Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Connecticut
I agree with twisted; I saw a homebuilt dna Reo in the classys once and it looked sloppy. Now I couldn’t come close to doing what that person did and I respect the work they put into it but If I’m going to buy and use a regulated I want a clean well thought out one from the manufacturer.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I remember seeing those dna 40 Reos and no offence to the modder, they were not very well done, certainly better than anything I could have come up with though.

I agree with twisted; I saw a homebuilt dna Reo in the classys once and it looked sloppy. Now I couldn’t come close to doing what that person did and I respect the work they put into it but If I’m going to buy and use a regulated I want a clean well thought out one from the manufacturer.
I think the ones you guys are referring to was the Quigsworth design... I'm talking about the ones done by Corey, (Custom Classic), and weren't sloppy or shoddy work and in fact looked like they came straight from the factory. I remember the thread where he posted them was jammed for about a week with everyone and their uncle wanting him to do one for them until they found out what the cost was to do them...

Here are a couple pics of the 1st one. It was a VV body that he started with...
yL3U18q.jpg

nbfRLuj.jpg

Cx23iPc.jpg

LalnFNA.jpg

vygn98t.jpg

8e6t4uX.jpg

F5Q7AT1.jpg

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
Ya, that's not what I saw in the classies. Beautiful, but no surprise, Corey does great work! Bottom line though, CC's cost more than Reos. If Corey turns a profit for his work on the mod after Rob (or Eric) gets their profit off the same mod, I wonder how much Eric can rein that in simply by having the mod CNC'd for all the bits whilst being milled.
Lets hope this Tariff shenanigans Trump has his panties in a bunch over doesn't leave us hanging though. Not sure where our aluminum comes from for our beloved Reos, but even Canada seems peeved. Canada never gets peeved!

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Ya, that's not what I saw in the classies. Beautiful, but no surprise, Corey does great work! Bottom line though, CC's cost more than Reos. If Corey turns a profit for his work on the mod after Rob (or Eric) gets their profit off the same mod, I wonder how much Eric can rein that in simply by having the mod CNC'd for all the bits whilst being milled.
Lets hope this Tariff shenanigans Trump has his panties in a bunch over doesn't leave us hanging though. Not sure where our aluminum comes from for our beloved Reos, but even Canada seems peeved. Canada never gets peeved!

Yep, we're peeved. Most of both the aluminium and the steel that the US imports comes from Canada. The US actually produces only 1% of the bauxite it needs for aluminium. This could get cray cray.

As for our international rep as being happy go lucky (which we're totally fine with)... we invented ice hockey - a sport that makes you sit a whole 5 mins for fighting (and if you do it 3 times in a game, well, you've got to wait until tomorrow to play again). That's us - calm, calm, calm, calm, calm, calm, calm, snap.

Hockey-Fights-e1392750003639-640x320.jpg

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I speak with Canadians daily it seems for work, and visit frequently. Two things about Canadians: 1) the French Canadian women are beautiful, and 2) the French Canadian women are beautiful.

Mais oui, mon ami. They are, indeed (I married one of them). C'est manifique.

They do come with a factory installed temper, tho.

Reactions: oplholik

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I would almost bet that the way the 2015 Woodvils sold was the major reason that Rob never attempted a DNA REO run.
I don't think that's the reason. A mechanical mod is trivially easy to maintain and fix if it breaks. A mod with a board in is far more prone to failure -- especially a squonker where the juice is in the mod -- OLED displays do not appreciate contact with liquids at all. It's also far more work to fix one when it does break and if the board that you designed the mod around is no longer available, you can't fix it at all -- IIRC, this is what happened with the VV Grand. Anyway, I have the impression that Rob didn't want to sell mods that he (or his successors) couldn't fix at a reasonable cost more-or-less in perpetuity.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I don't think that's the reason. A mechanical mod is trivially easy to maintain and fix if it breaks. A mod with a board in is far more prone to failure -- especially a squonker where the juice is in the mod -- OLED displays do not appreciate contact with liquids at all. It's also far more work to fix one when it does break and if the board that you designed the mod around is no longer available, you can't fix it at all -- IIRC, this is what happened with the VV Grand. Anyway, I have the impression that Rob didn't want to sell mods that he (or his successors) couldn't fix at a reasonable cost more-or-less in perpetuity.
Certainly most of us remember how Rob felt about regulated devices and know he wasn't fond of them at all and certainly for the reason's you pointed out, but my comment was more about the financial investment part of it. In previous Woodvil runs there weren't as many available and they sold out relatively quickly and when the masses asked for more volume Rob provided such and quite a few backed out last minute after they found out the price point and it took much longer for Rob to recoup his investment.

I think the Chalice III was a great example on the atty side of sales where he was asked by the masses to carry them and once he bought 200 of them they pretty much sat on his shelf because most didn't realize it was like a $160 atomizer... It also didn't help that there were so many vendors that were selling them at the same time. The only person that made out on that venture was Mark Buggs as he didn't have to line his shelves with them to sit until someone bought them!!

Lets be realistic here... This venture won't be a $100 device like whats selling out there right now!! It will be much more expensive than that and I don't think most realize when they say they want one, what the cost will be. Reality is and has been dictated by the past that it is usually more than what they were willing to part with at the time...

At least that has been my view on this topic for some time now, oh and its also why I'm grateful that I no longer have any irons in the fire at this point as I've been vape free for 14 months now!!;)

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
You are right. I wanted some Chalice's but wouldn't pay the price of a new one. I ended owning three of them, but I bought them off the classies for a lot less than the new price. I also would like a DNA Reos, however at this point, I wouldn't pay what one would cost new. Some would, but how many would?

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
I would buy one, but if it was available right now, I would have to hold off, I am just to broke right now. In 6 months or so I could probably do it, I would have to plan for it though. Lets just say that it will cost around $300.00, that is around the cost of a REV 4 Billet box. That is higher than my monthly Vape budget, so I would have to plan for it. I would still pay the full price though, even if it would be tough. :|

KAS

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
As for the "USA made" bit, I'll stay mum :). It works for some things, not for others.
Well said Papa! As I wrote that quickly, I wasn’t quite sure I was articulating well. For me, it has been more about supporting quality and authentics. Yes, all of my mods have been “locally” made but I certainly supported the artists who made KFL’s, Origen 16, etc. It’s about quality for sure and knowing that adults probably made them!

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
I would buy one, but if it was available right now, I would have to hold off, I am just to broke right now. In 6 months or so I could probably do it, I would have to plan for it though. Lets just say that it will cost around $300.00, that is around the cost of a REV 4 Billet box. That is higher than my monthly Vape budget, so I would have to plan for it. I would still pay the full price though, even if it would be tough. :|

KAS
Yes, I would also save and buy one. Hey, it’s a Reo and my last addition to the family was when the P-67’s came out. Yes, absolutely. I’m long passed the days of shiny-itis, unless of course, it’s a Reo. A huge reason for that is quality mods, #1 customer service, and this Forum. I certainly don’t speak for all vapors (just perhaps the older contented ones). Its the younger vapors that we need to entice somehow.....

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
Got to be honest, Reo's were always more expensive than a lot of the other stuff on the market, but they were also a cut above in terms of quality and customer service.

In real terms the price difference is going to be the cost of the chip set and the additional cost of assembly.

The DNA75 is about $75 bought one at a time, this drops to $66 each if you buy 10. I would have thought buying in larger quantities would see the price drop further.

Personally in Eric's position I would be looking at making an L shaped panel that fits over the top and side of the existing grand. Using the current hole for the firing button to allow access for the battery positive and connection to the 510. Ground would be via the body of the mod. I would guess that given reasonable volumes this could be done for around $100. This would also allow many existing reo users to upgrade....

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Yes, I would also save and buy one. Hey, it’s a Reo and my last addition to the family was when the P-67’s came out. Yes, absolutely. I’m long passed the days of shiny-itis, unless of course, it’s a Reo. A huge reason for that is quality mods, #1 customer service, and this Forum. I certainly don’t speak for all vapors (just perhaps the older contented ones). Its the younger vapors that we need to entice somehow.....

The P67 was the last REO I bought also, and it is my favorite one, I just like the shape, and how it feels in the hand. I have always enjoyed regulated devises, but not all of them, I have mostly just stuck with ones that are american made and have good customer service, and warranty. My tanks and atty's are another matter though, they are from all over the place. My REOs though will out last my regulated devises by a long shot, sense every part is replaceable. When this new one comes out, I would like to get a few backup replacement boards for it, that I could just replace it myself. that would be the weak part of this new device. :|

KAS

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
DUDE - that would be AWESOME!!!
Got to be honest, Reo's were always more expensive than a lot of the other stuff on the market, but they were also a cut above in terms of quality and customer service.

In real terms the price difference is going to be the cost of the chip set and the additional cost of assembly.

The DNA75 is about $75 bought one at a time, this drops to $66 each if you buy 10. I would have thought buying in larger quantities would see the price drop further.

Personally in Eric's position I would be looking at making an L shaped panel that fits over the top and side of the existing grand. Using the current hole for the firing button to allow access for the battery positive and connection to the 510. Ground would be via the body of the mod. I would guess that given reasonable volumes this could be done for around $100. This would also allow many existing reo users to upgrade....

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I am fairly confident that is correct. It certainly has been with previous DNA boards in the past.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I am fairly confident that is correct. It certainly has been with previous DNA boards in the past.

If I bought a REO DNA, I would have to factor in the stocking up of a couple spare boards. I am sure they will obsolete themselves after a while as the colors get brighter and the power begins to equal that of a small generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread