The definition of terms used... "analog" and "vaping"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craterz

Oct 8, 2013
SC, USA
I don't really understand the term "analog" when referring to cigarettes. Maybe it's because I'm an electronic engineer for too many years that I care to share, I'm also a guitar/bass musician for almost as long. When I think of "analog" I think of LP's or cassette's, that is vinyl albums or magnetic tape format. Not the digital media that is so prevalent these days (CD's, DVD's, etc.). What I don't understand is the reference to actual cigarettes as "analog" as compared to e-cigs? Actually, both are "analog" in a sense. One just utilizes natural process of "slow-burning" tobacco, whereas the other uses a vaporizing electrical process via a DC power source and various natural (or otherwise) chemicals. Yet is still an "analog" process, that is, a liquid vaporized by an electrical coil. Not something new, really, and a "analog" process at that.

So what's the difference in terms? Is it just a "term"? Or is there something I am missing?

Just curious ;)

Craterz

Oct 8, 2013
SC, USA
Perhaps I'm just being too critical of the term! ;)

Like comparing an VOM to a new multi-meter. Not quite the same. Like comparing an old Simpson to a Fluke? Maybe I'm just dating myself ;) HaHa! That is if anyone remembers an old Simpson multi-meter as compared to the modern Fluke multimeters. Or, being the musician that I am, analog "tube" mixing boards as compared to ProTools digital mixing technology.

jericoriver

Please support CASAA
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Midway,Ga.
That was what I was meaning to compare. I've used old simpsons and do now use a fluke.
Perhaps I'm just being too critical of the term! ;)

Like comparing an VOM to a new multi-meter. Not quite the same. Like comparing an old Simpson to a Fluke? Maybe I'm just dating myself ;) HaHa! That is if anyone remembers an old Simpson multi-meter as compared to the modern Fluke multimeters. Or, being the musician that I am, analog "tube" mixing boards as compared to ProTools digital mixing technology.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
One of the major advantages of vaping is that it isn't consuming product when you aren't hitting it. A tobacco cigarette is "on," consuming product at an infinitely variable level (how hard you hit it), from the time you light it until you put it out, even when you aren't hitting it. An e-cig is binary, it's on when you hit it, at a fixed level determined by the voltage and resistance, regardless of how hard you draw, and off when you don't.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
One of the major advantages of vaping is that it isn't consuming product when you aren't hitting it. A tobacco cigarette is "on," consuming product at an infinitely variable level (how hard you hit it), from the time you light it until you put it out, even when you aren't hitting it. An e-cig is binary, it's on when you hit it, at a fixed level determined by the voltage and resistance, regardless of how hard you draw, and off when you don't.

First, a cigarette can not operate at 'an infinitely variable level'. It has to maintain combustion and it also has a maximum rate of production.

Second, my mechanical mod is not binary. It produces the amount of vapor that the analogue battery that is powering it puts out at a given state of charge.

:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread