Action Required - Final Reading & Vote on Tacoma-Pierce County E-cigarette Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
UPDATE: The board has revised the proposed law: http://www.tpchd.org/files/library/22094f84d3b140cb.pdf

As written, the bill would outlaw sales to minors, but would still outlaw using e-cigarettes in most places where smoking is prohibited. The revised bill (which can be found at the address above) allows e-cigarettes to be used in public places where minors are prohibited, places of employment that are not public places, and retail outlets that exclusively sell or promote "electronic smoking devices".

CASAA has sent a follow-up email message asking the board to remove errors and speculation from Section 3: Findings, and to delete Section 9 so that use of e-cigarettes is not banned anywhere. found here.

When:
Wednesday, June 1, 2011
3:00-5:00 PM

Where:
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department Auditorium
3629 South D Street
Tacoma, WA 98418

To testify before the Board of Health about an agenda item, step forward when the Board Chair asks for comments on that item.

It is important that those who can attend in person do so. On May 18, a second hearing was held on the bill before the full Board of Health. Representatives from anti-e-cigarette organizations, including the American Cancer Society and Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights, testified in favor of the bill. It is quite likely that the opposition will be there and will try to push for a complete ban on public use of e-cigarettes. If you cannot attend the meeting, please contact the BOH members by phone or email. Be sure to thank them for the revisions that have already been made.

What to say: (UPDATED)
While the revisions do improve the situation, it is troubling that public use of e-cigarettes are being banned anywhere at all, because they produce NO smoke and present NO danger to public health. It is also troubling that there is inaccurate and misleading information left in the bill. When contacting the members of the board, whether by phone, email, or in person, the following points should be made.
• Start by thanking them for listening and responding so some of the concerns expressed, but some changes are still needed.
• E-cigarettes are not smoked. Change "electronic smoking devices" to "electronic smoking replacement devices" throughout the document.
• "Section 3: Findings" contains many assertions that are not supported by scientific evidence. Request that all except paragraph 2 be deleted, and that the word "replacement" be inserted between "smoking" and "devices."
• Section 9 limits where e-cigarettes may be used. In view of the fact that "A preponderance of the available evidence shows them to be much safer than tobacco cigarettes and comparable in toxicity to conventional nicotine replacement products," Section 9 should be deleted.

Link to CASAA's Call To Action page: http://www.casaa.org/CTA/article.asp?articleID=165&l=a&p=

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
No, the law has not yet been voted upon. They held the public hearing on Monday, May 16, and the board discussed it and heard from more speakers on May 18. As a result of the input from the public, they did revise the proposed law, but we feel that they did not go far enough. But even if the revisions were perfect, we would still be asking people to contact the Board of Health and to go to the meeting in person if possible, just to make sure that we are not undermined by the antis.

The law will be on the June 1 Agenda for final discussion and to vote.

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
will this final discussion be live-streamed? I wish this could have been a county closer to where I live so I could get in on this, but then again I might do more harm than good considering I'm only 20 and I'm not using my E-cig to quit smoking, I'm not doing it because I think it's cool, either, but I would just give more ammo to the anti's with the "durrrrrr u seee its supposta attract young ppl"

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I can't wait to see how this goes. we have nothing to lose here, either. if this doesn't go our way, rest assured we'll get plenty more chances elsewhere (although it would suck for the people there!). if we have it go our way this time and just a few more times, it might have a domino effect eventually leading to the antis backing off. don't get me wrong, they'll run a disinformation campaign like they have with smokeless tobacco (ever since kindergarten, I was taught in school that the only difference between cigs and smokeless tobacco is where you get cancer), but if we stay out there and more research is done for us to post, the truth WILL come out that we have real research, which is in no way funded by the E-cig industry, and they got nothing. Wednesday is just one of the many chances we'll get, but the sooner we get a victory this big, the better! if we win, I'm going to order some of this stuff to celebrate want2vape Vapenstein Blend Managua

(ever since kindergarten, I was taught in school that the only difference between cigs and smokeless tobacco is where you get cancer)

Would it have killed them to just mention that you are more than twice as likely to get mouth cancer from smoking? (No, but it might not have killed as many smokers either)

Vap0rJay

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Maryland
As soon as big brother figures out how to tax us to death it will all be ok...

And if they can't - they will make them schedule 1 so they can incarcerate and reap prison profits and get people into the expensive system of rehabs and lawyers and judges and fines etc. You evil criminal you ;) How dare you enjoy vapor?!?

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Would it have killed them to just mention that you are more than twice as likely to get mouth cancer from smoking? (No, but it might not have killed as many smokers either)

in fact sometimes they said "chewing tobacco" (which they universally refer to ALL smokeless tobacco as other than text books)
is even worse than smoking and they acted like you could lose your jaw within a few years of starting and there was some guy telling a story on some video about how he only used it for 5 years and got mouth cancer and they were like "if you chew tobacco, and see this in your mouth, go to the doctor right away!"

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
It is actually being held this afternoon (Tacoma time) from 3 p.m. to 5 PM. Add one hour for each time-zone east of Pacific. Example: As I write this it is 11:25 AM Eastern time. It would only be 8:25 AM in Tacoma.

No agenda has been posted for this meeting as of this time.

Since this is occurring during the regular work day for most folks, we don't expect to see as large a turn out as the public meeting which was held in the evening. CASAA board member, Thad Marney, plans to attend. We have sent letters to those citizens who attended the public meeting, urging them to attend this afternoon's meeting if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread