful.

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
I was fully expecting at least one person to say "What IS that??" but the few people that asked me about it asked me how I liked my ecigarette. They knew what it was! Progress...

That's been my experience wherever I go. Very few people ever comment on my ecig and the ones that do have already heard of them. The most common thing I get asked is: "Is that one of those electronic cigarettes? Does it work?"

JoeD4

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
That's been my experience wherever I go. Very few people ever comment on my ecig and the ones that do have already heard of them. The most common thing I get asked is: "Is that one of those electronic cigarettes? Does it work?"

Same here. I still get a few "Hey, what else can you put in that thing?" type remarks. "I tell them it's only made for the PG/VG liquid. Solids won't work." Other than that, it's far and few between that haven't at least heard of them. I get lot's of "Stay strong" and "Good for you. Keep it up" sentiments. I think the more smoking cessation success stories (say that 10 times fast) that people hear the better it could go for us down the road.

TimBurns

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Eugene, oregon
Allot of the people in the smoking areas at my school seem to know what it is. But I'm so tired of then referring to all electronic cigarettes as "Blu" because of blus successful marketing campaign. I tend to have to explain to them that Blu is a brand just as Camel and Marbrol are different. That usually ends with me explaining why I picked this unit over one they "saw on TV", the worse thing I hear on a regular basis is "I ordered one of those on TV, should be here in a few weeks. It was a free trial, so now I can see how they work"

firefox335

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2010
Ohio
I have been really lucky. I've been working outside in a garden center and can pretty much vape all day long (discretely of course, not that I'm paranoid about someone freaking out because they thought I was smoking, but to me it's the same as waiting on someone with a mouthful of food in your mouth.) So anyway, a guy comes up and sees my Blu lying on the table and his eyes about pop out of his skull. then he laughs and says "Oh, I thought that was a bowl."

"You mean like a one-hitter?" I asked.

"Yeah I was gonna' say I haven't seen one of those in a while."

"Oh no," I said. "It's an electr-"

"Oh I've heard of Blu before."

He knew what they were and asked me if they worked. I told him I had gone from almost a pack and a half a day down to about 5 cigarettes a day. He was impressed. Now if I had only told him to check out the 510s first... :laugh:

I've only got about 3-4 more days outside before I'm back inside and can't vape on the job anymore *sniff* :(

nesf

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Cork, Ireland
Here in my state, there has been a smoking-ban for roughly 3 years now. So part of the analog-smoking ritual for me was going outside to smoke obviously. Switching from analogs to e-cigs was a pretty big change for me. So keeping a small part of the whole analog-smoking "ritual" alive was actually pretty helpful.

Similar thing over here, we've had a smoking ban for over 6 years now. Whenever as a smoker I was in a country that allowed smoking indoors I felt bloody weird not going outside every so often to have a smoke. Even now at home, I go outside to have a vape just out of habit a lot of the time since I've smoked outdoors at home for 5ish years and it's taking some getting used to to vape indoors and break the habit of popping outside every 15 minutes or so.

nesf

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Cork, Ireland
Everybody asks me if there is any nicotine in it. Then the second question is how much is the refill liquid and how long does a bottle last me. When I tell them, they look at their $5 pack of analogs and say, WOW! That's all? hahaha!

You should see their reaction when a pack of smokes cost $11+..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread