Taste difference between coil tank and carto tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craybee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Washington, DC
ok i bought an ibtanked about a month ago and while i think it's totally beautiful i don't really care for the taste it gives me with certain flavors; especially when using my favorite juice. usually i also have my mini davide loaded with the same flavor and when i switch to that i feel i'm getting a more authentic hit; i can taste the details of the flavor much better.

on the plus side i've noticed that with the carto tank is flavors which have more punch are toned down a bit, which for me makes it easier to tolerate that flavor on a prolonged basis. but delicate flavors, like my favorite, kinda lose their personality altogether.

so has anyone else noticed a difference in taste between carto tanks and other types of tanks?

Craybee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Washington, DC
Yep. I find that, for my tastes, flavors can taste a little different in various toppers. Some juices I like best in carto tanks, others in clearos, rebuildables or traditional attys. I still keep a variety of different gear around for that reason

well that's good to know cause every time i use my carto tank i kept looking at it with disappointment and saying, "i don't wanna quit you cuz yer so purty, but why do you mistreat my favorite flavor?" since it never answered me back i figured i'd post here about it.

guess i'll just use the more delicate flavors in my coil tanks and reserve the ibtanked for ones i like but otherwise pack too hard a kick in my coil tanks.

New2vaps

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
USA
Yes, there is a difference. It's basically based on the filler material in the carto and the wick on the coils for the clearos. It also depends on the ejuice flavor and where it shines most. I have 7 Ibtanks and to be honest with you, I haven't touched one of them in the last 3 weeks. I have been using the Kanger Mega and the Kanger MOW. The dual coils with low resistance have been beyond great for flavor and vape.

Reactions: kboyts

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
haha, it's the curse of those of us who like variety of flavors. Sometimes I think life would be so much simpler if I liked just one juice and could vape it all the time, I could totally simplify my hardware collection then, but I'm a flavor hound and like to change it up all the time

Craybee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Washington, DC
Yes, there is a difference. It's basically based on the filler material in the carto and the wick on the coils for the clearos. It also depends on the ejuice flavor and where it shines most. I have 7 Ibtanks and to be honest with you, I haven't touched one of them in the last 3 weeks. I have been using the Kanger Mega and the Kanger MOW. The dual coils with low resistance have been beyond great for flavor and vape.

well it's nice to know it's not just me. i've read so many posts from people here raving about their carto tanks, and how much better their juices taste in it that i was startin ta think maybe something was wrong with my tongue.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I used primarily cartotanks for the last two years. I found them to provide better flavor and more consistancy than the clearomizers at the time. Because a carto's flavor wick is so much greater in surface area than just a silica string wick, I always preferred a cartotank for consistancy, flavor, and vapor.

I gave the Genesis-style RBA's a shot about a year ago and had very mixed results. I'd get a great performing coil/wick and all of a sudden it would inexplicably develop problems. Besides the fact that these tanks are not very travel worthy out of the house, I found my results to be too inconsistant and stopped using them. I went back to my tried and true cartotanks.

I've been using a Kayfun Lite Plus for about two months. Aside from some minor issues (user error related), I've been extremely pleased with the flavor production and general consistancy. Not a cloud chasing machine, but a flavor machine. It's not position dependent like the Genny's were, so its an all day vape device.

I've recently been dripping on a Patriot RDA with dual microcoils @ 0.6 ohms, and I admit I enjoy the plumes of vapor, although flavor will always be top priority for me. Because of rebuildable RBA's, I've been able to drop progressively from 12mg nic down to 6mg or even 0mg nic which is a plus in my book. I've even been vaping on pure Vg (its cheap and slightly sweet).

I've also found that different wicking systems produce differences in flavors. I currently use a rebuildable tank atomizer, a rebuildable drip atomizer, and cartotanks.

Last edited:

noifsandsorbutz

May 15, 2014
Chicago
I exclusively used carto for the first 9-months I started vaping. It was a perfect vape for my ADV (nicoticket custard). I bought a kayfun about 3 months ago and have not looked back. I dont have to buy carto's anymore, building a coil and rewicking probably cost me about 30cents now. I bought a second kayfun to switch flavors when I need to

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I just bought an IBTanked, and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I got it because I want to use it for my RY4's and Custards since I think they taste better with a warmer vape and they are muted by my clearos.

I hope I'm not disappointed. Reading this thread makes me feel the IBTanked may not be what I've been searching for. :(

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I just bought an IBTanked, and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I got it because I want to use it for my RY4's and Custards since I think they taste better with a warmer vape and they are muted by my clearos.

I hope I'm not disappointed. Reading this thread makes me feel the IBTanked may not be what I've been searching for. :(

I don't think that you'll be disappointed. :) Just remember, with any new or different juice attachment, there is a certain amount of learning curve involved. There are multiple ways to pre-fill the cartomizer. No one way is the correct way, but one may work better for you than another. There are also minor differences in the cartomizers available. Boge, Ikenvape, and Smoktech all have their followers and swear they prefer one over the other two.

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread