So...my freaking battery just caught on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blurgas

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2012

Jim N

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2012
Colorado

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Has this always been an issue or is it happening more often now? Cheap products will lead to this crap happening. I trust nothing coming from China. I should have learned my lesson years ago :unsure:
It definitely seems to be reported here more often now.

That could be due to a number of factors, none of which we have the data to evaluate properly..
--More vapers willing to report battery issues due to increased scrutiny
--More vapers in general, therefore more battery issues
--Some sort of decline in battery or charger quality depending on where purchased

In other words, yes, there appears to be more reports of such incidents lately.
And no, I doubt we can really form an educated opinion on why that is.

But if it were me, I would go with the exploding popularity of the electronic cigarette in general.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
It definitely seems to be reported here more often now.

That could be due to a number of factors, none of which we have the data to evaluate properly..
--More vapers willing to report battery issues due to increased scrutiny
--More vapers in general, therefore more battery issues
--Some sort of decline in battery or charger quality depending on where purchased

In other words, yes, there appears to be more reports of such incidents lately.
And no, I doubt we can really form an educated opinion on why that is.

But if it were me, I would go with the exploding popularity of the electronic cigarette in general.

When did explosions become popular? Lol

Exponentially increasing popularity of electronic cigarettes? I like that better!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
When did explosions become popular? Lol

Exponentially increasing popularity of electronic cigarettes? I like that better!

I think this is Part of it. Also the ECF has gotten Bigger.

If back in the Day, 1 in 1,000 e-Cigs went China Syndrome and the ECF had 500 members, there would be a 50:50 chance of hearing about it If a person wanted to post it. Now the ECF is Huge so the Chances of it Happening to an Active Member is Much Greater.

I also think Chinese Factors are working 8 Days a Week, 30 hours a Day to Crank out e-Cigs and Batteries to feed a Hungry Vaping Community.

That and some of the Most Penny Pinching people I have Ever Seen are Vaper’s. I’ve seen people have a Complete Tirade about a Battery being Grossly Over Priced because Brand X cost 89 Cents more than Brand Y.

When People DEMAND Rock Bottom Prices, OEM’s sometimes can turn a Blind Eye to such Non-Profit producing processes like Quality Control.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
I was asleep in a Car once driving up I-5 towards Sacramento at night with my college roommate driving. All of a sudden he Slams on the Brakes and we did a 300 Yard Slide Sideways coming to rest at a Right angle to Traffic.

As I uncrumpled from the Floor Boards yelling WTF at the Top of my Lungs I noticed that the entire car was Full of Smoke. He had done the Same thing trying to chuck a Cigarette out the Window.

He told me he didn't want to wake me up to check on it so he just kept Driving. When I asked him Didn't he See the Smoke, he told me he thought it was Fog.

LOL

Oh my goodness lol!

Jim N

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2012
Colorado
... I trust nothing coming from China...

Avoiding every product with components from China would be difficult. China makes a lot of cheap crap, but they also manufacture some quality products. For example, I bought a die set which was made in China, but manufactured to comply with high US quality control standards. Works great. Bought a cheap Phillips screwdriver which was made in China that stripped on the first use.

My Joyetech eGo-C is made in China and I trust it. The http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/329907-510-battery-meltdown.html issue I had was caused by a super cheap 510 automatic also made in China.

Caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware.

Good pun on page 15: :)
...I would go with the exploding popularity of the electronic cigarette in general...

Hilarious story on page 14: :laugh:
... he thought it was Fog...

Last edited:

teamscon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
NC
Have a standard battery from V2. Plugged it into it's charger and then I smelled something. The charging light went off, and then the end of the battery lit up orange, caught on fire and started smoking!! WTF!? This is so terrifying. I usually leave these plugged in overnight, NO WAY! Warning to everybody, be careful! Bought a pack of real smokes..at least I know when these are on fire :facepalm:

First 2 of bad battery, last picture is of good battery.
View attachment 132154 View attachment 132157 View attachment 132155

Edit: Added pictures to post.

Seems as if you didnt read battery instructions. If no instructions, you should have read about the batteries. Im not being forgiving as this could have killed you and your family.

NEVER LEAVE BATTERIES PLUGGED UP OVERNIGHT.

Jerryo100

Verified Member
Oct 4, 2011
Hamlet, NC
Can these batteries explode while out in the open? I've seen several vids of them failing and they look like a hot blow torch that could definitely start a serious fire, but no explosion. I've also heard of them failing in an unvented tube mod that explodes like a pipe bomb because there's no place for the venting gases and flame to go. Thought I was safe charging in a pyrex baking pan, but if it's common for them to explode when not contained in something, I'll be looking for a steel ammo box.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
wow that's is not good but you can take steps to ensure safety while charging batteries. This is not a problem exclusive to vaping it has to do with any rechargeable battery. In almost one year of vaping I have yet to see this happen except for once when I tried to use the wrong charger I think i tried charging a 510 battery on an ego charger it got hot quickly I removed it and the battery was toast but did not catch fire. as for over night charging you should place the batteries into a fire proof area or container seeing batteries are always able to fail. even charging them outside I have seen done by SteelJan lol I thought this was over the top but still very safe. I even use unprotected batteries as long as the charger is intelligent and recognizes a full battery. although I would not recommend it.
... at this stage of the game, no one should be using unprotected batteries, period!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread