SXK DOGGY STYLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
You guys have provided me with tons of reading, and I’m glad to join the club on Tuesday!

I have high hopes. Right now I have had 4 Innokin Ares, and only 2 performed well, and those 2, perform differently with the same coil/wick/juice. It’s infuriating.

Looking for some consistency, and happiness!! I’ll order 5 if it’s good, and as many spare parts as I can get!

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I finally had to replace a tank on one of the Doggies. Apparently I had screwed up a thread on it, as it wanted to cross thread. No worries tho, I have plenty of spare tanks. Other than that they are going good. :)
I have yet to have one fail in over a year. I do have around 30 back up’s when the day comes though. I am very careful when screwing back together. I can imagine a slight overforce will quickly screw up the threads.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
You guys have provided me with tons of reading, and I’m glad to join the club on Tuesday!

I have high hopes. Right now I have had 4 Innokin Ares, and only 2 performed well, and those 2, perform differently with the same coil/wick/juice. It’s infuriating.

Looking for some consistency, and happiness!! I’ll order 5 if it’s good, and as many spare parts as I can get!

I don't want to derail the Doggy thread as a happy Dog owner myself but I also own the Ares and I would like to know exactly what is different about the 2 Ares you don't like? Feel free to pm me if you are concerned about being off subject.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Mine have been knocked around a lot, and they're pretty tough little buggers, especially for ten bucks.

I wrecked one, and that was with a needle nosed pliers (bent the chimney). Other than that, they've withstood me well, at least so far.

Impressive, for sure.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
I don't want to derail the Doggy thread as a happy Dog owner myself but I also own the Ares and I would like to know exactly what is different about the 2 Ares you don't like? Feel free to pm me if you are concerned about being off subject.

With the ares, my main one runs great, and I’m happy with it. However, the problems I have had with others....
1. The top fill does not sit flush when slid back, causing the draw to be VERY AIRY, even on the smallest OR closed setting.
2. Above also caused leaking from the top.
3. The airflow control ring was different on all 4 ares I tested. Some were perfect, others were so loose, the ring spun freely.
4. The draw was different on all 4, even built with the same coil/wick/juice. It could be tinkered with to be the same, just annoying.
5. The post on one ares was broken out of the box. It was usable, but got it replaced.

Among other minor annoyances that I can’t think of. It’s not a deal breaker for the tank, I like it. I just won’t buy another one not knowing what’s going to be in the package.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
With the ares, my main one runs great, and I’m happy with it. However, the problems I have had with others....
1. The top fill does not sit flush when slid back, causing the draw to be VERY AIRY, even on the smallest OR closed setting.
3. The airflow control ring was different on all 4 ares I tested. Some were perfect, others were so loose, the ring spun freely.
4. The draw was different on all 4, even built with the same coil/wick/juice. It could be tinkered with to be the same, just annoying.
5. The post on one ares was broken out of the box. It was usable, but got it replaced.

Among other minor annoyances that I can’t think of. It’s not a deal breaker for the tank, I like it. I just won’t buy another one not knowing what’s going to be in the package.

Thanks for that explanation. I totally understand your frustration. The one I just received is perfect so either they have fixed their production problems or I just won the Ares lottery. I have read many posts on this and other forums that reference the problems you describe. Thanks again for your answer.

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD

Great info because I was going to get another Ares. Only have one and it works flawlessly... never a problem but it seems to be a crapshoot getting another.

Oh! I'm also a doggy lover. I only screwed up one. :)

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
I have 12 SXK doggies now, 6 working and 6 kenneled for the future. I also purchased 20 spare PC tanks and to date I have used 3 of them. I think I may have been too heavy handed screwing the tank on and I have changed the way I do that now so hopefully I wont have to replace too many more, but I have spares handy if I do.

Chodi, With the Ares, as well as the top cap issue I did suffer from leaking and gurgling issues after rebuilds, but then I always have with topfill tanks that don't have juice flow control. Sadly there isn't enough room between the chimney and tank to bottom fill the Ares as easily as you can with the Beserker to get around this problem. For me though, the biggest let down with the Ares is the airflow. There is simply too much even on the smallest hole. I think most people have (thankfully) forgotten how tight a filtered cigarette draw actually is and the Ares can't come close. For a tank that was sold as a MTL tank to help get people of the ciggies it's a major oversight and let down IMO.

If poeple are happy with the Ares I am genuinely glad for them, whatever keeps them vaping and not smoking, but for me it was a step backwards and reminded me of the days and same dissapointment a lot of us felt with the airy Kayfun 5.

The Doggy isn't perfect, but for me it's still incredible compared to the other recent RTA's. I just wish a big manufacturer would look at its simplistic design and function and realise everyone else is trying to over engineer the vaping process, and then bring out an affordable similar tank that I can support, instead of using these clones.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Rcon, I have read many posts from die hard mtl users that want a tighter draw than the Ares can provide. For me it is just fine. I own both the SXK and SJMY Doggies and it is certainly true that you can get a tighter draw on either of them than you can from the Ares. I have even read comments stating that Phil Busardo tuned the Ares airflow to his personal preference. I happen to like it but then I am also a fan of the Kayfun V5. What I am saying is that I am flexible as long as I don't have to deal with DL sub ohm vaping. I enjoy all forms of mtl except the extremely restricted vape that I guess you prefer. I left cigarettes 2 years ago and I could care less what they used to taste like or draw like. I enjoy my vape gear much more than any cigarette I ever smoked. That's just me I know we are all different.

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
Fair points well made Chodi. I wish I could be more flexible like you to be honest, but low watts tight draw is the only thing that works for me unfortunately. I've always treated vaping purely as a smoking cessation tool and nothing more, so perhaps that explains it, I don't know. After nearly 3 years I'm down from 18mg to 3mg and next year aiming for 0mg before I eventually stop completely, probably, maybe :)

I'm just glad for the Doggystyle - it should see me through to the end now even if nothing else comes along.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My ares had the "a bit loose" topcap but it seems to have fixed itself over time, maybe things have settled in. I don't have a (functional) doggy to compare it to, but I love the Ares on the (small, opposite all the other airholes side) to me, it has an almost perfect draw. I did order a second, and despite my massive FAIL with the doggy style I ordered another as well.... I'm hoping this one isn't possessed, as I really want to try the doggy it gets such rave reviews! But I am a huge fan of the ares despite a few early problems.

My coil and wick are holding up FOREVER too. I use it pretty often and I've had it a while. Still on my first wick. There are many things "right" about the ares, and hope it gets and stays more consistent while production continued. Even when the top-click was slightly loose, I didn't have leaking/flavor issues, I just clicked it back if I ever noticed it was coming loose, but even floating around in my purse a couple times (loose) I didn't get leaking. It was a really minimal "looseness."

Now I just wish I could figure out why it is fixed, but such is vape... Mysterious. LOL.

Anna

Reactions: DPLongo22

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
You are about right at 0.63 ohms,i said seven wraps not eight for the 28 ga build. I absolutely love the mod,i have just ordered another one for back up since they are being discontinued. The battery has really surprised me, two nights use around 11 hours and still going.That will be about two tanks or around 6 ml. I would say if you order one get the SS version, the black is prone to fire button sticking like the black Epetite or Esquare. Not autofiring but not clicking back out. The SS version is fine.The SS version is getting hard to find,the first one i got for $51 shipped on sale.The second one was $87 shipped. I have a link if you need it.
I appreciate the offer for the link on the Coral, Dub. Looks awesome, and I was really considering it, but decided to go with the S Body DNA75. Just ordered it today, along with another SXK Doggy and spare tanks. Love that Coral, but thought it'd keep life simpler to get a similar sized DNA mod that uses 18650's. Although I was thinking with DNA, it's probably safe to charge the 18500 in the mod.

So instead of pestering you for doggy advice, I'll probably hit you up for info on configuring DNA! ;)

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I appreciate the offer for the link on the Coral, Dub. Looks awesome, and I was really considering it, but decided to go with the S Body DNA75. Just ordered it today, along with another SXK Doggy and spare tanks. Love that Coral, but thought it'd keep life simpler to get a similar sized DNA mod that uses 18650's. Although I was thinking with DNA, it's probably safe to charge the 18500 in the mod.

So instead of pestering you for doggy advice, I'll probably hit you up for info on configuring DNA! ;)
Best decision you ever made going with a DNA device. I would not consider anything else now, especially seeing that i only use TC. It is really easy to learn but any advice setting it up just PM me. I internally charge all my DNA devices. There is a little learning curve but it is really simple and the rewards are like no other vape in my experience. Once you get it then set it and forget it.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
Got my doggy today, early! Excitedly tossed in a 2mm ID coil with the SS vandyvape superfine MTL wire.

Installed and wicked no problem, I think. Definitely WAY less cotton than I use in the Ares, but haven’t gotten and dry hits at all.

So far, I tossed in the same pistachio ry4 I have in my Ares, and vaped them side by side. The flavor is almost identical. It’s hard to tell the difference. I’m impressed with the doggy, and I want to break it in and see how the flavor comes along.

The draw is pretty awesome, LOVE how tight I can make it.

I may toss in a round wire coil to see how the flavor is tonight. With the fused clapton, this thing will chug juice with the smaller capacity, so I’m hoping i can be satisfied with a kanthal coil at low watts.

Will update!

Ps, looks awesome on the coolfire pebble.

D23D79F4-CA48-4AE4-97A4-90383895EA48.jpeg

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016

I have that S Body DNA75 (it is the old chip). It was amazingly cheap. You better be ready to do a complete set up using Escribe as mine came in a default mode that did not work properly at all until I did that. I own a Lost Vape DNA75 so I had some prior experience. Without that I would have been lost. I do not believe S Body does any setup on the devices before sending them out.

I should mention that the mod is fine once you get it setup. I use it in my daily rotation. Got it about 3 weeks ago. Nice build but took me hours with Escribe to get it where I wanted.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Thanks, Chodi- yes, at around $50, that's the cost of the board itself, so I guess you won't get a DNA mod much cheaper than that. Odd, though, that even if S Body doesn't customize it, that it wouldn't be functional with Evolv factory defaults. I've already downloaded EScribe, and poked around, as well as watched parts of a couple of videos. It should all come together for me when I can plug in the mod.
Is there a simple theme you recommend to download and get started with? Or is it best just to go thru the steps and create/customize my own profiles?

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread