Sub-ohm coils and battery safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
I suspect they are 20 amp continuous. Personally, I would rather buy LG HE2 or Samsung 25R so I know what I've got, but that's just me :)

the mxjo is, i just got an email from the manufacturer, but the internal resistance is super low. Mxjo is the same as the LG but with lower internal resistance.

The imren may be a little higher, i contacted them too but haven't heard anything back yet.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
the mxjo is, i just got an email from the manufacturer, but the internal resistance is super low. Mxjo is the same as the LG but with lower internal resistance.

The imren may be a little higher, i contacted them too but haven't heard anything back yet.

I think it's pretty clear both mxjo and Imren are re-wraping other companies' batteries, so it's not the batt manufacturer you talked to. At best it's the company that re-wraps them, at worst it's the company that distributes or sells them. They already misrepresent these batteries by claiming amp rates that are pulse numbers not continuous like all the major battery suppliers do. If Sony, AW (yes, AW is not a manufacturer, but he has a proven track record that I trust), Panasonic, Samsung or LG say it's a 30 amp battery, they're all talking CDR and they can be compared by that. Once I'm told that a 20A batt is a 35A batt, I will not believe anything else they say and they've lost me as a customer.

Plus, even if I know what battery they are using today and I'm OK with buying that batt, they can change it at any time and I wouldn't know unless I did my own testing on them. On top of that, their prices are frequently higher than the known batteries. For me this just seems like increased risk for no possible gain and I don't like that ;)

jdake, if these batteries are working for you, that's great and I have no issue with it. For me, I want to be sure what battery I have and what the manufacturer's specs are on it. That and known good suppliers does it for me.

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
I think it's pretty clear both mxjo and Imren are re-wraping other companies' batteries, so it's not the batt manufacturer you talked to. At best it's the company that re-wraps them, at worst it's the company that distributes or sells them. They already misrepresent these batteries by claiming amp rates that are pulse numbers not continuous like all the major battery suppliers do. If Sony, AW (yes, AW is not a manufacturer, but he has a proven track record that I trust), Panasonic, Samsung or LG say it's a 30 amp battery, they're all talking CDR and they can be compared by that. Once I'm told that a 20A batt is a 35A batt, I will not believe anything else they say and they've lost me as a customer.

Plus, even if I know what battery they are using today and I'm OK with buying that batt, they can change it at any time and I wouldn't know unless I did my own testing on them. On top of that, their prices are frequently higher than the known batteries. For me this just seems like increased risk for no possible gain and I don't like that ;)

jdake, if these batteries are working for you, that's great and I have no issue with it. For me, I want to be sure what battery I have and what the manufacturer's specs are on it. That and known good suppliers does it for me.
I am pretty sure mxjo produces their own batteries, i haven't seen otherwise and they are lower internal resistance than any battery that i have seen on the market. Not sure about imren.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I am pretty sure mxjo produces their own batteries, i haven't seen otherwise and they are lower internal resistance than any battery that i have seen on the market. Not sure about imren.
Where have you found information on the internal resistance of the mxjo batteries, and what source for the LG he2's internal resistance are you comparing to? Numbers I've seen for the LG are "<0.020 Ohms", compared to "around 0.015 ohms" for the vtc5. Allowing for some variation in individual batteries, that's pretty much identical. My point: given that the specs of the mxjo "35a" 18650 is pretty much identical to the LG (and the Samsung 25r as well) and as there's no information on a battery manufacturer named "mxjo", small variations in stated internal resistance won't persuade me to believe anything other than that the mxjo "35a" is a rewrapped LG he2 (or a Samsung 25r, but the LG is more likely).

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

What evidence do you have that they make these batteries themselves?

I'm not sure about any of these new, small players in the battery game. Here's a thread from BudgetLightForum in which someone with the name MXJO introduces the MXJO 18650. In the next post leaftye says "Since I don't see prices on your website or the identity of the cells under your wrappers, I assume your intention is to sell to vendors, not direct." MXJO responds, but not to the implication that they are re-wrapping batteries. I know if I were making my own batteries or selling a brand of batteries and someone posted that, I would clear that up.

Even if they have low IR (and IR is only one battery property), I keep coming back to the fact that they use pulse numbers for the cells, not continuous ratings like the big guys do and they don't even say what the pulse duration is. So, I don't know who makes the batteries or what the specs really are and if they are re-wrapping they could change the battery they use at any time. Too many unknowns for me and the way they market these batteries just seems shady to me.

Again, if it works for you go for it. I just feel that as long as I can get good batteries with accurate specs that I know are safe, I'll go that route.

Last edited:

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
Ok so I did some dirty work, IMREN is not re-wrapped, It was on it's last leg so i took the wrapper off and guess what.... Nothing was underneath it. Not re-wrapped, so now i am going to have to buy a new one. Also i don't have any links for the MXJO's internal res. but to me it outperforms the LG HE2 imho. Personal preference i guess.

I absolutely will not take the wrapping off of the MXJO, that one is still working great for me.

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
Batteries don't always have clear markings under the wrapper. One of the LG he2s I've stripped doesn't have markings (btw, shrink wrap is cheap so no need to toss stripped batteries). Have you compared the LG and mxjo under load? Same mod, same atty and coil, same battery charge level?

Yes, and imo i think the mxjo was better, it seemed to hit harder and faster. both tested on 4Nine mod(which when tested has a .01 or .00 voltage drop) and a .29ohm build on an Igo-w.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ok so I did some dirty work, IMREN is not re-wrapped, It was on it's last leg so i took the wrapper off and guess what.... Nothing was underneath it. Not re-wrapped, so now i am going to have to buy a new one. Also i don't have any links for the MXJO's internal res. but to me it outperforms the LG HE2 imho. Personal preference i guess.

I absolutely will not take the wrapping off of the MXJO, that one is still working great for me.

As Ken said, they don't all have markings on the case. My MNKE did not either.

BTW, if you ever need to re-wrap a battery; Tutorial: Re-wrapping a battery. I have not tried it yet, but it seems pretty easy :)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Yes, and imo i think the mxjo was better, it seemed to hit harder and faster. both tested on 4Nine mod(which when tested has a .01 or .00 voltage drop) and a .29ohm build on an Igo-w.

One way to quantify that is by comparing voltage drop under load between the two batteries in the same mod and the same atty and build. I do that with all my batteries when they are new. With a clean mod, the vast majority of V-drop is due to battery internal resistance. The lower the resistance the more obvious it will become. It's also a great way to check battery health as they age. I have a small RDA that I leave at 0.5 ohms and all it does is battery checks. Have not had to rebuild it for the last two years so I know the resistance is always the same.

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
I have a small RDA that I leave at 0.5 ohms and all it does is battery checks. Have not had to rebuild it for the last two years so I know the resistance is always the same.

Bbbbuuuuuuuuutttttt wwwwwhhhhhhhyyyyy? lol 2 years, crap man you have the patience of a tree trying to grow taller. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread