The end of microcoils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orion7319

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
A t.m.c. (tensioned micro coil) presents the tightest contact possible for electrical pulsed oxidation of KA1 wire coils. With closest turn-to-turn proximity it is then feasible to obtain the most consistent oxidation possible. Enough to support high power output without shorting. When wound in a uniform state of tension end-to-end so as not to introduce skew or other strain imbalance it will evidence no hot spots whatsoever and will respond to pulsing quickly to an insulated state for low power. Continued ascending low voltage pulsing will materially enhance insulation discernably adding to the practical power handling capacity of the wind. A deep uniformity of insulation is entirely possible as evidenced by this photograph…

full

In a sense the very geometry of a t.m.c. serves as an important indicator of distorting strain in our winds and their set (termination).

I can think of no better baseline or metric than to teach new vapers how to perfect the balancing of strain in our coils to ensure consistent performance and temperature. We effectively mitigate thermal variation in our winds and we can more practically estimate mean temperature operating conditions. As well enjoy the benefits to our vape of a stable complete circuit.

Good luck all!

:)

Putting tension on the coils really does work quite well. I read some of your posts a while back and decided to give it a go. I use 29 and 30 guage Kanthal and I don't have to torch them to hold shape. I know for a while folks are using that modified wire thingamajig to wrap them, but I tend to use stuff I have on hand when I can, so as not to make my wife angry from spending so much money.... I took your pen vice idea and applied it to what I had laying around in my garage, an old exacts knife and a 5/64 jewelers screwdriver. Works pretty well for me... Thanks for that BTW :)

IMG_0213.JPG - Google Drive

edit

Edit: I see my 29 guage is annealed...

Last edited:
Reactions: MacTechVpr

orion7319

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Same boat. 3 years, 1st vape - no smoking. First couple weeks were.... transitional. Mostly because of poor equipment but it didn't take me long to find good advice here and find a more satisfying setup.

I've tried hard to convert friends and loved ones, with mixed success. Glad I've tried, those closest to me have mostly made the switch.

That nicotine is "the most addictive substance known to man" is a fallacy. CIGARETTES, with their myriad of 4000 chemicals are. Nicotine itself is, by the research I've read, "mildly addictive". Mom died of (well, with) Parkinsons. Wish I had known that nicotine could help. God knows, the cocktails they had her on took their toll over the years. Maybe some 24mg would have eased her suffering, prolonged her happiness and lessened her burdens. I'll never know. I have no plans to quit nicotine. I'm at 6mg now, and will move to 0mg in time for Cotinine tests require by health care, but then back to 6. Let's not forget Big Insurance in the role of trying to put the kaibosh on vaping. They're right there with BT and BP.

I'm really sorry to hear about your Mom. You can't know what would have helped or not though. My grandmother has Alzheimer's and has smoked like a chimney most of her life. In fact over 25 years ago, the doctors diagnosed her with COPD and told her she only had around 6 months or so. Her response at the time to the doctor was "Bull .... I don't have that!" And that was that as far as she was concerned. Smoking didn't help with her Alzheimer's though.. She's still alive but nobody's home anymore, haven't been for years now...

Reactions: LouisLeBeau

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Dual 26/34 gauge Claptons - dry burned, doused in water and lightly dry burned, wicked with JOC, soaked with unflavored PG/VG, a single vape, then painted with naturally-extracted-tobacco.com Flue-Cured Virginia, ready to go. This is where I joined this thread. Forty two pages later, nothing's changed.

Vape safe, peeps.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
My own "take away" from my technical history with titanium alloy development and evaluation, and my interpretation of the data referenced above is slightly different.

I have no argument at all with the data referenced BUT my conclusion is that while extended thermal exposure at temperatures of 1200 and above is not harmful it is not helpful as far as titanium (metal or oxide) in the air stream.

What I mean is if you want to dry burn to get rid of "gunk" on coils or to compress and shape them...then fine. Do it for a short time at as low temperature as practical and nothing bad will happen but....there is no necessity to dry burn titanium to build up a thicker oxide film because there is nothing dangerous about titanium with shiny surfaces....Such shiny coils still have sufficient oxide to protect the metal underneath from corrosion (and to keep the titanium metal underneath the oxide). Titanium alloys are used in compressor disks and blades in gas turbine engines at temperatures up to 1200F for thousands of hours and they do not have their surfaces pretreated in any way to protect them from corrosion etc. Titanium is quite good enough for us just as it is without heat treatment to make the oxide thicker. If one wants to heat treat (dry burn) for coil shaping or cleaning then fine. Nothing bad happens. Do not worry. Enjoy your titanium coils if that''s the material you choose to use. If you are a fashion addict and prefer gold or blue coils rather than silvery ones no problem. Heat treat away...if you like purple instead...then fine heat threat a little more. I don't recommend going as far as white coils that look like they have a painted surface....that's when the oxide begins to come loose.

Silvery coils do fine for me. I love the flavor/stability and temperature limiting they allow with the right mod, and I generally use spaced coils because I like the flavor and slower gunk build up they seem to allow so I don't have to do a hot squeeze on them.

Duane

Broad agreement here. Thermal oxidation of titanium forms a continuous protective oxide layer at very thin film thicknesses - easily less than one micrometer. Given what we currently know about corrosion due to e-liquids at low temperatures (400F is low for oxidation-resistant high temperature metal alloys), there's no good reason to expect these films to degrade due to e-liquid corrosion. Personally, I doubt that any oxide film you could form on a titanium wire with a REASONABLE dry burn (dull red) would be prone to spallation during vaping. The referenced paper shows the incredible tenacity of a film formed at 1200F - WAY higher than anyone needs to go for dry burning. The important takeaway is that there is a very wide margin here - dry burning does not appear likely to form an oxide prone to spallation. The relatively low thermal expansion coefficient of titanium generates only modest stresses in the oxide on cooling from a heating cycle, which greatly enhances its reisistance to spallation. I don't personally vape with titanium coils, although I am seriously considering it. Nothing I've found causes me any serious concern.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
I have to disagree with the idea that nicotine is not addictive. I think at this point it is well accepted in the medical community that nicotine "lights up" specific nicotine receptors in the brain and that it also "lights up" reward pathways that are really hard to extinguish. Because of the way brain chemistry self-regulates, using nicotine changes brain chemistry and it takes a good while for it to adjust to cessation of nicotine use. Nicotine, from a neurological standpoint, can be more addictive than *******. There are other really biologically active alkaloids in tobacco that are also addictive, but nicotine is the big one. BT did enhance the natural nicotine content of tobacco (along with the other addictive alkaloids) but it's the nicotine they were after to feed addiction.

Luckily, and I think this is where some confusion may stem from in the public, nicotine is not particularly harmful in small quantities. Nicotine does produce an insulin response and long term nicotine use is linked to type II diabetes. Most sweets have a similar effect so unless the govt plans to ban sweet foods and certain fruits, no show stopper here. Otoh, nicotine is being studied as a treatment to delay Parkinson's and other disease of the brain. It might actually be good for some of us. One issue hampering some of this research is the link in the public's mind between nicotine use and smoking tobacco. Two very different things but the media keeps demonizing nicotine.

Coffee is also an addictive alkaloid (most people get headaches if they stop drinking a regular dose of morning coffee). I'd bet if we smoked coffee instead of drank it, it would end up being a much stronger addiction than it is (the faster a delivery method gets to the brain, the more addictive the substance tends to be).

I have not done any studies on my own to reach the above conclusions but I've just read the results of studies I think are valid. Just throwing out a counterpoint.

Ah, addiction. What a fascinating subject. Which is more powerful: physical addiction or psychological addiction? I've walked away from nicotine three times in my life for more than 10 years each time. And for me it really wasn't very difficult - cold turkey each time. But each time, the memory of how nicotine made me feel has lured me back to sample its pleasures. Finally, with vaping, I believe I've found a way to make it a pleasurable part of my life without all the hideous side effects of every other means of ingestion.

I don't think I've ever given up caffeine for more than a couple of days.

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think what is really addictive is the combo in cigarettes. I've read about studies done on people who have never smoked administering large doses of nicotine daily for things like ADD and Alzheimer's and they didn't show signs of addiction or withdrawal. This study went on for a good time where they were receiving high dosages I believe intravenously.

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
I remember the first time I got that coil fart I dropped my mod, broke the glass in the atty and cursed 7 blue streaks. It still startles me to this day but I hold my mods tighter. [emoji38]

Duane
Is that something like, I used to miss my ex but my aim is getting better? Lol

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Ah, addiction. What a fascinating subject. Which is more powerful: physical addiction or psychological addiction? I've walked away from nicotine three times in my life for more than 10 years each time. And for me it really wasn't very difficult - cold turkey each time. But each time, the memory of how nicotine made me feel has lured me back to sample its pleasures. Finally, with vaping, I believe I've found a way to make it a pleasurable part of my life without all the hideous side effects of every other means of ingestion.

I don't think I've ever given up caffeine for more than a couple of days.

I must be one of the ones who gets addicted to nicotine. Withdrawal has noticeable effects separate from psycological. I can be very focused on some aspect of work and likely wouldn't notice if the roof blew off, but I do know when I'm jonesing for the nicotine.

Edit: another thought -- if nicotine was not addictive and we Vapers were thus not addicted to nicotine, why do we bother with nicotine in eJuice? Just the hand to mouth and "smoke" exhaled would satisfy the psychological addiction without the need for any nicotine. I guess I'm not buying nicotine addiction as just a myth.

Last edited:

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
No description on the first, here is another one- ka1 & n80

1ee53bda8898a74a3a3a36b7f4c58b08.jpg

Screenshot to get description since not my build

Sick coils. In any case, if the oxide film shows these brilliant rainbow colors, the thickness is less than one micrometer. Thicker thermal oxide scales all just look gray, with varying degrees of roughness.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Big Pharma pretty much does whatever it likes.

When patents expire, drugs get marketed as generic clones. Profits of the original maker plummet. Best to have them approved for over the counter and market a high profile brand, advertise the crap out of it, dominate the market for a few years, and milk that succulent stream of cash for a few more years. Hopefully, you already have a "new & improved" replacement ready to go for your pushers to start pedaling to the sheep-like general practitioners of the world so the cycle can continue.

Reactions: Rossum

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
If nicotine is so addictive, why don't the gum or patches have a better track record? Why are they sold over the counter? Surely, if nicotine was so addictive, wouldn't it be harder to get?

Toasty,

I won't even mention the "Nicotine Inhalers" you can buy. I believe they are Rx but all the same if an Rx Nicotine Inhaler doesn't get you hooked and I have never heard of anyone hooked on them how bad can pure nicotine be.

It is akin to the Aspirin that you get from Willow Bark (I know that is a brand name but bear with me) it will bring down fevers but it does absolutely nothing for pain. The Pharmaceutical folks mix in some alkaloid with the stuff (it by itself does nothing) and presto you have store bought Aspirin that is a "Fever reducer and Pain Killer". I always knew the Alchemists had a good thing going they should have never given up. :)

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
When patents expire, drugs get marketed as generic clones. Profits of the original maker plummet. Best to have them approved for over the counter and market a high profile brand, advertise the crap out of it, dominate the market for a few years, and milk that succulent stream of cash for a few more years. Hopefully, you already have a "new & improved" replacement ready to go for your pushers to start pedaling to the sheep-like general practitioners of the world so the cycle can continue.

Magaro,
I just wish I had a machine that could spit out a million pills a day that sell for $4 USD each with an intrinsic value of 0.01 cents. Now that is what I call a markup.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Thank you for that Dr. Ruckle. I think you can begin to understand why I took such offense to assaults on his character. He truly is a very special person in SO many ways. I could tell you literally scores of amazing stories of things he has done for the people in his community of friends and admirers. And he is as gentle as he is kind and intelligent. Probably THE most "stand up" guy I have ever known. I'm proud to be amongst his many friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread