Action Required - Final Reading & Vote on Tacoma-Pierce County E-cigarette Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demarko

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.twinrosesoftware.com
I will say it's nice to hear blurbs on the news saying words like "vapor" instead of "smoke" and not mentioning anti-freeze or other crap brought up when King County proposed a ban. They said the board had "concerns about nicotine in the vapor" which, at least at this point, we aren't 100% sure the vapor doesn't contain (right?)

While I don't consider it a win, I don't consider it a loss - so it must be a good compromise since no-one is happy.

Vap0rJay

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Maryland
Im beginning to feel like a cow that is being prodded to a corner of the field by force. I do not like this feeling.

"These boots were made for walking, and thats just what they'll do. One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you....."

I like the analogy. My analogy is that this is must have been what if feels like to be on the titanic after it hit the iceberg. That realization your on a sinking ship, and in this case the lifeboat would be to pick another country and move. Lol. More and more, I want on that lifeboat. Ship’s sinking --- fast.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
placebo effect wrote
The revised bill passed. E-cigs are now banned everywhere except non-public workplaces, places that only allow people 18+, and stores that sell "electronic smoking replacements."

Actually, the new regulation only bans e-cigarette usage in about 5% of workplaces (i.e. places where children have access).

placebo effect wrote

Actually, the new regulation only bans e-cigarette usage in about 5% of workplaces (i.e. places where children have access).

After the hearing, many of us went again to a nearby bar, "Cheers" and were joined by Tacoma Board of Health members Muri and Flemming. Chairman Muri has been a strong proponent of e-cigs since he learned about them 4 months ago and he deserves a lot of credit for ensuring that the public got the opportunity to be heard and making the exemptions.

I spoke to Dr. Flemming and although he understood why we were unhappy with any restrictions, he explained that the revisions were written to be intentionally vague and unenforceable. Keep in mind that vaping in a non-exempted public space is NOT a violation of this regulation--the only way to violate this reg is if it can be shown that a property owner or manager does not give due diligence to enforce the smoking ban...and with absolutely no guidance in this bill on how a property owner might be able to prevent people from using smoke-free tobacco products, that isn't going to happen! Really, the biggest problem with this regulation is that it will be difficult to overturn because the issue probably won't get revisited until it is due for review in 2 years.

This is politics at its basest form. The Tacoma-Pierce County Board of Health has at least 4 elitists for whom their own opinion is more important than any science or facts and they were ready and able to enact a complete ban on e-cigs. Fortunately, thanks to Chairman Muri and Dr. Flemming along with Mary Ann Miller from the Lakewood Chamber of Commerce, Steve & Kim Thompson from the Vaporium, Carl from Refindvapor.com and dozens of testimonies from vapers and non-vapers alike, we were able to move the opinions of all the board at least enough to approve these exemptions and pass LIMITED restrictions on vaping that are unenforceable.

We may not have gotten what we wanted, but we tried this time and IMO we got what we needed. :)

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
I still lean toward the freedom of speech angle. For one thing talked with 100th Monkey , a collection of artists, and they accept "The art of smoking", specifically the creation of e-juices, an art form. They have applications in theater productions since many historic characters, fictional and otherwise, smoke.

This argument has been struck down in the past for real smoking because of evidence of objective harm, thus infringing on someone else's right to breath. And as I've said before, we allow glade plug ins, we allow fog machines, and we allow unregulated scented paraffin candles which may be carcinogenic. So long as we can burn a flag, we should have the right to portray an accurate representation of Sherlock Holmes in public.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Interesting how the different headlines spin it - one says "Curbs e-smoking..." (stopped it) and another says "OK's use..." (approved it)

Things that make you go "hmmmmm...."

Here is an updated list.

Board of Health Curbs E-Smoking In Pierce County
Patch.com - Steve Fetbrandt - ‎Jun 2, 2011‎
Health Department says it compromised between the need to protect the public from unknown dangers of smokeless cigarettes and possible benefits of helping smokers kick the habit. By Steve Fetbrandt | Email the author | 12:53pm Members of the ...

Ruling OKs e-cigarette use in Pierce County bars, workplaces
TheNewsTribune.com - ‎Jun 1, 2011‎
It's a compromise. Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department officials get to protect the public from possible risks stemming from others' use of electronic cigarettes, and adults may continue to use the battery-powered devices in certain places. ...

Board Of Health Bans E-Cigarettes For Minors
Patch.com - Brent Champaco - ‎Jun 1, 2011‎
The vote Wednesday from the Tacoma-Pierce County Board of Health came after a month of public comment and input from the public on the controversial e-cigarettes. By Brent Champaco | Email the author | 6:43pm
Electronic cigarette users puff outside The ...

Health Department modifies proposed ban on e-cigarettes
Bellingham Herald - Stacia Glenn - ‎Jun 1, 2011‎
After being inundated with feedback from the public, Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department officials have tweaked a proposal to ban battery-powered cigarettes. The initial proposal prohibited e-smoking – or “vaping,” as users call it – anywhere state ...

Health Department backs off total ban on e-cigarettes
TheNewsTribune.com (blog) - John Henrikson - ‎May 31, 2011‎
After hearing from the public about its proposed ban on e-cigarettes in all public places in the county, the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department has backed off – at least slightly. At its meeting Wednesday, the Board of Health will consider a ...

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
In some ways, I think there will be more places where people can vape now. I know many bars where the owners are like, "Eh, I think they're covered in the smoking ordinance.." Now, there's basically a public statement saying they are okay.

But on the other hand, we had the Mayor say at the end, "I under understand what the big deal is, it's not like you could do it at Walmart".

Demarko

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.twinrosesoftware.com
But on the other hand, we had the Mayor say at the end, "I under understand what the big deal is, it's not like you could do it at Walmart".

True, but didn't wal mart come out with an official policy that it's not allowed? (But no signs or anything, so people do it anyway).

True, but didn't wal mart come out with an official policy that it's not allowed? (But no signs or anything, so people do it anyway).

My "rule of vaping" is to treat it like chewing bubble gum: You really can do it anytime and anywhere you like, but it is sometimes inappropriate to do it openly. Really, vaping and chewing gum are mechanically very similar processes, and a lot of people have quit smoking by substituting non-nicotine alternatives like chewing gum, jelly beans, sunflower seeds, or vaping 0-nic. All smoking replacements have the advantage of being something you really can do anywhere as long as you aren't obnoxious about it. Really the idea that the social acceptance of vaping might lead people to think that smoking is okay is like fearing that if chewing gum is socially acceptable, it will gateway to the nicotine variety and start thinking that spitting is cool. o_O:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread