Status
Not open for further replies.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
What the hell are you talking about and who are talking to?

I take it all in, Naked Capitalism, Townhall.com, Infowars, Health Nut News, WSWS.org, Truthdig, anything but the mainstream media, which my fake news detector shut out long ago. Even NPR is no longer palatable with its "Biotechnology Moment" and a Science Friday that was nothing more than a two hour infomercial for Prozac. More than believing any particular news, I always want to be alert to what I should consider on my own.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Laser Beam

Jul 26, 2019
I think salts have a useful place in that there are a small percentage of former smokers for whom unprotonated nic does not work. The thing is though it is a small fraction of current smokers. It is ABSOLUTELY NOT 70% of the vaping market. Protonated nic is causing a much larger problem than the one it successfully solves. The trick is to stop the abuse without hurting the people the stuff actually helps. My best guess for a solution is to make protonated nic a class 1 prescribed medicine. This would allow people who actually need the stuff to stop them from smoking cigarettes to actually do it while keeping it out of the hands of the people it is hurting. I think, anyway. There may be problems with this idea that have not occurred to me.

sorry but this is a terrible solution .. the better solution imo is to make nicotine salts only for pod systems and
make the liquids only refillable by prefilled cartridge system with specific concentrations and put a maximum
safe pods per day .. after this its all the consumer responsibility just like normal over the counter drugs witch
can be more fatal and addictive .. right now there are very few people died because of nicotine overdose
even for nicotine salts .. all the people i know vaping and some of them vape 12 mg free base nicotine can cut the vape without any problem .. ex smokers on another hand are different story .. iv yet to see someone who was not an ex smoker and he have nicotine addiction form vaping ..

• Optimistic

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
sorry but this is a terrible solution .. the better solution imo is to make nicotine salts only for pod systems and
make the liquids only refillable by prefilled cartridge system with specific concentrations and put a maximum
safe pods per day .. after this its all the consumer responsibility just like normal over the counter drugs witch
can be more fatal and addictive .. right now there are very few people died because of nicotine overdose
even for nicotine salts .. all the people i know vaping and some of them vape 12 mg free base nicotine can cut the vape without any problem .. ex smokers on another hand are different story .. iv yet to see someone who was not an ex smoker and he have nicotine addiction form vaping ..

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
sorry but this is a terrible solution
might be
.. the better solution imo is to make nicotine salts only for pod systems and
can be more fatal and addictive ..
“more fatal and addictive” huh? Fatal definitely, though generally you have to swallow a bottle or more of pills to do it. Addictive I am NOT getting though. The only over the counter I have ever heard someone having addiction problems with is ephedrine. And that one got fixed. I certainly haven’t heard everything though.

The key point though is that solution is even worse than mine. It doesn’t solve ANY problems. The EU runs a max nicotine concentration instead. Seems to work pretty well for keeping kids off the stuff. It needs to be a low enough concentration to to get someone high. It’s got its own stupidities but it seems to Make more sense than yours. I doubt perfection is possible.
right now there are very few people died because of nicotine overdose
true, and AFAIK they were all children and accidental. Household cleaners kill more kids than nicotine. That’s not what the public is going ape about though
I have. Here. In posts. Takes some pretty high mg/ml though. Takes salts.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2012
San Antonio
Infowars? Really? That’s the some of the most pure propaganda that exists you know. It pretty much defines national and unregulated. It’s also got the worst record for telling the truth of almost any outlet.
What might I trust infowars on? Stuff that has nothing at all to do with either politics or the USA.
o you found imperfections in some stuff and therefore went for the complete trash because it better fits what you like to think. Propaganda is good at that. Lies can be made more beautiful than truth. In the late stages of world war 2 German propaganda actually got a lot more entertaining as it had to do more lying. The Prozac thing is a great example. Psychiatric drugs always have problems, generally big ones. The question becomes are the problems the drug solves greater than the problems the drug creates in a given instance. You hate Prozac though and have defined it binarily as “all bad” so you see something that points out advantages and dump the whole thing.
I knew the mention of Infowars would set people off and compromise my credibility, but I don't care. Yes, Alex Jones is a bit of a nut, and I don't care for his Illuminati and (EDIT) stuff. He loves Trump, which, to me, is as ridiculous as loving Hillary Clinton, as politicians anyway. I watch Infowars now and then for the surprise elements. Jones is universally acknowledged to have uncovered Bill O'Reilly's addiction by pointing to O'Reilly's weird behavior on screen. Many years ago Jones followed the case of a young soldier who said the wrong thing about Iraq and was thrown into a military jail. He beat the bushes until the kid was released. Jones uncovers interesting things, which is why he is being heavily censored online.

You have a few biases of your own to contend with. You'll dismiss Truthdig as a "lefty site" without ever knowing that Robert Scheer and Chris Hedges are two of the finest journalists in history. If it weren't for Truthdig there would be no coverage of the injustices done to Edward Snowden and Julian Assange.

None of the mainstream news will talk about how we still have the patriot act, and with that, government can disappear people without charges, without contact with anyone, indefinitely. Mainstream media never, ever covers the Green Party, and since mainstream media has the credibility among the hoards, during every election cycle people think they have to choose a "lesser of evils" to vote for, while the Green Party in Canada keeps growing and growing. Mainstream media really never talks about how we have no privacy online, thanks to our government, in contrast to the EU government which slapped Google with a 50 million dollar fine for its breach of EU privacy law.

I could go on and on about what does not get covered in mainstream media. What is left out is as much an editorial decision as what is said. What is covered will always have a slant toward serving and shielding the multinational corporate rulers. I expect to see more of the "Children are dying!!!" articles about vaping. It's what I'm used to seeing in the mainstream news.

Last edited by a moderator:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I knew the mention of Infowars would set people off and compromise my credibility, but I don't care. Yes, Alex Jones is a bit of a nut, and I don't care for his Illuminati and Jewspiracy stuff. He loves Trump, which, to me, is as ridiculous as loving Hillary Clinton, as politicians anyway. I watch Infowars now and then for the surprise elements. Jones is universally acknowledged to have uncovered Bill O'Reilly's addiction by pointing to O'Reilly's weird behavior on screen. Many years ago Jones followed the case of a young soldier who said the wrong thing about Iraq and was thrown into a military jail. He beat the bushes until the kid was released. Jones uncovers interesting things, which is why he is being heavily censored online.

You have a few biases of your own to contend with. You'll dismiss Truthdig as a "lefty site" without ever knowing that Robert Scheer and Chris Hedges are two of the finest journalists in history. If it weren't for Truthdig there would be no coverage of the injustices done to Edward Snowden and Julian Assange.

None of the mainstream news will talk about how we still have the patriot act, and with that, government can disappear people without charges, without contact with anyone, indefinitely. Mainstream media never, ever covers the Green Party, and since mainstream media has the credibility among the hoards, during every election cycle people think they have to choose a "lesser of evils" to vote for, while the Green Party in Canada keeps growing and growing. Mainstream media really never talks about how we have no privacy online, thanks to our government, in contrast to the EU government which slapped Google with a 50 million dollar fine for its breach of EU privacy law.

I could go on and on about what does not get covered in mainstream media. What is left out is as much an editorial decision as what is said. What is covered will always have a slant toward serving and shielding the multinational corporate rulers. I expect to see more of the "Children are dying!!!" articles about vaping. It's what I'm used to seeing in the mainstream news.
I’m unilaterally moving this to outside. This is not about vaping. I will reply at https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forums/outside.49/create-thread

MiriM

Jul 9, 2019
Handing out single use sterile syringes for harm reduction remains very controversial and is illegal in many locations. Pretty much like vaping is being viewed.

Harm reduction is not understood by many people, that’s why. Some people are very black and white thinkers and think you either do something or your don’t. That and they don’t understand addiction. For me, e cigarettes are a harm reduction tool.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
I knew the mention of Infowars would set people off and compromise my credibility, but I don't care. Yes, Alex Jones is a bit of a nut, and I don't care for his Illuminati and Jewspiracy stuff. He loves Trump, which, to me, is as ridiculous as loving Hillary Clinton, as politicians anyway. I watch Infowars now and then for the surprise elements. Jones is universally acknowledged to have uncovered Bill O'Reilly's addiction by pointing to O'Reilly's weird behavior on screen. Many years ago Jones followed the case of a young soldier who said the wrong thing about Iraq and was thrown into a military jail. He beat the bushes until the kid was released. Jones uncovers interesting things, which is why he is being heavily censored online.

I've had some direct dealings with Mr. Jones, as I worked in the media ( mainstream & "alt") for many decades.

He is only interested in selling his insanely overpriced snake-oil supplements, he also happens to be an arrogant, untrustworthy little :censored:.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London

The part in bold suggests you know a lot of vapers who are not ex smokers. I also get the impression you are relatively young. As this is exactly the issue capturing a lot of attention and damaging the whole vaping issue in the US maybe you can shed some light. The media, certain studies and politicians are claiming it is epidemic in American schools. What are you thoughts on that?

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2012
San Antonio
I've had some direct dealings with Mr. Jones, as I worked in the media ( mainstream & "alt") for many decades.

He is only interested in selling his insanely overpriced snake-oil supplements, he also happens to be an arrogant, untrustworthy little :censored:.
Yeah, kind of the way the editorial decisions of the untrustworthy mainstream media aim to protect their massive revenues from big pharma, which also sells insanely overpriced snake oil.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yeah, kind of the way the editorial decisions of the untrustworthy mainstream media aim to protect their massive revenues from big pharma, which also sells insanely overpriced snake oil.
Well the attempt to pull the political rating to a more appropriate section has clearly proven useless.
“untrustworthy mainstream media” as if you’re differentiating it with the word “untrustworthy” instead of attempting to impart the attributes to it. Seeing this particular psychological trick so often lately. It’s gotten so every time is see a devaluing monicker before a descriptor I get suspicious.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
"Vaping" is the delivery mean.

It doesn't say much, no more than saying that somebody fell ill after "swallowing" - without saying what they swallowed.

Why people didn't ask: "Vaping what?" as they would have certainly asked if the journalist had wrote: "... after swallowing".

Media have confused people about vaping, so they now conflate the verb with the object.

Hope this is clarified in the eyes of the public, as soon as possible.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
While watching CNN in airports I see ads for miracle pills galore. All have potentially dreadful sides affects. While watching Fox at my brother in laws I see the same ads.
Big media and big pharma are thoroughly intertwined these days.

One thing I notice about the negatives of vaping is the visualzation of people expelling big clouds of vaper. Often times a dual turbo Mustang is on a teenagers want list for thrills and breathing out big clouds of vape while drag racing down the streets of their utopian suburbs. Nothing as cool as a lowered (insert brand of car here) all dragging the ground over speeds bumps as a giant plume of vape wofts out of the driver side window. At least that is the notion the big media tries to sell. And soon after that little innocent Johnnie is a homeless guy in Seattle living in a tent surrounded by thousands of used needles. Or that's what they want you to think a Juul leads to.

Meanwhile some kids sees on youtube some dummy smoking dr pepper through a vape device and next thing you know "teen epidemic rocks society" as he and a few dummies end up in an ER from doing it while an ambulance chasing reporter just happens to be there too.

Yet it's nothing new. I grew up in the 70's and can't count how many kids ended up in the ER from emulating Evel Kneivel. Back then there was no CNN or FOX news, or Twitter or Facebook to spread the news about it. But there were a slew of orthopedic doctors buying new Mercedes from funds derived by me and a slew of other dummies who thought it a good idea to jump over an automobile on a Schwinn Apple Crate bicycle. My mom was quoted as saying "as much money as we've put in this doctors pocket he should certainly have more comfortable waiting room furniture". There were no "story at 11" news flashes of "teen epidemic of broken bones due to Evel Kneivel" stories back then. But there sure were a lot of us dummies imitating him. Even Western Auto had an Evel Kneivel edition of the Western Flyer.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic

Laser Beam

Jul 26, 2019
The part in bold suggests you know a lot of vapers who are not ex smokers. I also get the impression you are relatively young. As this is exactly the issue capturing a lot of attention and damaging the whole vaping issue in the US maybe you can shed some light. The media, certain studies and politicians are claiming it is epidemic in American schools. What are you thoughts on that?

a lot of assumptions here .. no i am not young "29 years old" nor do i live in usa or europe so what i do or what people i now are doing seems irrelevant to the problem .. i live in a country where people start cig smoking from 12 years old lol .. i was not ex smoker but i did smoke hookah shisha for 6 years .. vaping now because it's much more convenient ..

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
2) Ban protonated nic entirely.

I'd support that. I personally know several addicted 50mg nic users that need heavy doses of caffeine pills to counter effects.

I wanted to get everyone's input on the stories in the news about teens being hospitalized with lung disease , doctors are saying common link is vaping.

They all seem to have lipid pneumonia caused by vaping oils. See link below ...
Lipoid Pneumonia: Symptoms, Causes, Risks, and Treatment

• Useful

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Those charliebravodelta devices are exploding on the teen scene like an atomic bomb, so perhaps soon the news will forget about silly ole nicotine vap…… oh wait, that's vape-ing too……
Eh, we can't win. I see kids using those right out in public outside of stores and shopping malls. So I suppose it'll be us law abiding citizens fault for that too.
"sigh" :cry:

• Optimistic

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
a lot of assumptions here .. no i am not young "29 years old" nor do i live in usa or europe so what i do or what people i now are doing seems irrelevant to the problem .. i live in a country where people start cig smoking from 12 years old lol .. i was not ex smoker but i did smoke hookah shisha for 6 years .. vaping now because it's much more convenient ..

I apologise for assuming you lived in the USA. I also apologise for assuming you were young. I realise now English isn't your first language. You did however write this...

all the people i know vaping and some of them vape 12 mg free base nicotine can cut the vape without any problem .. ex smokers on another hand are different story .. iv yet to see someone who was not an ex smoker and he have nicotine addiction form vaping ..

Which suggests you know a lot of people who vape but never smoked. Hence my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread