Not open for further replies.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I just got a doggy 18 and I built it. The chiney wouldnt come out. I wasnt sure if that was supposed to be that way but I built it anyways. I built it with a 26ga 3mm coil coming out about .5 ohms. Dang that thing was unbearably hot! I must have done something wrong or Im just not going to like this tank if its burning my lips. Tastes ok though before it gets hot.

In the 2k18 version the chimney comes already attached via thick o-rings to the tank.

As @ricks said, this version has juice flow control which is operated by using the drip tip to turn the chamber. When you can see wicking - the JFC is open, when you can only see metal, it's closed.

Coil height also plays a big part in getting either more throat hit or more flavour. I prefer low to the airflow hole. But for those who like throat hit, raise it a bit. Here's my coil height:
    deckcomparison.jpg

This shows the different decks - 2k18 on the left, 2k16 on the right.

I use a 2.5mm id coil in the 2k18 - so maybe try a smaller id than 3mm.

As the deck is a GTA style, so your wick tails needs to go down a bit further than other RTAs.

Here's my 2k18 rayon
    wicking:

2k18wickchannel.jpg

I've thinned the tails quite a bit, and cut them to sit flush on that bottom ridge.

soggy2k18.jpg

This shows also the coil height. It's only a mm or 2 above the airflow hole.

I use 28ga in my doggys, prefer the fast ramp up and these are 2.5mm id ss316l 5 wrap coils.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Try a smaller coil, maybe try 28g instead of 26g if you have some.

Good advice. 28ga is good for low wattage. 26ga works well once you get up to 30W or so. It's all about heat time. Larger gauges at low wattage take too much time to heat up in my experience.

Steam Engine is our friend.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    Good advice. 28ga is good for low wattage. 26ga works well once you get up to 30W or so. It's all about heat time. Larger gauges at low wattage take too much time to heat up in my experience.

Steam Engine is our friend.
    No, you do not have to get up to 30W to have good vape with 26 gauge.

I never vape above 20 watts ( usually it is 14-18) and for me 26 gauge do not take too much time to heat... unless I will make coil that is longer than 8 wraps.

How long time coil needs to heat up depend on mass of coil not just gauge of wire. Personally I prefer 26 gauge ... it is less flimsy and easier to wick. If you make coil with 26 gauge SS 2.5mm ID wire with 6 wraps Steam Engine recommends vaping at 17w... and if you use Kanthal 26 gauge 2.5mm ID, 6 wraps Steam Engine recommends 18w.

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I took a plunge early September and ordered 3 doggys, without ever trying one. Finally built on my sjmy doggy 2k16 yesterday to great success! I put in an .85 ohm 2.4mm coil, wicked like I normally would, but did not thin the tails. The doggy vapes perfectly, without any leaking whatsoever. I'm very impressed at the quality of the machining for this clone. Love how simple and intuitive this RTA is, and how good it looks.
    Thank you @DPLongo22 for the recommendation!
    20191022_090352.jpg
    20191021_164032.jpg

SP013

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 14, 2019
    Warsaw, Poland
    I took a plunge early September and ordered 3 doggys, without ever trying one. Finally built on my sjmy doggy 2k16 yesterday to great success! I put in an .85 ohm 2.4mm coil, wicked like I normally would, but did not thin the tails. The doggy vapes perfectly, without any leaking whatsoever. I'm very impressed at the quality of the machining for this clone. Love how simple and intuitive this RTA is, and how good it looks.
    Thank you @DPLongo22 for the recommendation!
    View attachment 846535 View attachment 846537
    Do you have a link to the one you bought? Looks different from the one I own.

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2014
    Planet Earth

SP013

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 14, 2019
    Warsaw, Poland

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    $13.17 (Free Shipping) SJMY Doggystyle Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer (SS + PMMA, Silver (SJMY)) at m.FastTech.com
    I know this is the SXK doggy thread, but thought it would be appropriate to post about my sjmy's. I bought the DTs seperately of course.

This is the 'anything goes' doggy RTA thread - they've put up with me and a few others raving about the sjmy's amazing airflow ;)

The smidgee (ask @DPLongo22 and also ask him what he nicknamed the SXK ;) ) looks awesome on the DB :wub:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    This is the 'anything goes' doggy RTA thread - they've put up with me and a few others raving about the sjmy's amazing airflow ;)

The smidgee (ask @DPLongo22 and also ask him what he nicknamed the SXK ;) ) looks awesome on the DB :wub:

Twas not I, Ange. I am but The Stealer.

She Who Names Things is the blinged-out feline. Not just mods either. People too! :lol: :wub:

@Katdarling, to the kore. :)

One of my all-time favorite exchanges (in this regard) was this one >

You'll need to hit the back button each time - sorry about that!!!

~The Billet BoX~
    (^ and the post immediately following ^)

Followed by>
    ~The Billet BoX~

Then this>
    ~The Billet BoX~

And>
    ~The Billet BoX~

Finally (two posts again) >
    ~The Billet BoX~

Klassically Kat. :laugh:

Point being, both "Sexy" & "Smidgie" (sp?) were coined by another, and used repeatedly and relentlessly by moi. If there's one thing on this planet I do well, it's plagiarize Kat's work. :cool::thumbs::wub:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    DEEEEEEEEE PEEEEEEEEEEE ELLLLLLLLLE!

winner winner, dahlink!!

And whatta lotta work there! GREAT finds and fab trips down the Mem'ry Lane!!!

89748505-ca3d-4e05-8a2e-c83174fbb91a-992cb1e1-eaa3-454d-ad52-7488a82bd040-v1.png

Twasn't easy, KitKat, but had me cracking up all over again!!!

G'nite all (Nytol!). :)

FrankRice

Nov 30, 2015
    I just got the 2k18, and I'm a restricted DL vaper, towards the loose MTL end of the scale. I'm very impressed so far. The draw is incredibly quiet and smooth. No leaks at all. Also, no dry hits even if I take very long pulls at my usual 25 watts. Flavour is on point too. Just my 2 cents for anyone that's interested.

Ps. I'm not the greatest at coiling and wicking, but still got it right the first time. Not a hint of leaking or flooding, and I've shelved my Fresia because the 2k18 is performing so well. By the time I figured out the Fresia wicking properly, the 2k18 arrived and it made the Fresia seem noisy and too airy, even when the large DL part of the airflow is closed almost all the way down.

Last edited:

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I had a lot of laughs reading those posts @DPLongo22 and @Katdarling thanks! :lol:

I am really loving this doggy. It's definitely a keeper and I'm glad I took a gamble and ordered 3. However, is it just me, or does this thing go through juice like it's going out of style? I'm so used to my Erl and vaping about 1-1.5ml, and it seems the smidgee doggy I'm vaping about double that. Perhaps, because it's new and I'm enjoying it and guzzling down the juice, but I don't seem to be vaping all that more than normal.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I had a lot of laughs reading those posts @DPLongo22 and @Katdarling thanks! :lol:

I am really loving this doggy. It's definitely a keeper and I'm glad I took a gamble and ordered 3. However, is it just me, or does this thing go through juice like it's going out of style? I'm so used to my Erl and vaping about 1-1.5ml, and it seems the smidgee doggy I'm vaping about double that. Perhaps, because it's new and I'm enjoying it and guzzling down the juice, but I don't seem to be vaping all that more than normal.

I forgot, Bark - is yours the Y2K, or the older ones (Sexy & Smidgie)? The Y2K (Katspeak, obviously) does seem to drink a bit, but not the older ones. I find them similar to the Erls in that regard, although smaller in capacity.

I like the Y2K but I do have to wrestle with it more than the others. That juice flow thing isn't friendly with all of my tips.

>

Nevermind. You answered it. I do pretty well with the Smidge. Same juice and stuff (you)?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread