Smoktech ZMax Owners - Pics., Tips, Tricks and Quirks

Status
Not open for further replies.

northofamerica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
Saskatoon
Some folks are saying that they are waiting for Smoktech to make their mod so that when set to 3 volts it is 3 volts and 6 is 6 ect. When that happens that will be the day that I order my Provari because the wildly over powered aspect of it is why I like it so much. I don't consider it ruggedly built and would be terrified to drop it. Am I the only one who feels this way? I doubt it

Well, those folks don't think about people like us that love the way the these devices work. Some of us are happy and satisfied with them and do not want changes. How can I buy a second device for myself after proving that I enjoy it more than any other, when the next revision pops up with changes and is not the same?

I feel like it is very unfair to me... a consumer. I am the one that should have the voice, not haters.
Should I blame smok? Only for listening to others and not their happy customers.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Glad you love the current version of the Zmax.....if you are concerned that Smok will revise it, you could always buy a few now before the revision...just a thought...

Well, those folks don't think about people like us that love the way the these devices work. Some of us are happy and satisfied with them and do not want changes. How can I buy a second device for myself after proving that I enjoy it more than any other, when the next revision pops up with changes and is not the same?

I feel like it is very unfair to me... a consumer. I am the one that should have the voice, not haters.
Should I blame Smok? Only for listening to others and not their happy customers.

Aron Gatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Malta
Hi Folks,

the review from above link has been updated with tables showing the behavior on full vs. empty battery in both VV and VW mode (with 18350 or 18650 battery each).

Is this with the VRMS metter ? It's looks like with the 18650 is more accurate .... Well any way I am a person that go by taste not by numbers ...if a proveri set on 4.5 hits 4.5 and I like the taste it's ok and if the z/v max at 3.6 gives me the same taste as the 4.5 on the proveri I am happy aswell " maybe more cos a few clicks of a button down would has saved me 100 dollars :))

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
I have found a strange quirk to the ZMax. As others have mentioned when you change the batteries it will remember the wattage setting if you have it set for VW. But if you have the display (menu option 5 Ds) to show the battery voltage when you vape, when you change the batteries it reverts to showing the power setting. If it is going to remember the power setting, why doesn't it remember the display option also? Kind of annoying to have to set it back every time you change the battery if you want to see the battery voltage while you vape.

Aron Gatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Malta
Correct me if I'm wrong ok.... Well i have read that smoktech should have marked the z/v max to 4 to 7 v device " and I agree it could have done that ok..... But some other devices should have been marked with a 3.1 amp swicth instead of 3.5 .... Maybe I'm wrong and don't have all the info , but the info that I have is showing what I just said...
Having said this , I am not a number person ... All I know is that I love my MAX and it's build very very solid ..hit great and till now ! NO ISSUES ... So i can't understand what is faulty with this mod .... Vmax revision 3 & 4 surly come close to the best out there ..that cost a lot more ....

Stonemull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Some folks are saying that they are waiting for Smoktech to make their mod so that when set to 3 volts it is 3 volts and 6 is 6 ect. When that happens that will be the day that I order my Provari because the wildly over powered aspect of it is why I like it so much. I don't consider it ruggedly built and would be terrified to drop it. Am I the only one who feels this way? I doubt it.

Maybe they should have said that it is a 4 volt to 7 volt mod then everybody would be happy.

and here is the crux of all the confusion.
it already IS a 4.5 to 6.6v device, all they need to do is to make if a for real 3.0 to 6.6v and it will hit EXACTLY as hard as it does now, will cover the full range of provari voltages and then some. will out watt the provari .. at least in dual 18350 mode and it will perform the same on a setting whether its in dual or single battery mode.
there is NO change to hardware needed it will have the same capacity to perform as it does now.

with one caveat .. the current selected maximums are 6.0v and 15W .. these need to be changed to 6.6v and 22W to meet the same maximums as it does now. its all just software though, my bet is they take the easy route first and make it a true 6v, 15W device unforunately .. public backlash will soon change that I think.

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
does anyone know a place to pick up the SS zmax and SS topcaps in one place? i saw madvapes has the SS device but only the chrome plated endcaps. also, is the 90 day warranty from madvapes the best anyone has seen so far with this device? considering the issues with the initial runs of the vmac i am a little concerned and would like to see a warranty for at least 6 months.

that being said, i am excited about the 19 watt limit that was touted on some of the links provided. on an electronic device that is a ton of power qnd i definitely want to get my hands on this before the revisions might downgrade this current beast performance, haha!

does anyone have the SS to verify if the performance has stayed the same?

thanks!

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
and here is the crux of all the confusion.
it already IS a 4.5 to 6.6v device, all they need to do is to make if a for real 3.0 to 6.6v and it will hit EXACTLY as hard as it does now, will cover the full range of provari voltages and then some. will out watt the provari .. at least in dual 18350 mode and it will perform the same on a setting whether its in dual or single battery mode.
there is NO change to hardware needed it will have the same capacity to perform as it does now.

with one caveat .. the current selected maximums are 6.0v and 15W .. these need to be changed to 6.6v and 22W to meet the same maximums as it does now. its all just software though, my bet is they take the easy route first and make it a true 6v, 15W device unforunately .. public backlash will soon change that I think.

wow, this thing has the capacity to push 22 watts?

has anyone tried the zmax with low resistance rebuildable coils, like in the area of. 9 ohms? will the thing still fire or is it prone to the error messages that cloccur with the provari?

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
wow, this thing has the capacity to push 22 watts?

has anyone tried the zmax with low resistance rebuildable coils, like in the area of. 9 ohms? will the thing still fire or is it prone to the error messages that cloccur with the provari?
Well it won't go below 1.3 ohm and 22 watt is not exactly usable (cooked tongue)

You would be exceptionally good at making coils after vaping @22 watts.

And the SS batt caps are available numerous places

Last edited:

Aron Gatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Malta
does anyone know a place to pick up the SS zmax and SS topcaps in one place? i saw madvapes has the SS device but only the chrome plated endcaps. also, is the 90 day warranty from madvapes the best anyone has seen so far with this device? considering the issues with the initial runs of the vmac i am a little concerned and would like to see a warranty for at least 6 months.

that being said, i am excited about the 19 watt limit that was touted on some of the links provided. on an electronic device that is a ton of power qnd i definitely want to get my hands on this before the revisions might downgrade this current beast performance, haha!

thanks!

Village Ecigs Contact Form

I think here you can

jcamacho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Corpus Christi, Texas

thanks!

Allaboutvapor.com has a six month warranty on the ZMax at 125.00 for the Chrome model.

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
Do I get a new "ClearMax Owners...." thread?

ZMax internals in a clear acrylic tube, no stacked 18350 option. I believe it's assembled in the US.

Guess I shoulda took the pics with a pretty red or blue battery in instead of my ol' grey CGR.

clearmax_1.jpg clearmax_2.jpg

Last edited:

Stonemull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Is it easier on the PCB and/or battery to do say 10 watts @ 2.5 ohm than 10 watts @ 1.5 ohm ?

technically .. its easier on the electronics to do 20W on 2.5Ω than it is do 1W on 1.5Ω.
at least on dual batterys, its only turning a mosfet on and off, peak current is about 3A at any wattage with 2.5Ω but its switching nearly 5A into 1.5Ω.

running single battery though is then using its boost supply which is closer to 5V ..
peak currents are lower and I am sure the booster would be designed to take it.

with dual batts its putting out around 7v so if the allowable safe peak current is say 5A then you have a max power of 35W. if they limit it to 15W .. its purely a software choice, it makes very little difference to the electronics how much of that full power it provides.

Stonemull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well it won't go below 1.3 ohm and 22 watt is not exactly usable (cooked tongue)

You would be exceptionally good at making coils after vaping @22 watts.

And the SS batt caps are available numerous places

people ARE vaping 22W with it now, full "6v" into 2Ω is just that.
thats the current problem,you need quotes on the voltage as its zmax volts, there is no useable number given by the device that can be plugged into a simple formula.

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC

ZMax internals in a clear acrylic tube, no stacked 18350 option. I believe it's assembled in the US.

Guess I shoulda took the pics with a pretty red or blue battery in instead of my ol' grey CGR.

View attachment 139322 View attachment 139321

It looks rather large! Are you happy with its quality? The plastic looks pretty thick, so that may be a good thing!

mnementh666

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2011
portland or

View attachment 139322 View attachment 139321

Check in the "max" forum, there's a thread about the Clearmax for us "weirdos" ;)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
people ARE vaping 22W with it now, full "6v" into 2Ω is just that.
thats the current problem,you need quotes on the voltage as its zmax volts, there is no useable number given by the device that can be plugged into a simple formula.
I stand corrected - - - and amazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread