Something to remove vapor from my office

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewieya

Jan 11, 2013
Baltimore
Hello!

I have a small office in my house in which I enjoy vaping a lot. But I need the vapor to dissipate more quickly than it does! If I open my office door and leave it open for less than a minute, the vapor comes out and sets off our smoke alarm which is attached to a service that dispatches fire response! Thankfully, I've been able to run downstairs to, hit the code and talk to the alarm company to stop the trucks from coming, but as one might imagine, this is not fun. And it's anxiety-provoking for me. Additionally, the vapor filling and remaining in the room is... unattractive for Skype meetings.

I would love a desktop exhaust of some kind that can dissipate the vapor at least a bit if I smoke into it. But here's the thing, it needs to not be a window exhaust. It's too cold in the winter to have that running in the window and in the summer, I have an A/C unit in the window. Smokeless ashtrays are meant to collect smoke off a burning cigarette and by my research do not pull exhaled smoke.

Any thoughts?

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Interesting problem that maybe someone already has a easy workable solution for you.

"Interesting" to me because I was a DL cloud vaper that only vaped VG Heavy DIY, and I have a smoke detector just a few feet away and above my computer desk. My clouds of vapor never set it off once since early 2013, but my gas stove/oven that is four times farther away from it does (it only has a grease trap hood over it, is not vented outside). I had tried several different brands of detectors that didn't work. The solution that did for my stove was a high velocity floor fan that I can aim up at the detector when I use the stove. It is stored still plugged in but not tilted against a wall out of the way when not in use. So it only takes a second to tilt it, turn it on to put it use, then off and tilt it back to vertical to store it again.

Picture is just to give an idea.... mine is a 20" 8 blade fan with a small footprint that tilts enough without having to move it away from the wall.
floorfansample.jpeg

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    No magic wands here, I'm afraid.

Not many solutions, other than what has been prescribed.

Well, you could vape less indoors and/or try vaping high PG juice for indoors and/or less wattage.

Sometimes ya gotta make sacrifices to achieve your goals. I believe this is one of those times.

Here's a useless (I'm sure) and relatively expensive option by Joyetech...
    $56.05 Authentic Joyetech Avatar VapeNut Air Purifier / E-Cigarette Vapor Eliminator - US at FastTech - Great Gadgets, Great Prices

6877600-5.jpg

I say useless because I'm sure you can just get an air purifier for less that will do the same thing.

Nonetheless, it's 10% off for just a couple more hours with code CANDY2020 lol

Reactions: ewieya

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    I don't know if a DIY external extractor would work?

As something could be thrown together with some exterior plywood, ducting, PC fan and a roll of duct tape.

Exterior plywood would be used for a small window, so that the ducting can go outside and you don't end up with the cold air coming in.

If that doesn't work, something that could pass the vapour through water should work.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    North-Central PA (flyover country)
    Uncle, a couple of random brainstorming ideas:

can you move the smoke detector away from your office?
    can you turn off the smoke detector when working in your office?
    Run a hose to the outside and exhale into the hose.

Spread some VG on the lens of your camera to make the image fuzzy.

Once I tried exhaling through a straw into a glass of ice, thinking that the aerosols would condense out. Didn't work. Still doesn't work exhaling into a glass of coke and ice. Haven't tried beer yet. Some kind of filter with activated charcoal may be worth trying.

One thing that does seem to work is to place a straw in your armpit, hold your arm down and exhale into the straw. Don't know where the vapor goes.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    If you want a simple solution, I'd go ahead and start using a mouth to lung atomizer. You can usually tell which ones are mouth to lunch by the width of the drip tip. The atomizers with skinny drip tips are often mouth to lung. They produce less vapor. But um, if you want, you could also buy a little fan. Fans are notorious for ruining many vape-youtuber careers before they ever took off. They really dissipate vapor thoroughly.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    Hello!

I have a small office in my house in which I enjoy vaping a lot. But I need the vapor to dissipate more quickly than it does! If I open my office door and leave it open for less than a minute, the vapor comes out and sets off our smoke alarm which is attached to a service that dispatches fire response! Thankfully, I've been able to run downstairs to, hit the code and talk to the alarm company to stop the trucks from coming, but as one might imagine, this is not fun. And it's anxiety-provoking for me. Additionally, the vapor filling and remaining in the room is... unattractive for Skype meetings.

I would love a desktop exhaust of some kind that can dissipate the vapor at least a bit if I smoke into it. But here's the thing, it needs to not be a window exhaust. It's too cold in the winter to have that running in the window and in the summer, I have an A/C unit in the window. Smokeless ashtrays are meant to collect smoke off a burning cigarette and by my research do not pull exhaled smoke.

Any thoughts?

I have a couple of air purifiers with hepa filters in each of the rooms I Vape the most in. I bought them from Amazon. Depending on the size of the room I’ve found that the ones for larger rooms ~ 200 or more square feet work the best.

They do cost quite a bit more but they do work. And I clean and change the filters more that what the manufacturer recommends. Only “issue” is the fan noise but I don’t mind it especially at night it works great as a white noise sleep machine.

Hope this helps.

Nov 6, 2020
    Yeah I really think you should look into a higher nicotine and flavor, MTL. Or use your setup at lower wattage with much more restrictive airflow. Just thinking outside the box here, why not have your window cracked a little? Humidity plays a lot i have found out. When it pours and is humid the vapor creates clouds, rather then a sunny day it disappears quite quickly due to less humidity.

Less airflow = less vapor production

Try the Vaporesso Osmall. I've used a few times waiting for my 3 year old daughter to fall asleep. I don't even see any vapor after 4 seconds.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    @ewieya

I agree that MTL with a 50% or higher PG component in the mix will solve the problem of huge clouds. I have ionization and photoelectric fire alarm sensors in my house and the only time a false alarm was set off was when one particular ionization sensor in our family room where we watch TV was faulty. The alarm company replaced it and no more issues. That was years ago.

Photoelectric sensors may be more sensitive to vapor since they monitor with sensors that have to be blocked by smoke breaking or otherwise affecting a light beam in the sensor to trigger.

Last edited:
    • Informative
    Reactions: MLEJ
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread