Swapping LEDs on Provari mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm sure Provape would do it for a parts, service, and shipping fee. Since you are interested in another Provari purchace, be patient as the green LED will become available again. You can call Provape and find out approximately when. Someone had posted when Provape expected more to be available, but I don't recall when.

Someone recently posted here on one of the ECF forums a YouTube video on someone removing all of the inner components of their Provari so that he could custom paint the body .

Last edited:

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
I emailed them last week when I heard about Green leds from, you guessed it, Baditude. They told me it's only available at the time of purchase, they cannot change your led colors if you mail your unit in because of the circuitboard or something, here is the official response, "Unfortunately, the LED color is only available at the time of purchase. We are unable to change the LED on the circuit board without damaging the board itself." I just watched phil recap vapefest 2013 showing off a mod that turns your provari into a big mod that takes those huge batteries. But it requires you to disassemble your 'vari which will most likely kill your warrenty.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I emailed provape last week when I heard about Green leds from,you guessed it, Baditude. They told me it's only available at the time of purchase, they cannot change your led colors if you mail your unit in because of the circuitboard or something, here is the official response, "Unfortunately, the LED color is only available at the time of purchase. We are unable to change the LED on the circuit board without damaging the board itself."
That response from Provape actually surprises me. I would have thought they would do it for a service fee. Thanks for your input, RedhatPat. Now we all know.

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
Goes to show how cool their customer service is when people assume they'll accomidate any and all requests for a small fee. When I thought I had screwed in my viva nova too tight they offered to check and raise the center pin. Turns out I was overreacting and never sent it in but it was nice to know they had my back.

Last edited:

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
The LED itself is not all that hard to replace - it's if you want the digit display replaced where the hard part is. Anyone with good soldering skills would be able to replace the SMD LED, but the display is a 10 pin SMD part. Much tougher to remove without possible damage to the circuit board. It can be done, but normally requires special soldering tools. I was going to redo my Provari, but there are two different configurations for the display LEDs, common cathode and common anode, and without pulling it apart to check, I don't know which they are. Can't see leaving it apart to wait for the display parts to arrive.

One thing I do want to do is shim up the fire button a little as I am getting a lot of misfires lately, causing the menu to display while trying to vape.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I suspected that the LED in my Provari was a surface mount part. Those have fragile leads that are best left in place. I can see that the LED is mounted to the side of my fire button and not an integral part of the switch.

I agree that the switch overtravel is non-existent in the Provari. You have to press it all the way down before it fires. Any release of pressure and it stops firing. There should be a little range in actuation. That would require a spring loaded contact. The MIL spec switch is probably entirely mechanical for reliability. Springs are a potential failure item and the one on the Provari switch is there just for positive deactuation.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
i think its 60 bucks to replace the board so thats about he only option. for 50 60 more you can probably run across one in the classifieds.

I need to send mine in to have the board resecured. It has some free play that affects the switch actuation. You can feel and see the free play when you clean the contact with a pencil eraser. It's small, but enough to make the switch actuation point change just enough to notice from time to time and I can sometimes feel the battery move back and forth slightly with a button press. I think it's just a matter of adding a stripe of silicone seal on each side and re-inserting the board into the mounting slots.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Dave, that went right over my head but I still think the best solution to the OP is from that kitty cat susieq60002 lol. But seriously Dave, you sound like you know your stuff!

I spent 36 years as a field engineer for a multi-national electronic printing products manufacturer. You pick up lots of hands on experience that augments your formal training and applies to things you encounter in daily life.

Yes, the best thing to do is send it in for repair and modifications by someone who is trained. :)

TimmyB5286

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Ohio
i think its 60 bucks to replace the board so thats about he only option. for 50 60 more you can probably run across one in the classifieds.

You are absolutely correct. Here is a reply I got when I asked if they could change the color; "Hi Timmy,

Unfortunately, the only way we can change the LED color is to replace the entire circuit board with a new one. A new PCB costs $65.

If you would like to continue with this option, let me know and we can send you the return instructions."

TattooedSkin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Las Vegas
I emailed them last week when I heard about Green leds from, you guessed it, Baditude. They told me it's only available at the time of purchase, they cannot change your led colors if you mail your unit in because of the circuitboard or something, here is the official response, "Unfortunately, the LED color is only available at the time of purchase. We are unable to change the LED on the circuit board without damaging the board itself." I just watched phil recap vapefest 2013 showing off a mod that turns your provari into a big mod that takes those huge batteries. But it requires you to disassemble your 'vari which will most likely kill your warrenty.

That sucks! I really wanted my to be upgraded to grren, but i guess it's more reason to buy a mini with green?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread