Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Going to have to owe you and the thread an answer 'till perhaps tomorrow night. Sched tight here. But check your PM's.

Yes, on the diminished flow due to geometry (and airflow, as to no avail if the juice isn't there to vaporize) and just getting cooler at the end. In function t.m.c.'s do continue to get hotter as all coils with longer pulls. So you'd expect more production and more air required. If cooler in your case the airflow is more than adequate to overcome even the dry state of the coil at the end of the draw. Strain winds actually require more air than conventionals if running properly. End turns must also be right on spec exiting at 180deg opposed and not pulled away. In a proper t.m.c. they'll actually run a tad cooler then the normalized remainder. If not contiguous, you may get a hot leg.

Good ex. following of the color diff above. Note the displaced 2nd turn from right running very slightly cooler as incongruous with the rest. The product of overly exuberant tweezer compression when warm.

Such seemingly minor differences may result in perturbations of internal fluid and air flow, imbalances of pressure limiting the output of the wind. Also the accretion litter from that end of the coil. Symmetry of these winds is the goal and important. We'll get back to your 1st on the next go round. Notice the symmetry of vapor egress again here (breaking in at about 30W btw)...

Another example of a successful target (vert's for the 454)…

K23x2 7/7 2.80mmØ=0.2616Ω 52.33-67.43W (14.14-16.06A) 156-184 mW/mm²

Surprisingly cool and quite dense clouds at near 70W (4.2v) mech. Even more of the same when driven hard on a variable at 45W+.

Back soon.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Ridiculous. They passed HB 7119 through Appropriations today almost unanimously.

At 18 you can drive, vote, smoke, drink and marry in the State of Florida…
but God forbid you try a vape.

You would think almost imperceptible traces of nicotinic acid were as toxic as plutonium.

But there is nothing more toxic or as seriiously addictive in the universe is government and taxes.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Lifted from the thread Steam-engine and coil length question, Post #27 for reference.

On the accurate use of Steam-Engine…

If you look at the right hand table in this example you will see the calculated coil width.
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

You make a good point. It's listed but I've not found the calc to be exact and I'm not always sure why. If we're taking about the same thing?…It's #turns+spacing(wire width). However most I don't think use S-E accurately as they just set the target res and if it's close run with it.

For your ex. the target res accurately if you chose to round down to half turn (return coil) would be 4.5 turns, or 0.2435Ω — Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

The width of 2.898 is rounded to 2.9. Hmmm, close enough. Mebe not so much if the calc is done at .25Ω (4.63 turns) rounded to 3mm.

At installation that extra 10th might mean the difference as to whether we end up having to constrain the leads inward or splay them out (induce strain) and producing some end turn separation. Such subtle variations in strain no matter how neat and consistent the wind otherwise can sometimes stifle our expectations of what may be otherwise an outstanding wind.

Just sayin. It's about matching the build to atty geometry as best as possible. Or not, cause it ain't goin there.

Have a great Memorial Day holiday everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: Letitia

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
I really miss this thread. Especially now that I haven't built a microcoil in such a long time. I was going through and clearing up some stuff the other day and found my old rolls of kanthal wire. And I was thinking, wow, I haven't built a coil in years. I have moved away from building as I purchased prebuilt coils and recently have moved to a mesh RTA.

But this thread has a special place in my heart. I remember the frustrations of building, or should I say wrapping wire around silica rope. Yeah, that is where I started. I was ready to give up until I found my way here to find out I can wrap micro coils that touch and just wick through that. It changed my life forever. This thread saved me from quitting Vaping.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I really miss this thread. Especially now that I haven't built a microcoil in such a long time. I was going through and clearing up some stuff the other day and found my old rolls of kanthal wire. And I was thinking, wow, I haven't built a coil in years. I have moved away from building as I purchased prebuilt coils and recently have moved to a mesh RTA.

But this thread has a special place in my heart. I remember the frustrations of building, or should I say wrapping wire around silica rope. Yeah, that is where I started. I was ready to give up until I found my way here to find out I can wrap micro coils that touch and just wick through that. It changed my life forever. This thread saved me from quitting Vaping.

Thanks for the nod MrStik. I often dream what our vape universe might look like today had millions chosen to spread the word on building to a repeatable standard. To get new vapers to a point of focus on their perfect vape rather than a perfect mod. The latter comes far easier with the former.

Enjoy the vape and good luck! :)

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
Believe it or not, I read this entire thread a few months back. It inspired me to get an artistic wire coiling gizmo and go to town. I bought the professional version because it had the rods I wanted to use, then had to modify it to keep the wire tensioned. I've been wrapping my own coils for years, but this set-up made a big difference in the smoothness and tastiness of my vape. It's also a lot easier to wrap a bunch of coils at a time. I'm not sure why this thread has died - right now is the time for many vapers to learn how to be self-sufficient considering what's going on at the FDA.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Believe it or not, I read this entire thread a few months back. It inspired me to get an artistic wire coiling gizmo and go to town. I bought the professional version because it had the rods I wanted to use, then had to modify it to keep the wire tensioned. I've been wrapping my own coils for years, but this set-up made a big difference in the smoothness and tastiness of my vape. It's also a lot easier to wrap a bunch of coils at a time. I'm not sure why this thread has died - right now is the time for many vapers to learn how to be self-sufficient considering what's going on at the FDA.

I agree Linda. Glad you are enjoying the vape. Too wish more of the community had adopted and endorsed the various methods of strain winding discussed on this and the introductory thread…Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!

Smoother and not as dry or hot as you're getting more vapor density from the concentration of wire surface. This usually presents a substantially cooler vapor and not as harsh, regardless of nic level. You can always use a slightly lower resistance to make it warmer and even more dense. If you haven't perfected oxidizing the coils, this is a good tweak. Oxidation also helps reveal imperfections, hot or cold (grey zones), in the coil that detract from performance. The more consistent the surface the better and more uniform that heat transfer occurs.

Hail me anytime on this or the above thread with your questions. Always glad to help. Enjoy!

Reactions: misswish1

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
I agree Linda. Glad you are enjoying the vape. Too wish more of the community had adopted and endorsed the various methods of strain winding discussed on this and the introductory thread…Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!

Smoother and not as dry or hot as you're getting more vapor density from the concentration of wire surface. This usually presents a substantially cooler vapor and not as harsh, regardless of nic level. You can always use a slightly lower resistance to make it warmer and even more dense. If you haven't perfected oxidizing the coils, this is a good tweak. Oxidation also helps reveal imperfections, hot or cold (grey zones), in the coil that detract from performance. The more consistent the surface the better and more uniform that heat transfer occurs.

Hail me anytime on this or the above thread with your questions. Always glad to help. Enjoy!

Thanks, Mac! I've enjoyed and learned a lot from your posts in this thread. What I did about the cooler vape is just bump the wattage up a bit. I'm really getting a more flavorful vape from this kind of coil, and they sure are easier to wick, especially after a few dry burns. The coils just stay together better. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Just for the memories and those folks still enjoying some t.m.c based MTL vapes… thanks to @Mordacai for this great find on the very first and original Subtank!

Kangertech Subtank 25mm

Get them while you can! :D

p.s. Still vaping mine. :thumbs:

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
Just for the memories and those folks still enjoying some t.m.c based MTL vapes… thanks to @Mordacai for this great find on the very first and original Subtank!

Kangertech Subtank 25mm

Get them while you can! :D

p.s. Still vaping mine. :thumbs:

Glad that I'm not the only dinosaur around here. I've got a couple Kylin M RTA's on their way to me (very intrigued with this new technology), but am very much still using my 5 subtanks with .5 ohm micro coils and rayon. Stay blessed y'all! Gosh I don't think I've logged in here in a couple years, but had to stop by when this thread popped up on my radar. Stay blessed, y'all!

Cucco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA
Howdy all! Long time no see!

All of these years later.. I am still in my vaping 'happy place'.. GP PAPS X, KFL+, DIY Coffee juice via Nude Nicotine supplies, and Kanthal A1 (24 awg) tension wrapped at .42 with my Gizmo. The only thing I have changed.. I have decreased my nic to 3mg. :)

Coiling Gizmo Deluxe (Made by LeRoy Goertz fr Wire Work) (2018_11_08 06_02_04 UTC).jpg

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

All of these years later.. I am still in my vaping 'happy place'.. GP PAPS X, KFL+, DIY Coffee juice via Nude Nicotine supplies, and Kanthal A1 (24 awg) tension wrapped at .42 with my Gizmo. The only thing I have changed.. I have decreased my nic to 3mg. :)

View attachment 847419

Great kit you got there @Cucco! Nothing like dialing in a precision build for your favorite vape.

New (and experienced) vapers droppin in here can easily start on the road to reliable and repeatable builds by first learning the simple wind and build techniques described on this thread. Contenti has a good quality pin vise to start with…

Swivel Head Pin Vise with Wood Handle

480-129.jpg

Your 30 seconds to vaping bliss can be our little secret. ;)

karlmetz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2014
NW Florida

View attachment 847419
Could you send a link for purchase of the 'Gizmo'? Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread