Suggestions for a variable voltage for a newbie to mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotay87

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2011
Pacific North West
If you are considering the reo you might want to check out the Vmod from Vapage.com. Half the price of a reo and there is a coupon code vapin15 for 15% off. There is some good but long threads in the mod video review sub forum with good info and helpful fan club. You can also get different shells and change the look the bottom feeder...

Edit... Forgot to mention it comes in 2 sizes XL and the 2.0....

2nd edit.... The XL is Kickable with some simple modding... If your not familiar with the kick it is drop in module that turns mechanical mod into a variable wattage device which is the same as VV basicly...

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
If you want a vv reo, the vvgrands will be on sale soon but there will be hundreds waiting for the exact moment they are put up for sale then it will be madness Lol. They will sell out immediately to those who have the patience to wait out the server overload. It took me an hour last Saturday to get a vv woodvil and I am super excited. I love bottom feeding and I also love cartos in tanks.

I own a provari and absolutely love it. I think it is beautiful. I am a big fan of crystalclearvaping so whatever he carries and sells is alright with me. If he thinks his version of the lavatube is alright I'm sure it is. I obviously perfer my provari to the lavatube I had but that's me. For the price..I think ccv 's lt would be a good match for you.

And yes, I've heard good things about the vmod, there is a big thread about it on the liquid feed mod forum. But I don't think its vv. Ive also heard great reviews of the vv boggers box mod..it is cheaper than the vv reo and more easily obtainable.

I have looked into kicking a reo grand but I'm seeing mixed reviews on the kicks..there's reports of them not working after just a short while.

You've got some really great options!

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Hum I'm starting to think I might get a Lavatube and wait for the vv reo grand or perhaps even the vv woodvil (although I just can't see myself using a wood device.) But will see.

Andrew at ccv will treat you right! (And since scot is reading this...don't vent your tanks by removing the screw! ;))

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Hum I'm starting to think I might get a Lavatube and wait for the vv reo grand or perhaps even the vv woodvil (although I just can't see myself using a wood device.) But will see.

The new LT from Crystal Clear is a great deal at $51. If I had the spare cash laying around, I'd pick up another one myself.
It's been worked on and so many vendors carry it that the manufacturers have gotten a lot of feedback. In the past, they've been pretty good about fixing issues and refining it. The newer ones, not the VERY newest, but the newer Version 1's, are better than the original models in a lot of ways, so I know it's not a product that has gone static. Assuming that the newest V 1.5 or ( or whatever they're calling it), is holding it's current well as the battery drains, the Provari won't have a lot of functional advantages.

The way I see it is that this technology is evolving too rapidly to invest in something that you'll have long past the time it's obsolete. By the time you go through $150 worth of Lavatubes, you can buy the very latest PV every year for 3 years. Meanwhile, the guy who bought the Provari will have spent the same $150 and he'll have a 3 year old, obsolete PV.

I bought a top of the line Sony computer in 2005. It only broke down, finally, a few months ago. Meanwhile, for the money I spent, I could have gotten a new computer every couple years. Ater the first two years, I would have been using a faster computer for 5 of 7 years. The Sony was the best technology for 2005, but by 2007, it was already down to the middle of the pack. By 2009, it was near the bottom. Take home lesson. The latest greatest may not be worth the money if most of what that money is paying for is the assurance that it'll still be working when it's ancient technology.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
If you are considering the reo you might want to check out the Vmod from Vapage.com. Half the price of a reo and there is a coupon code vapin15 for 15% off. There is some good but long threads in the mod video review sub forum with good info and helpful fan club. You can also get different shells and change the look the bottom feeder...

Edit... Forgot to mention it comes in 2 sizes XL and the 2.0....

2nd edit.... The XL is Kickable with some simple modding... If your not familiar with the kick it is drop in module that turns mechanical mod into a variable wattage device which is the same as VV basicly...

I think the concept of VW is far superior to VV. I can't wait until more low priced mods have it. The difference is like the difference between cruise control that works by setting your throttle at a certain fuel flow and a cruise control that adjusts it according to the speed you're moving.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut

If you are leaning toward the Lavatube the $52 unit with free shipping from Crystal Clear Vaping is probably the best you can do. They call it LarvaTube but it is a LavaTube with a different name for legal reasons. You might consider the batteries with it, two for $16. Too bad they don't sell chargers. If you go that route I suggest the Trustfire model TR-001 charger.

My second choice for $30 would be the Joyetech eGo-C Twist XL Battery 1000mah unit when it becomes available. 4.8v will cover most of your vaping needs and it's an inexpensive way to get some experience in the VV world. That is something I'll be buying to go along with all my other VV units including the Lavatubes V1 and V1.5.

Errol

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
BTW does anyone know when the Reo Grand will be expanded to variable voltage? I don't want to spend 150-200 if I can't change the voltage.:) Also I can't believe that the price only includes the device itself, no accessories, no atty's no nothing...that's pretty steep if you ask me!

The REO Grands start at $139.00 for just the APV alone. You will need to supply your own batteries, atty's, carto's, or whatever you use. You can almost guess the Grand VV will be at least $40 more than the regular Grand price for now.... Not to mention they will sell out in minutes....

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
If you are leaning toward the Lavatube the $52 unit with free shipping from Crystal Clear Vaping is probably the best you can do. They call it LarvaTube but it is a LavaTube with a different name for legal reasons. You might consider the batteries with it, two for $16. Too bad they don't sell chargers. If you go that route I suggest the Trustfire model TR-001 charger.

My second choice for $30 would be the Joyetech eGo-C Twist XL Battery 1000mah unit when it becomes available. 4.8v will cover most of your vaping needs and it's an inexpensive way to get some experience in the VV world. That is something I'll be buying to go along with all my other VV units including the Lavatubes V1 and V1.5.

Errol

I may be wrong but I think I saw where the vv egos dropped voltage considerably underload. The highest setting is 4.8 with no load attached but that doesn't mean anything if it drops down a couple volts once an atty or carto is attached and vaped. It's the underload voltage that really matters. And a standard voltmeter like madvapes sells won't work on it so you won't really know what the voltage is. Some people don't care about stuff like that and some do. Not knocking the ego.. I have one and it's sitting here in it's honored place right beside my laptop. It got me off cigarettes and for that I'll love it forever LOL. For new vapers just starting out, the ego type devices is what I usually recommend for their simplicity, longevity and price.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
It's OK man, after seeing some of the other mods, I would rather pay the extra dough for a Reo to be honest.

You'll need to watch the reo site for stock updates for when the next batch of vv grands is going on sale. There isn't a date set yet but it should be within the next month or two. You'll need to be at your computer right at the appointed sale time and be patient.. it took some people over 2 hours of reloading and refreshing to get through the order process. The metal's sell for less than the woodvils so the vv grands will most likely be cheaper. I'm not really interested in the metal Reos but that doesn't mean I won't be there trying to get one LOL ;)

The Reos have a huge following and their creator is on the Reo forum regularly.

Last edited:

knivesout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
MT
The way I see it is that this technology is evolving too rapidly to invest in something that you'll have long past the time it's obsolete. By the time you go through $150 worth of Lavatubes, you can buy the very latest PV every year for 3 years. Meanwhile, the guy who bought the Provari will have spent the same $150 and he'll have a 3 year old, obsolete PV.
I'd rather not have to worry about upgrading my PV every few months and just send my unit back to the manufacturer for a $20 upgrade. In addition to the peace of mind knowing that the technology in the PV is among the very best available. Oh and also knowing that should I decide to sell the mod for whatever reason, I can do so for essentially what I paid for it (maybe more in the case of blue LED or uncommon finishes). The initial lower cost of the LT doesn't really make sense to me when thinking long-term, but hey that's just my opinion.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
I may be wrong but I think I saw where the vv egos dropped voltage considerably underload. The highest setting is 4.8 with no load attached but that doesn't mean anything if it drops down a couple volts once an atty or carto is attached and vaped. It's the underload voltage that really matters. And a standard voltmeter like madvapes sells won't work on it so you won't really know what the voltage is. Some people don't care about stuff like that and some do. Not knocking the ego.. I have one and it's sitting here in it's honored place right beside my laptop. It got me off cigarettes and for that I'll love it forever LOL. For new vapers just starting out, the ego type devices is what I usually recommend for their simplicity, longevity and price.

Hi Donnah. There is a voltage draw down chart at this link that show the voltage draw with a 2.2ohm carto and it looks pretty good to me though I have to admit I've never counted puffs so I have no idea how long the ideal of 4.8 to 4.5v at 130 puffs would take to get into the 4.4v range or 170 plus before it needs charging. :) Joyetech eGo-C Twist XL Battery

Errol

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Hi Donnah. There is a voltage draw down chart at this link that show the voltage draw with a 2.2ohm carto and it looks pretty good to me though I have to admit I've never counted puffs so I have no idea how long the ideal of 4.8 to 4.5v at 130 puffs would take to get into the 4.4v range or 170 plus before it needs charging. :) Joyetech eGo-C Twist XL Battery

Errol

LoL.. reading that I couldn't help but think of the person doing the testing.. having to take a "puff" for 4 seconds every 5 seconds till the batt ran all the way down... there would have to be several guys sitting around passing it back and forth :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread