So...my freaking battery just caught on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figgy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
California
All of the vaporizers that Provape sells (Provari, Mini, and Provape-1) have built-in protection circuitry. In the case of the Provari or Mini, it will refuse to fire if it senses an unsafe situation and provide an error code as to why it is doing so.

Provape has strong recommendations on using only high quality AW brand batteries. And also recommends only the high drain, or IMR class, batteries.

The two battery rechargers that Provape sells (Pila and Xtar)are top of the line, using special algorhythms that are safer and may actually prolong the overall battery life of your batteries. Worth the initial larger investment in the long run.

You didn't skimp on price when you purchased your Provari. Don't skimp on the batteries or charger you use with it.

Thanks! I didn't think I could want a Provari even more than I already did.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
DC2, does that bag have a hole in it for the cord??? I might need one.
It's kind of hard to explain, but hopefully this picture is worth a thousand words...

Liposack001.jpg

Fyre904

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2012
St Augustine FL
wow that's is not good but you can take steps to ensure safety while charging batteries. This is not a problem exclusive to vaping it has to do with any rechargeable battery. In almost one year of vaping I have yet to see this happen except for once when I tried to use the wrong charger I think i tried charging a 510 battery on an ego charger it got hot quickly I removed it and the battery was toast but did not catch fire. as for over night charging you should place the batteries into a fire proof area or container seeing batteries are always able to fail. even charging them outside I have seen done by SteelJan lol I thought this was over the top but still very safe. I even use unprotected batteries as long as the charger is intelligent and recognizes a full battery. although I would not recommend it.

VapDrak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2012
Ecuador
any device that has a li-ion battery can do this at some point. So that's cellphones, laptops, tablets, gps, pretty much any modern device that is rechargeable. It is just something you need to be careful with inspect your batteries regularly make sure they aren't swollen or have tears in the outer wrap and make sure to buy quality batteries as some can be pretty much anything wrapped up in some shrink wrap and can vary greatly in quality battery to battery.

I agree with you... really looking for the hazzards of batteries is a bit much for ME.
I have to emphatize the me in this because i live in an environment of danger that is not common (but it's my choice) and what I can tell you is that I see more benefits brought to my life by my APV's than hazzards...

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

beamrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2012
C-Bus
Ordering 2 charger bags for the time being. Is it safe to order from sites like China Dropshipping - Free Shipping China Gadgets from Online Electronics Store? I know these Chinese sites sell cheap stuff, but it shouldn't matter for these bags, should it?

I just posted a link for 5 dollar bags...If you're worried enough about charging these batteries that you want to get a firesafe bag for them, it behooves you not to get a chinese knockoff thats probably made up of plastic coated celluose or something....

JKVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Wait for a better answer than mine, because I'm no expert...

I think the charger stops charging, but monitors the battery and kicks in a "trickle charge" to keep it topped up.
I also think that I might be explaining it incorrectly.
:)

This is correct.
A Battery will also last longer if its not always fully charged, or "trickle charged" to often. Its worn batteries that will most likely fail eventually.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ordering 2 charger bags for the time being. Is it safe to order from sites like China Dropshipping - Free Shipping China Gadgets from Online Electronics Store? I know these Chinese sites sell cheap stuff, but it shouldn't matter for these bags, should it?

Whoa...

If you want an el-Cheapo Battery Bag, just charge it in a Pillow Case.

I'd do a little research Before you Buy a Cheap Bag. Check out reviews. The RC Hobby people have written tons of reviews on Name Brand Charging Bags.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Hopefully less than 10.

:blink:

Um I think it may be more actually lol. The worst was when I was 19 driving a huge lifted truck. Well the wind was blowing I was on my way to work.....and uh well...flicked my ashes out the window. The cherry blew off my cigarette into the the cab and right into my lap. Had a fun time explaining to the boss that I was late cause I set me bum and cooch on fire.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Before being a Net Eng. I was an Electronic tech and a Ham radio operator. Ham radio will make you into a battery guru or you have to spend a lot of money on them. Ni cads and Lithium batteries can put out a lot of current if you get a short. I once had a battery pack for a hand held radio in my pocket minus the cover and it shorted and melted in my pocket. Shorts are a bad thing with them I am going to be cleaning my battery end to make sure some contaminant doesn't make my $25 dollar battery into slag especially when it's in my pocket or hand. They make cleaner that is not harmful to plastic etc. LOL They do not like shorts. No mater the battery if you don't have an end on it keep it away from metal or liquids. They will get real hot real quick. They carry more current than an Alk battery.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Some more pearls of wisdom about batteries. Ni-cad's should be run down before charging. Ni Mh batteries do not have to but should be as a matter of habit. Lithium batteries can be charged at any time but should not as a matter of good habit. In my experience quick chargers shorten battery life as apposed to the slows but Lithium and Ni Mh do not develop a memory like Ni-cad's. They also suffer more catastrophic failures when quick charged. All should be treated with care. When I first got mine I dripped some juice on the battery end and had to clean it. Any kind of build up on the battery will degrade the connection and may pose a problem of eventually carbonizing and causing a short. Just my informed opinion. The more you charge it the quicker it will fail on any battery. So going from full to almost dead is best if you want to have them last longer. Lastly if you have spare batteries put them in a plastic bag in the fridge. They keep better. Heat is the enemy of any battery. Freezing is not recommended. LOL

Almost forgot. The internal resistance of the battery determines how good it is the lower the resistance the more current it can apply making some more prone to big meltdowns than others. Ni-cads are very low when new. It can also be used to determine the quality (life left) in a battery. With age the resistance goes up. But on these batteries unless they are removable you would have a hard time testing them with out a rig made from an charger end.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Um I think it may be more actually lol. The worst was when I was 19 driving a huge lifted truck. Well the wind was blowing I was on my way to work.....and uh well...flicked my ashes out the window. The cherry blew off my cigarette into the the cab and right into my lap. Had a fun time explaining to the boss that I was late cause I set me bum and cooch on fire.

I was asleep in a Car once driving up I-5 towards Sacramento at night with my college roommate driving. All of a sudden he Slams on the Brakes and we did a 300 Yard Slide Sideways coming to rest at a Right angle to Traffic.

As I uncrumpled from the Floor Boards yelling WTF at the Top of my Lungs I noticed that the entire car was Full of Smoke. He had done the Same thing trying to chuck a Cigarette out the Window.

He told me he didn't want to wake me up to check on it so he just kept Driving. When I asked him Didn't he See the Smoke, he told me he thought it was Fog.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread