Study finds smokers reduced cigarette consumption by 44% and increased readiness and confidence to quit after 1 week of e-cig experimentation and ad l

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hill

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
Texas USA
I did'nt want to quit I really enjoyed smoking but I needed to because of mounting health problems especially the COPD. Got a Blu disposable not really intending to quit at that time but just to see if they might be helpful went about my regular routine that day then after about 8 hours I realized that I havent had a cigarette in 8 hours and had no urge for one.WOW!

Needless to say I ordered the Blu kit the next day and got a Finn kit at wal-mart to tide me over that got me down to 1 or 2 a day then I upgraded to an ego and quit completely.

Now I enjoy vaping and have no intention of quitting.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Count me as one who never wanted to quit smoking and who didn't intend to switch from cigs to ecigs but did switch when I discovered how much better they are!

I'm delighted that people who do want to quit smoking *and* nicotine have such an easy time of it with ecigs, but to me the real benefit to ecigs is harm reduction (and that includes for those who use both, which I have absolutely no problem with)... and flavors...! (and no ashtrays :))

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
I too was an unintentional quitter who switched over completely after the first puff on an e-cig. I suspect that when the ANTZ say it doesn't help people quit, they are also referring to using e-cigs. So if you switched, even 100%, you haven't quit. Same attitude I get from my family, "But you haven't REALLY quit"

I don't care what anyone says, I HAVE quit smoking. My continued use of nicotine outside of cigarettes is besides the point.

And I agree with the premise of this study, since a lot of smokers, like me, had given up on quitting altogether a long time ago. So, having them try e-cigs to give them hope that it is possible, to increase their readiness and confidence, is great!

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I'm also part of the discouraged smokers group who had come to accept the fact that quitting was simply not feasible. I failed all the NRTs ever invented, even dabbled with ecigs on an off a few times - early models, cig look-alikes starting in 2009. Finally I picked up an eGo kit in early 2011 and stopped using tobacco a few days later. This time around the transition was smooth and seamless, I simply stopped craving the stinkies.

Anyways, I'm glad there's scientific validation for what we all knew already about vaping. Now, the antz can't claim there's only "anecdotal" evidence regarding the ability of e-cigs to help people quit using tobacco. You hear that Prue Talbot?

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I had completely lost confidence that I would ever quit. I _wanted_ to quit, but I was resigned to the fact that I never would. I didn't intend to _try_ to quit ever again. I knew I would fail, and that gets depressing. I got an ecig thinking maybe I could cut down. I can totally see trying an ecig increasing someone's readiness to quit or switch, however you want to word it. (I think of it as quitting tobacco, but not quitting nicotine, jmo.)

I was so firmly committed to NO MORE QUIT ATTEMPTS for over 5 years that I laughed at the idea of buying this new gimmick. I fought the idea for at least two weeks and chastised the thought. Of course she didn't give up and I spent the money, reluctantly. A funny thing happened on my way to an increase in my over 2 dozen failed quit attempts and it lead to $20k in my pocket instead of in an ashtray.

The common mistake I see in this thread is the confusion caused by the ANTZ and their delusional definition of quitting smoking and in defining smoking as a disease. Smoking is the act of lighting something and inhaling it into your lungs. From everything I've read and from a logical perspective, it doesn't need to be tobacco that is being burnt and inhaled that creates health issues.

Bio fuels create health issues. Societies that use wood for heating and cooking have health issues due to the inhaled emissions. The same is said for coal. You don't even need to light coal to develop lung issues, just mining it can seriously impact ones life. Ignited car and airplane fuels, ditto.

If smoking is a disease, then driving a car or flying in airplanes are also. Cooking or heating your home with wood or coal should also be diseases. Smoking is smoking, period. It has it's own dangers that may cause disease. Using an alternative product to cease soming is the same as walking or riding a bike instead of driving a car or using electric rather than wood or coal to heat your house.

The ANTZ can't even claim their nicotine is used to wean you off tobacco's nicotine anymore. They have pushed the evidence out that nicotine in and of itself is safe for long term use. They no longer are a treatment, they are now also an alternative, albeit a very expensive one.

Smoking is smoking. Tobacco and nicotine are not smoking. Until we somehow get past the propaganda that moved from smoking to tobacco to nicotine as the reason there are SMOKING RELATED ILLNESSES, this battle will continue. E cigarettes are an alternative to smoking that can lead to smoking cessation which has nothing more to do with being a medical device than electric heat does.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Unfortunately, e-cig opponents who work for or are funded by the US government and drug companies will continue claiming that "there's no evidence e-cigs can help smokers quit".

Let's see ... hmmm, "approved" NRT products have evidence that they can help smokers quit. "Approved" NRT products (patches, gums, etc) contain nicotine as an active ingredient. Soooo, an "unapproved" nicotine containing product may not help smokers quit? :blink:

If I drop a 25lb rock on your left foot and it hurts; then if I drop a 25lb lead weight on your right foot, it may not hurt?

:lol:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Circular_zpsd72e2fd8.jpg

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
I had no interest in quitting when I started with blu. Within 24 hours, I cut back because the urge to smoke was less and eventually it wasnt a catastrophe if I ran out of analogs. Two weeks later I was analog-free with only one relapse recently because I thought I forgot my battery charger. I could quit vaping and go back to smoking without a thought but vaping is cheaper and the wife doesn't complain about the smell....

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
The common mistake I see in this thread is the confusion caused by the ANTZ and their delusional definition of quitting smoking and in defining smoking as a disease. Smoking is the act of lighting something and inhaling it into your lungs. From everything I've read and from a logical perspective, it doesn't need to be tobacco that is being burnt and inhaled that creates health issues.

Bio fuels create health issues. Societies that use wood for heating and cooking have health issues due to the inhaled emissions. The same is said for coal. You don't even need to light coal to develop lung issues, just mining it can seriously impact ones life. Ignited car and airplane fuels, ditto.

If smoking is a disease, then driving a car or flying in airplanes are also. Cooking or heating your home with wood or coal should also be diseases. Smoking is smoking, period. It has it's own dangers that may cause disease. Using an alternative product to cease soming is the same as walking or riding a bike instead of driving a car or using electric rather than wood or coal to heat your house.

The ANTZ can't even claim their nicotine is used to wean you off tobacco's nicotine anymore. They have pushed the evidence out that nicotine in and of itself is safe for long term use. They no longer are a treatment, they are now also an alternative, albeit a very expensive one.

Smoking is smoking. Tobacco and nicotine are not smoking. Until we somehow get past the propaganda that moved from smoking to tobacco to nicotine as the reason there are SMOKING RELATED ILLNESSES, this battle will continue. E cigarettes are an alternative to smoking that can lead to smoking cessation which has nothing more to do with being a medical device than electric heat does.

Very well said indeed :thumbs:

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
One of the things that I find so fascinating is how easy it is to never look back when you are already motivated to quit. The only reason I ever wanted to quit was the health reasons. I did quit multiple times and during the breaks I always wanted to smoke. My overall mental state always felt like it was missing the entire ritual. Not just the nic. My wife is the exact same way. We have kids. We've smoked off and on for decades. We both love smoking. But you can't do it forever or it robs you of your health in a really nasty way.

I would like to see stats on the effectiveness with motivated to stop smoking people. From what I've seen it's basically 100%. Nobody I know has relapsed either. They are all totally satisfied and never want to light up again. It's really amazing to watch. None of us have any intention of quitting vaping at this time. However, I'm 100% sure if any of us do it will be exponentially easier than quitting cigs. Life is good and improving every day I don't inhale smoke.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The full text of Wagener's study (if anyone wants it, send an e-mail to me at smokefree@compuserve.com) states that all participants in this study smoked at least 15 cigarettes/day for the year preceding the study (which was conducted in 2012), with participants smoking an average of 23 years. So there were no light smokers or recently hooked smokers in this study.

The three e-cig brands that were offered/given to study participants were SmokeTip, ProSmoke and bluCig, with participants choosing one of the three brands after experimenting with the different products (including different nicotine levels ranging from 9-16mg/ml, and menthol or nonmenthol flavor).

Participants of the study also rated bluCig as better tasting and more enjoyable that SmokeTip or ProSmoke products.

After participants used e-cigs ad libitum (i.e. whenever and as much as they desired) for one week, cigarette consumption declined from an average of 17 cigs/day down to an average of 10 cigs/day.

Wolffy

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The last pack of cigs I bought is still wrapped in cellophane and two weeks old. I went with the prosmoke system and purchased another brand of juice. After the second day smoke free I've had no desire for tobacco. When I tried to quit cold turkey I usually caved in within 72 hours. My logic was I'd rather die a free smoker than a jailed non smoker.

It's only been a couple of weeks for me but I am confident that I have kicked the tobacco habit because I still go through most of the smoking ritual while getting my nic fix. I'm also already feeling better than when I smoked.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
"After participants used e-cigs ad libitum (i.e. whenever and as much as they desired) for one week, cigarette consumption declined from an average of 17 cigs/day down to an average of 10 cigs/day."
Like was mentioned, true selection of true variety would have reduced it from an avg of 4-0 range.
Variety and use are key factors. A vision spinner with a Kanger T3 would have gotten great results, compared to the little Blu. The Blu is nice for now & then, but it ain't no Provari.
The WHENEVER they wanted, is key too. And the ANTZ know this, and they rush ahead of us making waves & causing bans before our city council members even know what an eCig is. I really wish we could send "leaders" a STEALTH VAPING allowed sign, along with Drexel Report, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread