The end of the Provari??? 95% WA state tax!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Well it looks like the Dems are in charge of the current administration and I have not noticed any of my taxes/expenses going down... in fact they are increasing more than I can keep up. Wonder why?
For the same reason your taxes went up when the Republicans were in charge. Politics and greed.
This has nothing to do with political parties. And every time you point a finger at someone else, four of them are pointing back at you!
Get as active as you can, or suffer worse to come.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
And every time you point a finger at someone else, four of them are pointing back at you!
And? If I point my finger at Timothy McVeigh and say you are responsible for the OKC Bombing, just because I have 4 fingers "pointing back" at me neither implicates me in the bombing nor does it reduce the fact that he is indeed responsible.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
In other activism I've worked in, I've found it's extremely hard to get a legislator in another state to listen. I've literally had politicians tell me, "Well, you aren't in my state, and I am not concerned about your opinion." This had to do with an issue of national relevance but since it was occurring in that state, only people in that state were considered at all.

I'm certainly not saying don't try, just be prepared for it, and maybe think of a way to make people from outside the state relevant. I'm wondering if we could make an appeal on behalf of those businesses that we use online in this case - because their online sales will also be taxed. I'm also thinking, sometimes an orchestrated campaign on social media can work. We once had about 500 activists telling Las Vegas on their FB page that we would not visit their city. Believe it or not, it got their attention and the attention of some legislators.

Help with the "Daily Action Plan" right here and on Facebook. Use Twitter. They don't know where its coming from then. That's what I do and I send the Action Plan to, by the end, literally hundreds of people off group via emails and twitter... each of us should form a network like that IMHO.

Bgren99

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
MA
They don't want you to stop smoking cigarettes, they make donations to dead end anti smoking campaigns as a good look. All the anti smoking campaigns just tell you what we already know, and use the most severe circumstances as a scare tactic. It's never worked and never will...but vaping takes money away from government and puts it in the hands of working class Americans who can supply a product growing in demand. vaping is the only potential threat to stopping smoking on a wide scale that government doesn't have a hand in, and surely enough they're working on a way to kill it.

Mutescream

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Florida, USA
Wonder why they stopped at 95% and not just hit the full 100%? Either way it's completely ludicrous to tax anything at that rate.
Are regular smokes taxed at that rate in WA?

You might be surprised. It all depends on where you live. When I lived in MA, cigs there were taxed about 200% (some of that is fees/taxes computed into what you thought was the base price). In some places, it costs more to buy a pack of cigs than it did to buy a whole carton when I had started smoking.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
They don't want you to stop smoking cigarettes, they make donations to dead end anti smoking campaigns as a good look. All the anti smoking campaigns just tell you what we already know, and use the most severe circumstances as a scare tactic. It's never worked and never will...but vaping takes money away from government and puts it in the hands of working class Americans who can supply a product growing in demand. Vaping is the only potential threat to stopping smoking on a wide scale that government doesn't have a hand in, and surely enough they're working on a way to kill it.

It's all laid out here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-vapers-getting-bad-name-48.html#post12310545

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
They don't want you to stop smoking cigarettes, they make donations to dead end anti smoking campaigns as a good look. All the anti smoking campaigns just tell you what we already know, and use the most severe circumstances as a scare tactic. It's never worked and never will...but vaping takes money away from government and puts it in the hands of working class Americans who can supply a product growing in demand. Vaping is the only potential threat to stopping smoking on a wide scale that government doesn't have a hand in, and surely enough they're working on a way to kill it.

Quoted For Truth.

HawaiiVPR

Moved On
Oct 19, 2013
808 State
I stopped reading here. Anyone that has to resort to basturdizing party names doesn't deserve to be heard. That goes for both sides.

If that offends you, then why bother quoting it again to be read? In any event duly noted.

As for the topic at hand, the unfortunate reality is that vapers are a small minority of the voting majority, hence, why its more important to make it known that our non smoker/non vaping friends are also in support of keeping bureaucrats out of this industry.

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
Vaping is the only potential threat to stopping smoking on a wide scale that government doesn't have a hand in, and surely enough they're working on a way to kill it.

They don't want to kill it..

They want to villify it & then tax the poop out of it

That's been their plan the whole way...

By the time they get around to succeeding, I'll either be vaping zero-nic or no longer vaping at all..

They've gotten enough of my money via taxes over the years...

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Have any of you noticed it's usually the left wing nut jobs driving this NONSENSE????? Washington, California, New York, just saying.......

Here's a novel idea, VOTE next time based on the guys beliefs and convictions rather than what party he is from. I have an uncle from massachusetts that would vote for ant eater if he was wearing a suit and was a dem.:?: This is why our country is in the shape it's in.

Not true
    The "nut job" here in Utah is most defenetly RIGHT WING

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Defeat-Paul-Ray-Political-Action-Page/363186063796455

lordmage

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 15, 2008
    Dundalk,Maryland, USA
    there are a couple things that are not mentioned in most of the 95% stste tax law talk.

in most cases the tax is either 95% to 75% and will be removed if the FDA judges them to be Nicotine replacement therapies.

they say countless times that no long term acceptable studies are willing to be done by the new industry when i know for a fact cassa has had several done. what they are after is a long term greater than 5 year study done using double blind methodically. just my two cents

fight the laws and fight for NRT judgement

Last edited:

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 7, 2012
    United States
    The government is going to tax the crap outta of anything that gives Americans any sort of pleasure...But you can work all you want..for years I worked 2 jobs my second job was for buying groceries and gas! What are they going to do if people do decide to quit vaping and not go back to smoking? Where are they going to get their money then. I never intend to ever go back to smoking. If I find I can't afford vaping I will just quit vaping.

Mind you I DON"T want to quit vaping but apparently I don't have enough sense to know what I like. Im only 41 you know!

Coldrake

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 5, 2013
    The beautiful Puget Sound
    there are a couple things that are not mentioned in most of the 95% stste tax law talk.

in most cases the tax is either 95% to 75% and will be removed if the FDA judges them to be Nicotine replacement therapies.

fight the laws and fight for NRT judgement
    You don't want NRT judgement, unless you want to have to get a prescription from your Doctor for it.

"Excludes electronic cigarettes that are prescribed by a licensed physician and purchased at a pharmacy
    from the definition of "tobacco product" at such time the United State food and drug administration
    approves electronic cigarettes for tobacco cessation and other therapeutic or medical purposes. Identifies
    the other tobacco products tax rate on electronic cigarettes is seventy-five percent of the taxable sales price."

Also from the bill;

tobacco product" means:

(i) Any product containing, made, or derived from tobacco or
    nicotine that is intended for human consumption, whether chewed,
    smoked, absorbed, dissolved, inhaled, snorted, sniffed, or ingested by
    any other means
    ; and

(ii) Any electronic device that can be used to deliver nicotine or
    other substances to the person inhaling from the device, including,
    but not limited to, an electronic cigarette
    , cigar, pipe, or
    hookah.

(b) Notwithstanding any provisions of (a)(i) and (ii) of this
    subsection to the contrary, "tobacco product" includes any
    component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product whether or not
    it is sold separately.

It covers everything.

Here is a list of those who voted for and against it.

Majority Report: The substitute bill be substituted therefor and the substitute bill do pass
    Signed by Representatives Carlyle,
    Chair; Tharinger,
    Vice Chair; Fitzgibbon,
    Hansen,
    Lytton,
    Pollet, and
    Springer.

Minority Report: Do not pass
    Signed by Representatives Nealey,
    Ranking Minority Member; Orcutt,
    Assistant Ranking Minority Member;
    Condotta,
    Reykdal,
    Vick, and
    Wilcox.

Coelli

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Quit paying taxes period. Small businesses have the ability to do this just as individuals have the ability not to pay income tax.

Know what happens when you don't pay your taxes? At minimum, your wages are garnished. At maximum, you go to jail. The law is very clear on that. It's a nice sentiment but it doesn't work.

Coelli

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's my theory - the right wing (and their associated media) aren't supporting e-cigs because they want us to be healthy and live long lives, they support them because big tobacco has jumped on board the e-cig bandwagon and that's where their money comes from.

The left is getting lobbied (and paid) by big pharma, who sees its profits sinking as people turn to e-cigs as an alternative - and one that works better than what they have to offer.

I suspect that rather than taxing and banning e-cigs, the right will try to regulate (despite their professed hatred of regulation) smaller companies out of business so big tobacco can monopolize the market. They'll be gearing up for that soon.

Just my theory. :)

peraspera

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 2, 2012
    midwest
    If someone from out of state orders from ProVape, they most likely would not be subject to the tax.

Unless something in the bill changed in committee online sales would be prohibited. Also, the tax is on inventory, not on retail sales. Vendors would also have to pay the 75% tax on all their current inventory. This bill is so onerous that ecig vendors would be forced to either shut down or move to another state. Big tobacco will make out like bandits. They would be able to force their dealers to carry their junk ecigs or face being cut off from their cigarette supply. Big pharma also will do well as no tax on prescription ecigs opens the door very wide for them to offer e-cigs that are as overpriced as their other nicotine replacement products.

I heard that the bill passed already. I believe It passed with a 75% tax....not much better than 95%. I also believe anyone ordering online is subject to this tax. MBV the cheapest e-juice available will instantly become the most expensive. I can't imagine any WA state vendors can survive this tax hike. What worries me the most is how long till other states follow in their foot steps. This is just terrible....our government just sucks.

Yup, it passed, from what little reading I've done it appears to be a 75% tax on "e cigarettes".

E-Cigarette Tax Hike in Washington State Moves Forward | NACS Online

This is getting scary folks, just a matter of time before more and more states jump on this bandwagon.

So far, the bill has only passed the House Finance Committee. It needs to pass the full House and Senate as well as being signed by the governor to become law. However, politicians know that passing this type of legislation means nice fat campaign donations from big pharma and big tobacco so it is very important that vapers weigh in on this issue.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2012
    Waikiki Hawaii
    Absolutely - sodas first. For example, I understand that the Danes whose main export is bacon and cheese have internally sin taxed ……. bacon and cheese.

It will be more than sodas. Thats the danger of letting government control our healthcare and one of the biggest reasons Im against the ACA.

Next it's going to be testing people for body mass index (hospitals ae already doing it to their employees)

After that were going to be told what we can and cant eat (thats being tried in our schools right now) ....all for our own good and lower insurance premiums.........of course.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread