So...my freaking battery just caught on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
Hopefully by tomorrow, I'll have a few Panasonic IMR 18650's in my possession, I haven't really considered danger with the twist's or ego's but I suspect I'll have to get more careful now. So with all the talk about about lipobags and corningware and then the heavy duty lockbox featured, I wonder if using a Le Creuset cast iron cassarole would work just as well (I have plenty of these), they have rubber spacers between the pot and lid when storing about 5mm gap, so the lid shouldn't crush the cord when charging, the lids are seriously heavy, how big could an explosion get with batteries?
Fire shouldn't be a problem in these either, I've survived this hiccup whilst attempting to cook.:D
As far as carrying batteries these cases should be fine or not?
Advice Please.
images
images

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I had this issue occur to me just the other day. A Hangsen 650mah battery left in a factory USB wall charger overnight exploded, sending the hot insides of the battery shooting out of the tubular body of the battery. Those hot innards ricocheted off my mattress (this was in the master bedroom), and then landed a few feet further away on my carpet, where flames jetted out both sides of what remained until I was fairly quickly able to put out the fire. The burning pieces scorched and melted my bedroom carpet. The damage is permanent. Up until yesterday, when I reported this issue elsewhere on the forum (on several threads, as I was seriously upset at the time), I was completely unaware that anything like that happening was an issue for concern. Obviously I am now, but I'm sure many other e-cigarette users out there are very much unaware of the risk of this happening to them. It was a very frightening thing to witness. Luckily I was in the room when it happen, but I could've stepped out of the house for awhile, or it could have happened at night instead of in the morning. I don't think what quality level of model or brand you buy matters much (though I'm sure it matters some). If the safeguards built into the battery fail, then all bets are off and you are in trouble.

I'm not entirely sold on LiPO bags as a be all, end all solution to the issue, but I will check them out. I will have to radically change my setup for charging e-cigarette batteries, as none of my current ECHO chargers have cords at all, so I won't be able to easily insert the charger and battery completely sealed in the bag. I am also aware that batteries inside these bags tend to get hotter than usual, because of the insulating properties involved, so that also seems like something of a negative overall - actually increasing the likelihood of a battery overheating and failing instead of reducing it, as well as shortening overall battery life. There must be a better solution out there. So far it looks like all the other "better solutions" are dependent on enclosing the charging battery somehow in a strong and fire safe enclosure of some kind - usually rigged up from bits and pieces of household items not originally intended for the purpose.

Other than those options, the only other good idea I've seen here on the forum is to attach your charger plugs to auto-shutoff timers, which you can then set to 2-3 hours before they automatically turn off, or whatever period of time is the maximum charge time for the batteries you happen to be using. Of course, the timer could somehow fail, just like the circuitry in the battery can fail, but at least you then have a double-safety instead of a single one. Not counting using LiPO bags, which you could then use as a "triple-safety" if you wish, along with also charging in a less flammable location in your house as an additional safeguard. Finding a good location to charge in your home can be difficult, especially considering the force with which an exploding battery can rocket around a room, spitting flames all over the place - unless the self-destructing battery is doing so from within a LiPO bag, so those bags obviously have at least some merit.

Regardless, this issue of safely charging e-cigarette batteries just doesn't seem to get the regular attention it deserves. E-cigarette users shouldn't be finding out about this sort of thing after someone's house (or their own) has already caught on fire. User manuals for these devices typically do not mention these kinds of risks much, if at all, and there is no significant information in those user manuals regarding preventing a faulty and exploding battery from causing serious fire damage. It really kind of amazes me this has not already come up as at least something of a serious liability issue for the manufacturers of these devices. Is this because they are just about all operating from overseas, mainly from China?

It seems to me that we really need a dedicated e-cigarette safety thread category that is easy to find for even newer e-cigarette users on the forum. Otherwise, we are eventually going to read about somebody getting killed because of this (below the radar for most users) safety hazard we all have charging away in our homes at any given hour of the day or night. Forgive me, I know I'm still venting, and am still upset and depressed, because of what happened to me in my home the other night, but I really do feel that the community so far (including us, our suppliers and their manufacturers) are really doing a rather crappie job of creating strong user awareness of this safety issue. We all need to do a better job before something bad happens, as opposed to discussing the issue for a little while only after something bad has already occurred.

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
I am so sorry this happened to you, billy. Thank you so much for posting it and reporting it.

I use a liposafe bag in a corningware casserole dish, but I'm missing the lid. :facepalm:

I check on the charging battery every 15 minutes, and take it off the charger as soon as the light is green. I never use the battery right away, I never charge overnight or while away.
Connections are always cleaned.

I've been using eGo type PVs for over two years now and I still worry everyday about this happening!!

If I have the slightest doubt about a battery... it acts funny, gets warm, button issues... I toss it out. (recycle).

We have so many talented people on this board. Modders, woodcrafters, metal workers.... etc.
I wish someone would make and become authorized to sell a charging box, dish, station or whatever that we could just purchase and feel safe using. Something the perfect size for up to two 1300 mAh batteries. Something lined with with a liposack type bag.

I do see products for RC hobbyists, but they're bulky and really not set up for a PV, well the ones I've seen.

Anyway, I'm glad you're safe and that is the most important outcome.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I too now find the smell of any kind of analog to be awful, but for some strange reason I am still attracted to crushed, empty cigarette packages lying in gutters - even after more than two years of vaping and no analogs. Oh well, I smoked analogs for over twenty years, so I suppose weird little things like that are understandable. For greater battery charging safety I ordered a Belkin Conserve Socket F7C009q Energy-Saving Outlet (which has a 1/2 hour, 3 hour and 6 hour power auto-cutoff timer switch on it), plus one Integy Large LiPO Guard Charging Bag INTC22532 (11.7 x 9 x 0.4 inches), and one Cables to Go 1.5 ft 1 to 4 Power Cord Splitter (to run from the Belkin outlet plug power shutoff timer into the LiPO bag for multiple battery charging). All of these items cost only about $5 to $10 a piece on Amazon, which wasn't a bad deal at all with free Super Saver Shipping (Amazon Prime). They are all also fairly compact and portable for use when traveling, at a hotel or wherever else. I will charge my ECHO batteries in that bag with the timer set to shutoff automatically after 3 hours (which is sufficient for the newer ECH 650mAh batteries and chargers). That will be in my kitchen, where everything is tile, both the counter top and floor, but I will also have the bag sitting in a small metal baking pan - for extra protection. I think that will be a pretty safe setup that will work well for charging 650mAh ECHO batteries.

I also bought another black 650mAh battery today, from a different supplier, as (interestingly enough) my other supplier is not selling this type of battery anymore - at least not for now, though that supplier still sells that model size's e-cigarette starter kits. I also got a few extra dual-coil cartomizers, which I like quite a bit - though they are not all that different in overall performance compared to the standard single-coil ECHO cartomizers. The single-coils are milder in throat hit & vapor production, but more e-juice flavor comes through.

Doing all that makes me feel quite a bit better, but I was (and still am) depressed about the damage to my bedroom carpet. Because of that, I used a Dremel tool and several different grinding tips (using scissors would have taken too long) to grind the hard burnt pieces of carpet down to fresh, cleaner carpet, then rewashed the whole area, finishing with several vacuum passes. I even used a bit of bleach to try and lighten some of the areas of carpet darkened by smoke. The results were far from perfect, but now the spot looks more like something of an old spilled drink stain, rather than something scorched with a torch. The area of damage is over a foot long, so it will sadly always be noticeable, and be a constant reminder of that terrible day when the battery blew up, but it doesn't look nearly as bad as it used to. I'll see what I can find out about maybe some other methods of getting the smoke stains out better. Lesson learned, eh?

Many people use much larger/longer PV batteries, at least up to 1300mAh, and even larger. I don't think it is practical for those that are charging batteries that size, that take several hours to recharge (overnight?), to be constantly monitoring the charging battery's status and condition. Even if one were to notice that a charging battery was seriously overheating, I for one don't think I would try to grab it and unplug it, as it might go off in my hand - which would be bad news in itself. Some kind of more extensive safety precautions are a must, like using the LiPO charging bags, power plug auto-cutoff timers, and whatever else helps assure greater safety. Having a fire extinguisher and fire blanket handy isn't a bad idea either, and you should probably have those around in your house anyway - especially near your kitchen.

My wife was a little disappointed that I didn't decide to quit using e-cigarettes entirely after this incident, but I am cutting back on their use, and my last order of e-liquids were all made in the next nicotine level down from what I usually order and use. I've only just recently switched over to using the ECHO from using m402 gear (which I had used fairly satisfactorily for quite a long time), and I find the throat hit increase from just using the higher performance ECHO to be great enough that I really don't need as much nicotine in my e-liquids anymore. So that is something at least, eh?

Blurgas

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2012
I believe I mentioned them before, but I do hope that LiFe batteries become more commonplace because they're extremely durable and almost impossible to burst into flames when abused/shorted/etc

Another thing people could look into are the smart chargers used for RC/airsoft lipo packs. They automatically stop charging once the cells are filled whereas I'm guessing the wall chargers everyone uses are of the "dummy" type(charge, charge and charge some more)
Would take quite a bit of tinkering to get the right settings(on the smart chargers that are highly customizable), but if that can be figured out it'd add a bit of safety

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
any device that has a li-ion battery can do this at some point. So that's cellphones, laptops, tablets, gps, pretty much any modern device that is rechargeable. It is just something you need to be careful with inspect your batteries regularly make sure they aren't swollen or have tears in the outer wrap and make sure to buy quality batteries as some can be pretty much anything wrapped up in some shrink wrap and can vary greatly in quality battery to battery.

No, that's just silly. How many laptops/cell phones are out there on the market? How many e-cigs are there? I do recall a couple of stories about laptops or iphones catching on fire, but that is rare and the consensus seems to be that there was something wrong with those batteries. I have never heard anyone advise you to unplug your laptop or cell phone when you go to sleep, but it seems to be fairly common advice when it comes to e-cig batteries.

My laptop is plugged in almost all the time except on rare occasions. My phone is plugged in all the time except when I leave the house and take it with me. I am not worried about either of them catching on fire. They're not even warm as I type this.

I've got a Volt X2 battery that's been charging for about 18 hours now. It's not warm, but I really am wondering when it will be done charging. 18 friggin' hours!? Yes, possibly more. It's not realistic to not leave it charging when I go to sleep.

It does make me wonder about the quality of the batteries being sold. My laptop battery is fine. My cell phone battery is fine, despite being nearly 3 years old. My camera is nearly 8 years old and even though I don't use it as much as e-cigs, that battery is fine too, but after only a few months, my e-cig batteries are dying. The regular Volt batteries that I bought earlier this year are basically worthless now. They haven't gone through nearly 300 charges as promised. The Mistic batteries that I bought about the same time are showing signs of age, but they're holding up better.

I'd be really ...... off if I had to buy a new battery for my cell phone every 6 months. I would be ...... off if it took more than 12 hours to charge. I would be ...... if there were warnings telling me not to charge it overnight.

This is speculation on my part, but I think there isn't much attention to quality among e-cig manufacturers. None of them are known brands. I've had laptops made by Dell, Lenovo, IBM, Acer and Toshiba. Those are known brands. My phones have been made by Motorola and LG. Again, known brands. If their products started catching on fire, there would be hell to pay in the marketplace. If there were even 3 stories about iPhones catching on fire within a year Apple would be in serious trouble and there are several orders of magnitude more iPhones on the market than there are e-cigs. I vaguely recall one story about 5 years ago about an iPhone that caught on fire and it was considered a freak accident/bad battery/left in a hot car for too long.

My experience with e-cigs is still rather limited, but so far I'm not really impressed. Both Mistic and Volt seem to have supply chain issues. A couple other brands I've tried are just total crap. (Joy, Bliss).

It is almost (but not quite) enough to make me go back to real cigarettes.

Blurgas

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2012
I have never heard anyone advise you to unplug your laptop or cell phone when you go to sleep, but it seems to be fairly common advice when it comes to e-cig batteries.
Well, phones and laptops can have more battery protection crammed into them than e-cigs.
Since you can't cram as much into e-cigs, those protections would have to be punted off to the charger, but dummy chargers are easier to buy/sell than "smart" chargers
Also, lithium based batteries need to be charged in a certain way or it can negatively affect their lifespan, dummy chargers aren't going to do that

I've got a Volt X2 battery that's been charging for about 18 hours now.
Ok, I don't have much experience with Volt X2's, but those range from 650 to 1300 mAh and even some of the weakest chargers(~150mA) should take no more than 9 hours to fully charge a 1300mAh pack
I'm wondering if your charger is borked, especially if the battery isn't even warm

I'm not surprised really that e-cig batteries aren't as durable/long-lasting/etc as laptop/cell phone batteries simply because you expect your laptop/phone battery to last a while, both in lifespan and recharging cycles
Just about everyone would raise a big stink if their laptop/phone only held up for 6 or less hours, but e-cigs aren't exactly an everyday item for a bulk of the population
Basically if a company isn't given a reason to vastly improve their batteries, there isn't going to be much incentive to put a rush on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread