Substituting TFA bavarian cream for Flavour art ____?

Status
Not open for further replies.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
That's a superb combination; I use it in lots of recipes from coffees to desserts to creamy cocktails. Various combinations of Vienna Cream, fresh Cream, and the three FA Vanillas have replaced all my cream, vanilla, and custard flavors. Once you get a base you like from these flavors, try with a little Maple Syrup or Butterscotch.

We'll go so far as to say those two together are extremely good...but wethinks it's possible it could be made better with one/both of the TFA creams (along with yours/other possible tweaks). That may just be a difference in taste opinions :)

We're currently making & replacing our vanillas with flavor concentrates we're making from vanilla absolutes - and getting ready to try a few CO2 extracts (but we won't be posting any details until we've done a bit more experimenting & testing). So far, one of the vanilla absolutes is adding a very thick & creamy texture as well as sweetness...so there's great potential there.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
And here all along I thought Linda was trying to give us something safe to vape. It seems as if most of her flavors has the bad stuff in them. But then again when we smoked the stinkies we weren't really all that concerned about what was in them. We were concerned at how much the price kept going up. Ymmv!

We look at that stage from a totally different seat in the arena! Linda/TFA is the ONLY vendor (we know of) that has ensured the flavors undergo testing and that the results of that testing is made public so that we all have the information we need to make an informed choice. And that has been done (to our knowledge) without first lying and making false claims that cannot be proven.

Linda has also given us the information we need to learn how to taste these flavors so that we can discern them in flavors from all manufacturers...so we could have used that information and our own taste-buddies to learn what TFA flavors contained them (or that we suspected)...and shared our thoughts & experiences amongst ourselves right here.

Yeah, we shouldn't have to...the vendors that have been raking in thousands/tens of thousands monthly from vapers over the past years should have started testing & disclosing the second anyone recognized the diacetyl/diketones were inhalation risks - published the data and publicly challenged & named those vendors that didn't. And we vapers should have educated ourself enough to demand the same. (We're guilty as charged there - we accepted & believed the standard party-line from the get-go...vaping is safer than smoking and any chemical-soup we vape is less harmful than tar & smoke). So we didn't even bother to think to assume that 'registered suppliers' would be selling diacetyl/similar laced flavors. :::sigh:::

But (our opinion), this world is just too "politically correct" these days (no one wants confront obvious issues in a forthright manner, name-names and make demands anymore); we just accept whatever we're handed, and if we don't like it we 'grumble alot amongst ouselves'. And quite honestly, the world's largest internet vaping community/forum should have had a heavy hand in their criteria for 'registered & approved suppliers'. If ECF would have included "proof of flavors being free of diacetyl/similar diketones that are proven to be inhalation risks - OR - full disclosure of the same"...we'd all be in a totally different scenario now, eh?

But then we have the whole "vaping is safer than smoking no matter what is in the flavors" line of thought...and typically anyone that challenges that is labelled an ANTZ troll or anti-vaper.

We think that guinea pigs & lab rats in any new industry should err on the side of caution (the ole "first physician, do NO harm" thing). We thought the vaping community had learned from their experiences with the tobacco industry.

So we have our work cut out for us, that's for sure. To that end, we feel that Linda/TFA has been a great support and source of information! In fact, we can use the data on the TFA to learn what flavors from other vendors likely include these chemicals...and that would be tough information to find without TFA, Linda and their diligent efforts!

Last edited:

bcollier9253

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
We look at that stage from a totally different seat in the arena! Linda/TFA is the ONLY vendor (we know of) that has ensured the flavors undergo testing and that the results of that testing is made public so that we all have the information we need to make an informed choice. And that has been done (to our knowledge) without first lying and making false claims that cannot be proven.

Linda has also given us the information we need to learn how to taste these flavors so that we can discern them in flavors from all manufacturers...so we could have used that information and our own taste-buddies to learn what TFA flavors contained them (or that we suspected)...and shared our thoughts & experiences amongst ourselves right here.

Yeah, we shouldn't have to...the vendors that have been raking in thousands/tens of thousands monthly from vapers over the past years should have started testing & disclosing the second anyone recognized the diacetyl/diketones were inhalation risks - published the data and publicly challenged & named those vendors that didn't. And we vapers should have educated ourself enough to demand the same. (We're guilty as charged there - we accepted & believed the standard party-line from the get-go...vaping is safer than smoking and any chemical-soup we vape is less harmful than tar & smoke). So we didn't even bother to think to assume that 'registered suppliers' would be selling diacetyl/similar laced flavors. :::sigh:::

But (our opinion), this world is just too "politically correct" these days (no one wants confront obvious issues in a forthright manner, name-names and make demands anymore); we just accept whatever we're handed, and if we don't like it we 'grumble alot amongst ouselves'. And quite honestly, the world's largest internet vaping community/forum should have had a heavy hand in their criteria for 'registered & approved suppliers'. If ECF would have included "proof of flavors being free of diacetyl/similar diketones that are proven to be inhalation risks - OR - full disclosure of the same"...we'd all be in a totally different scenario now, eh?

But then we have the whole "vaping is safer than smoking no matter what is in the flavors" line of thought...and typically anyone that challenges that is labelled an ANTZ troll or anti-vaper.

We think that guinea pigs & lab rats in any new industry should err on the side of caution (the ole "first physician, do NO harm" thing). We thought the vaping community had learned from their experiences with the tobacco industry.

So we have our work cut out for us, that's for sure. To that end, we feel that Linda/TFA has been a great support and source of information! In fact, we can use the data on the TFA to learn what flavors from other vendors likely include these chemicals...and that would be tough information to find without TFA, Linda and their diligent efforts!

I guess you are right, at least she has gone to the lengths of testing. Maybe I was a little out of line in my remarks but it's just funny that when ordering from the website that some of the flavors are clearly labeled "inhalelation risk" and a lot of the others that are mentioned a few post back are not. At any rate I do appreciate what she has done, and like you said, doing more that the other vendors that hide the truth.

Last edited:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Of course, anything could happen (no doubt about that) - but since Linda has explained that Vanilla Swirl is their Vanilla Custard with the 'custard notes' removed, so we kinda doubt that 'custard notes' are ever going to appear. It's a wildly popular flavor, and certainly deserves it!

If that was mentioned earlier in this thread, I missed it (gotta work on my speed reading skills). Thank you for setting me straight.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I guess you are right, at least she has gone to the lengths of posting. Maybe I was a little out of line in my remarks but it's just funny that when ordering from the website that some of the flavors are clearly labeled "inhalelation risk" and a lot of the others that are mentioned a few post back are not. At any rate I do appreciate what she has done, and like you said, doing more that the other vendors that hide the truth.

Maybe we're right or maybe we're wrong...it's just the way we see it ( :::grinning::: currently). We certainly don't think you were out of line in any way! We2 are frustrated that the data on the site is inconsistently posted...and it's caused us to waste money and time we'd rather not have wasted. But in the 'big picture' (like you say), it's better than any other vendor than FA!

Last edited:

kabalm18

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
USA
If that was mentioned earlier in this thread, I missed it (gotta work on my speed reading skills). Thank you for setting me straight.

'Wasn't mentioned earlier that we know of - we knew it from reading something else :)

If you go to vanilla swirl on the tpa/tfa site it states that vanilla swirl has had the diketones removed. Not word for word but...

thepcbguru34

Aug 19, 2013
Houston, TX
This is quite a let down. I have just about all of these flavors, sans about 4-5 :( Glad they let us know though... it really says a lot about the integrity of this company. I will continue to buy and use TFA as my primary DIY supplier... they have many many flavors that are amazing and I find them to be rather easy to DIY with, especially the fruit flavors. Thank you TFA for your honesty and integrity and amazing flavors!

Just like mom used to make

bcollier9253

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
Maybe we're right or maybe we're wrong...it's just the way we see it ( :::grinning::: currently). We certainly don't think you were out of line in any way! We2 are frustrated that the data on the site is inconsistently posted...and it's caused us to waste money and time we'd rather not have wasted. But in the 'big picture' (like you say), it's better than any other vendor than FA!
I just noticed while placing an order on ECX that Fa's bad flavors are marked as such. Maybe the other vendors are following suit after TFA?!?! I say that, but ECX's Signature Line (TFA) didnt get marked as such.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
ya id rather play it safe :\

Don't drive on the highway then, it's probably the most dangerous thing most of us do. :)

Seriously though, if your really nervous, try vaping unflavored. I'm doing it as I type. Seems like for the most part, none of the ingredients in flavoring have been tested for inhalation. Myself, I'm not to worried because no matter what, I believe it's better for me than smoking. Just my :2c:

Last edited:

philmyboob

Moved On
May 7, 2013
tempe, az
Don't drive on the highway then, it's probably the most dangerous thing most of us do. :)

Seriously though, if your really nervous, try vaping unflavored. I'm doing as I type. Seems like for the most part, none of the ingredients in flavoring has been tested for inhalation. Myself, I'm not to worried because no matter what, I believe it's better than smoking. Just my :2c:

safe in my head is a little diff from yours :p

bcollier9253

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana

Seriously though, if your really nervous, try vaping unflavored. I'm doing as I type. Seems like for the most part, none of the ingredients in flavoring has been tested for inhalation. Myself, I'm not to worried because no matter what, I believe it's better than smoking. Just my :2c:

Well said Steve! Where ya been hiding at? Haven't seen much of ya

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I was thinking ya was making a move. Yeah hopefully all the snow is done! I think we were in the 60's here in Indy today. Good luck to ya settling in. Good to have ya back

Thank You BC, I appreciate that. I haven't seen 60's since I've been back, feel free to send some of that my way :laugh:

Cheers,
Steve

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I noticed TFA Sweet Cream is not on the list... I thought i'd heard there was AC in it...?

Anyway its good to know that FA Fresh Cream, and Vienna Cream are clean in that respect.

I really like TFA Sweet Cream but lately prefer to order FA fruits anyway, which is what i vape mostly (fruits), (and some Inawera and Hangsen), so I'm glad I got a 30ml of Vienna.

At 4% VC tastes like Egg Nog... delicious, but I mostly use it 1 to 3% to smooth out fruit flavors... I think FA is awesome!

Muero

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
Nashville TN
Well, I understand that acetoin and AP are risks. As far as I know acetoin can catalyze into Diacetyl when manufactured. One is chemically similar. That's not to say that being chemically similar will necessarily behave in a similar fashion upon being inhaled. To my knowledge, incomplete as it is, acetoin and AP have not been shown to cause problems. (but I doubt many flavors have been) Furthermore, as I understand in order for Diacetyl to be an inhalation risk, one must inhale loads of it. For myself, I doubt the minute amounts that may have catalyzed from acetoin that represent maybe a few parts per million in recipes would pose a serious risk. (though maybe it would i really don't know) I can easily navigate to TFA ingredient list, I can not find the exact list of molecules used in Flavour Art products. I mean the molecules present in butter that make it taste like butter is diacetyl and other related compounds, so I find it hard to believe that FA doesn't use these compounds like acetoin and AP in their creams else they wouldn't taste like creams. At least TFA is being straightforward about it, no BS. For myself, I'm not throwing all my flavors away. I'll use what I have and in the future avoid anything that tastes like butter or cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread