So mad at our local News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildflowers69

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Rochester, New York, USA
Grr this makes me so mad. They are slandering a product that has helped many get of cigarettes. There are no facts to back this up. And pleaseeeee....one would vomit before drinking enough to kill them. :mad:

13wham .com/news/features/top-stories/stories/liquid-nicotine-becoming-street-drug-7367.shtml

Liquid nicotine: becoming street drug - 13WHAM - Top Stories

Last edited by a moderator:

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Grr this makes me so mad. They are slandering a product that has helped many get of cigarettes. There are no facts to back this up. And pleaseeeee....one would vomit before drinking enough to kill them. :mad:
Liquid nicotine: becoming street drug - 13WHAM - Top Stories

if you drank one 10 mL bottle of 24 mg per ml e-liquid you would ingest a total of 240 MG, thats more than enough to kill a human. you would drink 10 ml in one gulp. and nicotine is absorbed across any part of your body, but lets say you threw up half of it. that's still 120 MG or double the LD50.

ITPython

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Central Coast, CA
I have many words to describe that news report... but wow... just wow...

Wonder when they are going to write a piece on caffeine pills? My goodness!!! Sometimes I wish we had planets we could travel to that would be filled with those similar to us so we could live in peace away from all the idiots. But until then, internet forums like this will have to do.

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
if you drank one 10 mL bottle of 24 mg per ml e-liquid you would ingest a total of 240 MG, thats more than enough to kill a human. you would drink 10 ml in one gulp. and nicotine is absorbed across any part of your body, but lets say you threw up half of it. that's still 120 MG or double the LD50.

so then, about 2ml of 24mg/ml nic liquid would be enough to get you on the threshold of death ... do these people really belief what they are reporting?
do you know any teenager that has that much control of themselves? do they carry around 1 or 2 ml syringes? how would they measure? would those kids even take the time or effort to meassure it out...or do the math it requires to figure out the dose to 'not die' ?
they'd be dropping like flies, if this story was anything other than the sensationalism and BS it is.

this story actually borders on the comical if you thought about it and if it didn't undermine our (vaping community) efforts.

ITPython

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Central Coast, CA
so then, about 2ml of 24mg/ml nic liquid would be enough to get you on the threshold of death ... do these people really belief what they are reporting?
do you know any teenager that has that much control of themselves? do they carry around 1 or 2 ml syringes? how would they measure? would those kids even take the time or effort to meassure it out...or do the math it requires to figure out the dose to 'not die' ?
they'd be dropping like flies, if this story was anything other than the sensationalism and BS it is.

this story actually borders on the comical if you thought about it and if it didn't undermine our (vaping community) efforts.

Also we have to consider the bioavailability of nicotine through the stomach/digestive track, which may be nil to none. I've personally never heard of any "nicotine pills", which suggests it doesn't cross the brain-blood barrier when digested, or only very little.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
so then, about 2ml of 24mg/ml nic liquid would be enough to get you on the threshold of death .

"dose makes the poison"
well the LD50 (lethal dose 50) is the dose it took to kill half of the test population (lab rats usually). there are to many variables to translate the lab rat data to humans. but a well excepted lethal dose is around 30-60 MG for a human with no tolerance to the substance.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Also we have to consider the bioavailability of nicotine through the stomach/digestive track, which may be nil to none. I've personally never heard of any "nicotine pills", which suggests it doesn't cross the brain-blood barrier when digested, or only very little.

nicotine will absorb across any part of your body very quickly. its water soluble.

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
"dose makes the poison"
well the LD50 (lethal dose 50) is the dose it took to kill half of the test population (lab rats usually). there are to many variables to translate the lab rat data to humans. but a well excepted lethal dose is around 30-60 MG for a human with no tolerance to the substance.

are you contradicting my math ? ... because that was based on your math :lol:

I understand there are many factors in play, but I used the math you provided to make my point, not taking in variables such as how and fast nic is absorbed by what body parts and how digestive juices may counteract nic and all that....just at how responsible a teenage kid would have to be if the statements in the story where true, and how come these teens aren't dropping like flies....because: HAVE YOU EVER KNOWN ANY "RESPONSIBLE" TEENS???
:headbang:

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
"dose makes the poison"

Have you seen this post by Dr. Farsalinos? Nicotine lethal dose in humans: a common argument by regulatory authorities, based on poor science. It's a very interesting read about what we actually know about how lethal nicotine is.

ITPython

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Central Coast, CA
nicotine will absorb across any part of your body very quickly. its water soluble.

That doesn't mean it will cross the brain-blood barrier when digested through the stomach or intestines.

Think about it, nicotine gum is meant to be held in the mouth as it can be absorbed that way (much like chewing tobacco or snus). Have you ever heard of a pill that can be swallowed, which is mostly nicotine based, that provides the same nicotine absorption to help smokers quit? Sure there is pills that do that, but not nicotine based ones (far as I am aware).

I would do a google search, but am busy with other things ATM. Feel free to prove me wrong.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread