Not open for further replies.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Wow. Just wow. I am sooooooooooooooooo impressed with how many vapers came forward to share their stories and to hold their local government accountable. Makes me so terribly proud to be a vaper and a part of this community.

Good job, Washington peeps. :toast:

I can hardly wait to read the news reports tomorrow. :2cool:

Demarko

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.twinrosesoftware.com
I was the tenth speaker :) I just got home from it. All I can say is... Wow! I almost didn't go, because I figured that it would be split into 2 groups -anti ecig and for ecig. And I knew that there was going to be ten people speaking against the ban... I'm glad I added my voice to the overwealming show tonight. SO many nonsmokers got up and spoke... It was amazing! If you could have seen the woman who had been denied treatment until she quit smoking breaking into tears. It would choke you up.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I spoke with Bob Alexander, and apparently the three people who were on the dias for Monday's meeting are not the Board of Health. One was an attorney, one was a doctor doing a residency, and the other was a tobacco control person. Bob thinks it was a "bait and switch" tactic.

:evil:

The actual Board of Health is meeting at 3 p.m. tomorrow, Wednesday, May 18, and it is vital that folks attend that meeting and speak. The public will be given 3 minutes each to talk. If you spoke on Monday, can you see your way clear to attend Wednesday afternoon's meeting? Same place.

Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department Auditorium
3629 South D Street
Tacoma, WA 98418

The public is allowed to speak very near the beginning of the meeting, so it is important to get there early and sign up to speak.

Also, the board will vote on the matter on Wednesday, June 1, same place, 3 p.m. Again, members of the public who wish to speak will be permitted 3 minutes each.

Bob needs a ride down from Seattle.

BTW: Maybe the reason the antis did not show up to speak is because they plan to address the real Board of Health tomorrow afternoon. We really need folks to turn out again for tomorrow afternoon to counter their false propaganda.

Some possible points to discuss:

• The board says that they don’t have enough information to know these are safe. Policy decisions should not be made on insufficient information.
  • Ask the board, “What problem is this legislation designed to solve? How many people in Tacoma have been injured in some way by electronic cigarettes? In what way? If there isn’t a tangible quantifiable problem, no solution is required.”
  • Discuss nicotine safety. In large enough quantities, nicotine is a neurotoxin. In large enough quantities, Warfarin is rat poison.
  • Review scientific differences between smoke and vapor.
  • Ask if the BoH can guarantee that if e-cigarette users switch back to smoking the health improvements they have enjoyed won’t disappear.

You can submit a written comment here: http://www.tpchd.org/health-wellnes...n-control/tobacco-regulations/submit-comment/

Last edited:

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I attended the public meeting last night held by the Tacoma-Pierce County Board of Health re: the proposed ban of e-cigs in public places and in the workplace.

The three people on the panel were Gregory Jacoby, General Counsel for the Tacoma Pierce County Health Department, Dr. Paul Sastael, and Kirsten Frandsen, Prevention Program Coordinator.

Mr. Jacoby explained what the proposed regulations legally meant. Ms. Frandsen concerns were how the proposed regulations would effect the general public and Dr. Sastael’s remarks focused on health issues.

Ms. Frandsen said that more information and data is needed to protect the general public. She was concerned about second-hand vapor and that the rising popularity of e-cigarettes might make smoking tobacco cigarettes more socially acceptable.

Dr. Sastael said that e-cigarette studies were still in their infancy and it was premature to say that e-cigarettes were safe. He pointed out that there are alternative methods for quitting smoking other than e-cigarettes that are “safer”, regulated, and … they know they don’t work 80% of the time.

The proposed regulations create a false equivalency comparing cigarettes to e-cigarettes without any information or data to back it up. They say they don’t have enough information to prove that e-cigarettes are safe but at the same time they don’t have any data proving they are harmful.

On June 1st the Tacoma-Pierce County Board of Health is poised to vote to ban the use of electronic cigarettes in public places and in workplaces without any data whatsoever. They will vote to ban e-cigarettes based on a presumption of how people might act.

They are proposing regulations to solve a problem that doesn’t exist.

What can we do? Attending last night’s meeting was not enough. The Tacoma-Pierce County Board of Health will meet tomorrow at 3:00 pm. The proposed regulations will be introduced. The vote on the regulations happens on June 1st. Comments by the public (limited to three minutes per person) is on the agenda. We have to go back. And we have to go back for the June 1st meeting when the board will vote on the proposed regulations.

We’re not done yet.

Tomorrow we'll have a chance to tell our story to the board members face to face. That will have a greater impact than their reading the transcript from last night's meeting.

When:
Monday, May 18, 2011
3:00-5:00 PM

Where:
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department Auditorium
3629 South D Street
Tacoma, WA 98418

If you can't make it ... write or call these people. Here's the list again:

Tacoma-Pierce County Board of Health

Richard Muri (currently opposes banning e-cigarettes indoors)
(253) 798-3308 PHONE
(253) 798-7509 FAX
.....muri@co.pierce.wa.us (the ECF censor removed first part of email address - is a four letter nickname for Richard, then a dot before the muri)

Stan Flemming (currently opposes banning e-cigarettes indoors)
(253) 564-6675 PHONE
stanflemming@hotmail.com

Jake Fey (serves on local advisory board of American Heart Association)
(253) 594 – 7848 PHONE
(253) 927 – 1068 PHONE
(253) 383 – 5908 PHONE
(253) 591 – 5123 FAX
Jake.Fey@cityoftacoma.org

Pat Johnson (Mayor of City of Buckley)
(360) 829 – 1921 PHONE
(360) 829 – 2629 FAX
pjohnson@cityofbuckley.com

Pat McCarthy (Pierce County Executive)
(253) 798-6602 PHONE
(253) 798-6628 FAX
pmccart@co.pierce.wa.us

Marilyn Strickland
(253) 594 - 7848 PHONE
(253) 396 – 0265 PHONE
(253) 591-5123 FAX
marilyn.strickland@cityoftacoma.org

Rebecca Sullivan, MD
(253) 848 - 6661 PHONE
(253) 841 – 1483 PHONE
(253) 798 - 7627 FAX
annreid42@lycos.com / rsullivan@wa.net

Rick Talbert
(253) 314 – 3514 PHONE
(253) 471 – 2581 PHONE
info@ricktalbert.com

Ron Lucas (Alternate) (Mayor, Town of Steilacoom)
(253) 581 – 1912 PHONE
(253) 582 – 0651 FAX
rjlucas@comcast.net

Victoria Woodards (Alternate, rep. of Tacoma City Council, At-Large position 6)
(253) 591 – 5100 PHONE
(253) 473 – 1449 PHONE
(253) 591 – 5123 FAX
Victoria.Woodards@cityoftacoma.org

BTW ... I'm without a car. I have to pick up my son from school at 1:00 pm and then figure out how to get to Tacoma.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread