Some problems with OBS Engine 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I would spread the coils a bit, lower them equally, make more shoulder on your wicks so they don't drain onto the deck and double check the coils are heating and cooling evenly.
I agree. You may have mounted them a bit to close to the top (which means the legs may not be too short to change this but maybe try pulling them down with a rod if possible) Next time hang them a bit lower, then after tightening screw/trimming leads, pull them towards the airflows. Did you do a "dry burn" before wicking them? This really helps you see "hot spots". Learn how to "rake" the coils (I was amazed well this works) Sometimes you can guess which direction to rake it (depending on which end of the coils seems have looser/tighter wraps) Hot spot (and/or uneven mounting) will cause one coil to heat up more than the other. I may sound like I really know what I'm talking about but the truth is I have limited experience (I have watched many many videos) Also, I'm an auto mechanic and know a lot about electronics so I learn fast. Do you have any others coils?
P.S. rinse everything, dry off a bit, then do a dry burn before adjusting coils and re-wicking (it will clean them and you can look for uneven heating (don't go too high or too fast on dry burn... just pulse the coils several times till they glow orange.
You will soon master this RTA... no worries ;)

• Useful
Reactions: Izan

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Here are some photos of my build.

I just tried to vape it at 55w and got big burnt puff

As you can see the right coil cotton is already turning black.

I'll try to lower the coils...
As Izan said the wick tails don't have enough bulk and the darker coil has less cotton than the other.

If I were you I'd start from scratch. Your coils will need cleaning first (or use new coils). Make sure that you pay attention to detail - in dual coil builds the coils should match each other exactly in distance from the posts and height from the deck.
They should be sharing the Ohm load evenly or one coil will be getting hotter than the other and could be causing the burnt hits. You need to make sure the post screws are nice and tight too. When you dry burn the coils you should see them warm up at the same speed - if one glows more or faster than the other then you need to fix that by checking your connections and then strumming the coils gently with ceramic tweezers etc until any hot spots are gone.
When you are sure the coils are even (and cooled down)you should add the wicks. Again make sure you give each coil the same amount of cotton.

Don't blast your new coils with max watts at first. Start low and gradually build up until you get a vape you like. Don't worry about trying to match the wattage that you saw on a youtube review.

One other thing to check is that your mod doesn't have a preheat setting that is hitting your coils with high wattage before it settles down to the power displayed on the screen

Good luck

Last edited:

mike_gr

Jun 14, 2020
Greece
I would spread the coils a bit, lower them equally, make more shoulder on your wicks so they don't drain onto the deck and double check the coils are heating and cooling evenly.

Not everyone does back flips the first time they go water skiing.

Master the basics. The flips will come...:thumbs:

cheers
I
Thank you!

I rewicked it and used more cotton. I also untied the screws and lowered the coils a tiny bit. It's kinda better.

I guess I'll have to redo the whole thing tomorrow and follow all advice i have.

Reactions: Pigs and Izan

mike_gr

Jun 14, 2020
Greece
As Izan said the wick tails don't have enough bulk and the darker coil has less cotton than the other.

If I were you I'd start from scratch. Your coils will need cleaning first (or use new coils). Make sure that you pay attention to detail - in dual coil builds the coils should match each other exactly in distance from the posts and height from the deck.
They should be sharing the Ohm load evenly or one coil will be getting hotter than the other and could be causing the burnt hits. You need to make sure the post screws are nice and tight too. When you dry burn the coils you should see them warm up at the same speed - if one glows more or faster than the other then you need to fix that by checking your connections and then strumming the coils gently with ceramic tweezers etc until any hot spots are gone.
When you are sure the coils are even (and cooled down)you should add the wicks. Again make sure you give each coil the same amount of cotton.

Don't blast your new coils with max watts at first. Start low and gradually build up until you get a vape you like. Don't worry about trying to match the wattage that you saw on a youtube review.

One other thing to check is that your mod doesn't have a preheat setting that is hitting your coils with high wattage before it settles down to the power displayed on the screen

Good luck

Thank you so much!

As far as i know my mod doesn't have preheating. It's the teslacigs wye 80w.

I'll gather all info (although i already knew about hot spots and cotton and coil raking) and redo the whole thing tomorrow!

That's some very useful advice you gave me about dual coils.

mike_gr

Jun 14, 2020
Greece
I agree. You may have mounted them a bit to close to the top (which means the legs may not be too short to change this but maybe try pulling them down with a rod if possible) Next time hang them a bit lower, then after tightening screw/trimming leads, pull them towards the airflows. Did you do a "dry burn" before wicking them? This really helps you see "hot spots". Learn how to "rake" the coils (I was amazed well this works) Sometimes you can guess which direction to rake it (depending on which end of the coils seems have looser/tighter wraps) Hot spot (and/or uneven mounting) will cause one coil to heat up more than the other. I may sound like I really know what I'm talking about but the truth is I have limited experience (I have watched many many videos) Also, I'm an auto mechanic and know a lot about electronics so I learn fast. Do you have any others coils?
P.S. rinse everything, dry off a bit, then do a dry burn before adjusting coils and re-wicking (it will clean them and you can look for uneven heating (don't go too high or too fast on dry burn... just pulse the coils several times till they glow orange.
You will soon master this RTA... no worries ;)
Thank you!

I'll follow your advice.

Yes i do have many coils. I have 42 coils form coilology that come in 7 different sets of 6 with a wide variety of different types. I also have 28 gauge wire. Plain wire.

PS: i did heat the coils before wicking and looked for hot spots. It was a mess at first and then with some raking i got them to glow evenly although it seems that one was heating up more quickly than the other.

mike_gr

Jun 14, 2020
Greece
It sounds like you know what you're doing. Just wondering... how important is it to you to have high wattage/big cloud vaping? What I mean is would you be happy with a bit less of each? I might be able to suggest some wires to make your own coils.
It depends. Generally i prefer clouds and watts haha. I have an aromamizer for when i need a strong vape and i bought the obs for a less powerful experience and because it's smaller and easier to carry around.

So you can say i need the best of both worlds. I am even considering buying a strictly mtl tank to add to my collection.

As i said. It depends on the moment/occasion....

Go ahead suggest.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I get it. I don't think you will be happy with a MTL tank. Myself, I like restricted DL (but have a small MTL "drop-in" coil tank for carry around) @Shawn Hoefer here on ECF is an "expert" and did a very long thread where he reviewed many top-airflow tanks... the OBS Engine (and V2 are one of the better ones... just tricky to build) Do you have a back-up vape while you work this out? Be patient... my worst builds were when I was rushed. BTW (by the way) I really want this (and you would love it):
It's a good deal (don't give up on the OBS) but if you can get one of these too!
Wotofo Serpent Elevate RTA
I want one so bad (but have obligated to other purchases right now... some through private deals) Not sure about your options from your location. If I was into full DL, I would be all over that OBS Engine 2. Sometimes those multi-packs of coils are cool, but some are overkill... maybe keep it simple at first. Even just 24 ga Ni80 handwound coils (spaced) might surprise you and makes things very simple for now.
P.S. Having a few beers (feeling better) forgive me if I overwhelm you with ideas ;)

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Thank you!

I rewicked it and used more cotton. I also untied the screws and lowered the coils a tiny bit. It's kinda better.

I guess I'll have to redo the whole thing tomorrow and follow all advice i have.

The toughest build is always your first build with a new RTA. It gets easier everytime after that. You will get there :thumbs:

• Agree
    Reactions: Izan

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Even though it's rated for 80 watts, might not want to push it (hard on the battery)

In a regulated mod, the wattage you use depends solely on whether the CDR of your battery can handle it. To find out the CDR of your battery, look in Mooch's 18650 Battery ratings chart:
    ee735067-28df-4544-8489-c80e06107d1a-jpeg.884389

Once you know the CDR, use this as a guide:
    ampvwattage.jpg

mike_gr

Jun 14, 2020
    Greece
    I get it. I don't think you will be happy with a MTL tank. Myself, I like restricted DL (but have a small MTL "drop-in" coil tank for carry around) @Shawn Hoefer here on ECF is an "expert" and did a very long thread where he reviewed many top-airflow tanks... the OBS Engine (and V2 are one of the better ones... just tricky to build) Do you have a back-up vape while you work this out? Be patient... my worst builds were when I was rushed. BTW (by the way) I really want this (and you would love it):
    It's a good deal (don't give up on the OBS) but if you can get one of these too!
    Wotofo Serpent Elevate RTA
    I want one so bad (but have obligated to other purchases right now... some through private deals) Not sure about your options from your location. If I was into full DL, I would be all over that OBS Engine 2. Sometimes those multi-packs of coils are cool, but some are overkill... maybe keep it simple at first. Even just 24 ga Ni80 handwound coils (spaced) might surprise you and makes things very simple for now.
    P.S. Having a few beers (feeling better) forgive me if I overwhelm you with ideas ;)
    Yes i have some back ups it's ok.

I do have an external charger and 6x18650 I'm ok.

I used to have a 4x18650 smok mod but i destroyed it.

Now i have a 2x18650 aegis legend 200w

• Winner
    Reactions: AngeNZ

SlowTalker

ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    The OBS engine can be tricky to fill without flooding. You have to first close off the air flow control, block the drip tip with your finger and then open the fill port and fill it. Don't take your finger off the drip tip until you have closed it back up. Open up the air flow control and there you go. I fiddled with my cotton constantly trying to fix my flooding problem until found a tutorial on how to fill the thing. Good luck!

mike_gr

Jun 14, 2020
    Greece
    The OBS engine can be tricky to fill without flooding. You have to first close off the air flow control, block the drip tip with your finger and then open the fill port and fill it. Don't take your finger off the drip tip until you have closed it back up. Open up the air flow control and there you go. I fiddled with my cotton constantly trying to fix my flooding problem until found a tutorial on how to fill the thing. Good luck!

wow ok thanks!

mike_gr

Jun 14, 2020
    Greece

I did it, it works! Holy s#%t!

mike_gr

Jun 14, 2020
    Greece
    UPDATE:

I lowered the coils a bit and pulled them outward toward the airflow channels.

Today it's vaping greatly going up to 60watts with no issues.

The thing that made a great difference was (as mentioned) the use of more cotton in both the holes and the coil. It took more to break the cotton in (giving a distinct cotton flavor) but it was worth it.

I will leave it as is for now but I know that my next build is going to be far better.

As already mentioned, 60 watts on an 80 watt mod is hard on the battery. I might vape it at like 40w to save liquid and battery.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread