Status
Not open for further replies.

renilyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
I am the same way.I won't order a 4oz. until i know it's a flavor i like and will use enough of to make it worthwhile.I just very recently started getting a few,sweet cream,vanilla swirl,and the sweet orange,i have a list of the others i will be getting the large sizes of,a few a week.The orange was the only one i didn't get a sample size of first,only because nobody has it in smaller sizes,so that one was a shot in the dark,going off of others reccomendations in this thread,so i'm really happy that it is good,i hate to waste money if it's no good,so that one worked out good for me haha.
As for the chocolate,i am the same way,i can't stand an artificial chocolate taste,so i never bothered to order any of them.Then Bill posted all those candy bar recipes,and i figured i would give those flavors a shot,got them in sample sizes,so i only paid $3 for the 2 together,figured no big loss if i didn't like them.I did not try the chocolates on their own so i cant say what they taste like alone,but in the almond joy and peanut butter cup,they are great.Both the double dark and the milk chocolate,are both on my list to get in 4oz. now.

Readeuler,since you mentioned s'mores,here is a recipe i found a while back that sounds like it should be a good one,i haven't tried it yet,but plan to.

s'mores

Double Chocolate - 10%
Marshmallow - 10%
Graham Cracker - 5%

Well, they're in my cart now! lol I want SOOOOOOOOOOO much to have a sweet chocolate w/coconut. One issue, I have neither flavor LOL

renilyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Thank you for pointing that out! It looks like I may have bought the Butter that was called for. Here's the Butter I ordered, from Wizard Labs:
Butter (Movie Theater) Flavor (08ml TFA)

They have it marked as a (Movie Theater) variety, but maybe this name is caused by TFA's description, "This is a liquid butter flavor similar to movie popcorn butter. "

As far as the substitutions I made, I assumed above that I had used the wrong butter, but now this is looking less like the case. My other substitution was, instead of 0.5% cinnamon, I used 1% Cinnamon Danish, as I didn't have any Cinnamon. So I used more than called for, of a different flavor.

The end result wasn't bad, but the apple was very hard to detect. Maybe that's by design, I'm not sure :) Coming from making only fruit mixes though, I was just expecting a bit more apple, and I assumed I'd buried it somehow with my particular mix. As it ages, it is getting better for me. I'll probably try again without the Cinnamon Danish, and see what happens.

Being that TFA only shows one butter I believe it's safe to say they are the same. :D
Some have posted that the Apple really pops in this recipe. I'm at a loss of words because the Apple is a pretty weak flavor for the most part and I don't really detect it either. IMO I don't see the 1% Cinnamon Danish noticeably altering the recipe but curious of your findings. If you do get a Cinnamon I recommend starting @ .25% or less as .5% in my findings dominates the recipe.

I think you're right, I just had a major facepalm moment when I realized that TFA sells "Butter" and my label didn't match. I'm less worried now!

I also found Apple to be a little weak in general, it was one of the few new flavors I tasted by itself. Even at 15%, it was a real tease. I also received a little vial of Green Apple that I have yet to try. It smells a bit more candy-like, but I'm wondering what would happen using 8% Apple and 4% Green Apple, instead of 12% Apple.

I have no idea how Green Apple would interact with Apple, but I can't help but wonder if it would make it a little more pronounced. I would be afraid it might take things in the candy direction, or overpower the standard Apple. These are musings for another day though, as I've made about 60ml of juice this morning (4 different recipes), and should probably slow down a bit :)

I'm experiencing juice Nirvana. Never have I had more that 50ml on hand, and when I did, it was going to have to last several weeks!

I'm behind by two pages, so this may have already been said.... but I want to chime in on the Apple discussion.

Apple in normal baking application is typically Granny Smith. For several reasons, but the A #1 reason is FLAVOR. There aren't many apples out there that keep their apple flavor when heat is applied, beside Granny Smith (Green Apples). Perhaps this is the case here as well. I keep loading Apple and Green Apple in and out of my cart-I cannot decide which to get-just for this reason. Knowing me, I'll obtain both. But still, I would say that for bakery vapes, Green Apple is going to hold up fairly well. Just my :2c: , I haven't worked with either....

*back to catching up*

renilyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Ok, officially caught up.

Just for Danish input (thank goodness I've another week, this weekend was impossible):

I put together a straight danish juice. No "extra" flavorings-just a base. It looks like this:

Belgian Waffle - 3%
Brown Sugar Extra - 2%
Butter - 1%
Sweet Cream - 2% (this seemed to bring everything together)
Sweetener - 3%
Vanilla Custard - 4%

I did not originally have the Sweet Cream, nor the Vanilla Custard in there. There needed to be something to round things out IMO, before, I added a filling. I'm blasted determined to make this base RIGHT before I add anything to it. It's steeping tonight, because the VC tasted like it needed a bit of a sit. I'm mixing this base at 50/50. Why? Beats me! I just like the BW flavor better that way. Just my taste buds I'm sure lol I did like 8 drops in the bridgeless atty and it "seemed" right beside the VC needing a wee break. So tomorrow morning, I will see. PLEASE-input is both wanted and needed ;)

I think I'm going to go watch movies on the inside of my eyelids for as long as I'm able, it's been a hellacious weekend. I'll check in! Happy creating!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:vapor:

E_Cig Vicious

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Gateway to the Midwest
I'm behind by two pages, so this may have already been said.... but I want to chime in on the Apple discussion.

Apple in normal baking application is typically Granny Smith. For several reasons, but the A #1 reason is FLAVOR. There aren't many apples out there that keep their apple flavor when heat is applied, beside Granny Smith (Green Apples). Perhaps this is the case here as well. I keep loading Apple and Green Apple in and out of my cart-I cannot decide which to get-just for this reason. Knowing me, I'll obtain both. But still, I would say that for bakery vapes, Green Apple is going to hold up fairly well. Just my :2c: , I haven't worked with either....

*back to catching up*

The other Apple flavorings from TFA are nasty on their own IMO. Unlike regular Apple they must need something mixed with them in order to work. I don't know exactly what but I'm guessing they are like the grapes in that regard. I do know 1% Granny Smith with regular Apple wakes it up. I tried the same thing with Green Apple by adding 1% with 15% Apple and it was already trying to overpower and get that funky taste. IMO if you were to order one Apple it should be plain "Apple". Just my :2c:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA

Just for Danish input (thank goodness I've another week, this weekend was impossible):

I put together a straight danish juice. No "extra" flavorings-just a base. It looks like this:

Belgian Waffle - 3%
Brown Sugar Extra - 2%
Butter - 1%
Sweetener - 3%
Vanilla Custard - 4%

I did not originally have the Sweet Cream, nor the Vanilla Custard in there. There needed to be something to round things out IMO, before, I added a filling. I'm blasted determined to make this base RIGHT before I add anything to it. It's steeping tonight, because the VC tasted like it needed a bit of a sit. I'm mixing this base at 50/50. Why? Beats me! I just like the BW flavor better that way. Just my taste buds I'm sure lol I did like 8 drops in the bridgeless atty and it "seemed" right beside the VC needing a wee break. So tomorrow morning, I will see. PLEASE-input is both wanted and needed ;)

I think I'm going to go watch movies on the inside of my eyelids for as long as I'm able, it's been a hellacious weekend. I'll check in! Happy creating!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds amazing! Please let us know how this turns out! :toast:

jimstratus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Calhoun,GA,USA
This may be the wrong group to ask this with all the sweet tooths present :D I'm mixing Western and AP5% not bad but kinda sweet like a sweet cigar. Is there another flavor or other ingredient that would tone down the sweetness? Kind of like raspberry in small amount will tone down chemical taste of grape.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com

Belgian Waffle - 3%
Brown Sugar Extra - 2%
Butter - 1%
Sweetener - 3%
Vanilla Custard - 4%

Can't wait to see how turns out, looks good, please report back, might mix this too-have all the flavorings, thanks for sharing

Mango custard-good! Papaya custard-not so good, maybe mixed too high % papaya or it might just not be a fruit to mix with custard, might do better in fruit only mixes-not sure still learning and need to play around with more, banana nut bread/fr. van-not too bad, needs some minor tweaking for my tastes

Now even my duds were actually more tolerable than some bought juice I've had, and I feel I learn from them, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Yes at times as a new mixer, I feel frustration, but live and learn, try again, and in my case, again and again

tdtyler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
Omaha, NE

Belgian Waffle - 3%
Brown Sugar Extra - 2%
Butter - 1%
Sweetener - 3%
Vanilla Custard - 4%

Oh boy!!! This looks so good. I think between you and baseball mom we're going to have a knock out base for whatever Danish flavor we want to make. This is so exciting. I have all these flavors so I may try it. Just so darn busy keeping the wolves away from the door. Know what I mean?

This may be the wrong group to ask this with all the sweet tooths present :D I'm mixing Western and AP5% not bad but kinda sweet like a sweet cigar. Is there another flavor or other ingredient that would tone down the sweetness? Kind of like raspberry in small amount will tone down chemical taste of grape.

Well, if you're using AP at 5% you're not even tasting the Western. So, try your Western at 5% and AP at .5%. If you're not looking for fruit but something to make it a little different but still in the tobacco line, add .4% of M-Type Premium. This will add something very interesting to your mix. Trust me - even though our "profiles" in taste may be radically different the Acetyl Perezine and M-Type Premium are atomic flavors in strength.

Let us know how this turns out for you, please?

Tim

tdtyler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
Omaha, NE
Just a quick note here to affirm that everyone has a unique taste pallette/profile. The TFA Apple Pie flavor tastes like coconut to me. Nothing else, just straight coconut. The TFA Caramel Candy tasted like something I used to smell when we had babies in the house and they were being changed. (Hope that's not too graphic.) I've added the Caramel Candy to RY4 Double and let it settle for 48 hours. TOTALLY different flavor now and I can actually taste it in my juice. TFA Apple Pie is mentioned in a number of recent recipes so my next experiment will be to incorporate it with TFA Apple and see what happens to my perception.

I've been tremendously encouraged by the principles and the applications put out in this thread. Gratitude goes to Bill - but also to everyone else posting.

Tim

Edit:
My recipe using RY4 Double left me with permanent vaper-tongue for that flavor. No matter how much I put in a mix, I couldn't taste it. Hence the experiment using TFA Caramel Candy. It worked.

Last edited:

jimstratus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Calhoun,GA,USA
Oh boy!!! This looks so good. I think between you and baseball mom we're going to have a knock out base for whatever Danish flavor we want to make. This is so exciting. I have all these flavors so I may try it. Just so darn busy keeping the wolves away from the door. Know what I mean?

Well, if you're using AP at 5% you're not even tasting the Western. So, try your Western at 5% and AP at .5%. If you're not looking for fruit but something to make it a little different but still in the tobacco line, add .4% of M-Type Premium. This will add something very interesting to your mix. Trust me - even though our "profiles" in taste may be radically different the Acetyl Perezine and M-Type Premium are atomic flavors in strength.

Let us know how this turns out for you, please?

Tim

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it and post back. Just to clarify the mix was a 100DT based on a recipe of Western at 15% AP5% at 1.5% so I went with 12 drops Western for 12% (since it is a tobacco and figured that 15% would be too much but wanting to start close to the original as a baseline) and 1 drop AP5% for 1% (since I have had past experiences over doing this one). Tasted good actually but the Western is a tad sweeter than I would like so thought I would ask the pros if there is a third flavor to counter balance the sweetness of the Western. Also since taste is subjective lets say on scale of 1-5 the "sweetness" to me being 5 I'd like to take it to a 2 maybe a 3.

tdtyler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
Omaha, NE
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it and post back. Just to clarify the mix was a 100DT based on a recipe of Western at 15% AP5% at 1.5% so I went with 12 drops Western for 12% (since it is a tobacco and figured that 15% would be too much but wanting to start close to the original as a baseline) and 1 drop AP5% for 1% (since I have had past experiences over doing this one). Tasted good actually but the Western is a tad sweeter than I would like so thought I would ask the pros if there is a third flavor to counter balance the sweetness of the Western. Also since taste is subjective lets say on scale of 1-5 the "sweetness" to me being 5 I'd like to take it to a 2 maybe a 3.

Well, I use the Western at 5% and it is sweet, but not a 5 on 1 to 5 scale. There is definitely zero sweetness in M-Type Premium. It might work for you. Glad to see we're on the same page with AP.

One more thing... The Western at 5%: I think the 0.5% AP with the Western counteracts some of the sweetness. That's my experience. Yours may differ.

Tim

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA

I agree with Tim. A drop or two of M type will take you back toward tobacco and away from sweetness. M is strong, and not that great a flavor on it's own, but very useful in tobacco mixes. I use it myself in Brandon's Choice. :D :toast: :vapor:

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
Ren, your Danish dough is good! It's really a smooth vape...I'm vaping it now...also did a mix with waffle/frosted donut, no sweetener,(the frosted donut is pretty sweet, I can add if needed) but yours is solid and balanced...one thing I think I learned is that this butter, a little goes a long way, but dang, this is quite tasty...after done this one, I will try the other, but you should be proud of this!!! I wonder how it'll be with adding the toppings/fruit filling? Fixed up my raspberry cupcake base...3% sweet raspberry, 3% raspberry, 6% van. cupcake, needs more work, but better than initial version..making progress, also mixed up some more recipes with papaya at lower %'s...ran out of bavarian cream, getting low on vg too :(

HSOTO

Jul 14, 2013
Edinburg, TX, USA
I'm not into DIY much, but do like to make a few simple things to mostly mix with other things.

I'm wanting to make a 10ml bottle with TPA Sweet Cream flavour - nothing else, just Sweet Cream to add to other things such as plain fruits to make them creamy.
I have the VG base with 0.6mg nicotine that I like, so just need to know the best percentage to add to 10ml - I like a positive flavour, but all I can find as guidance is 1-10%.
Does anyone have anything a little more specific please?
Im sorry pictor in order to make my fruit flavors creamy i use marshmallow at 6%

jimstratus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Calhoun,GA,USA
Well, I use the Western at 5% and it is sweet, but not a 5 on 1 to 5 scale. There is definitely zero sweetness in M-Type Premium. It might work for you. Glad to see we're on the same page with AP.

One more thing... The Western at 5%: I think the 0.5% AP with the Western counteracts some of the sweetness. That's my experience. Yours may differ.

Tim

Thanks for your input and I will definetly try your suggestions tonight... the scale was just my over thinking backwards way of saying I'd like to shoot for about half the sweetness I'm tasting not that it's like a tobacco donut or anything :D

I agree with Tim. A drop or two of M type will take you back toward tobacco and away from sweetness. M is strong, and not that great a flavor on it's own, but very useful in tobacco mixes. I use it myself in Brandon's Choice. :D :toast: :vapor:
I've also had a bad experience with M I'd just as soon forget and will use it lightly... Your council is always appreciated and I have your Brandon's Choice recipe saved in ejuicemeup calculator waiting for the missing flavors to arrive. Can't wait to vape it in honour of you and your son :beer:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Thanks for your input and I will definetly try your suggestions tonight... the scale was just my over thinking backwards way of saying I'd like to shoot for about half the sweetness I'm tasting not that it's like a tobacco donut or anything :D

I've also had a bad experience with M I'd just as soon forget and will use it lightly... Your council is always appreciated and I have your Brandon's Choice recipe saved in ejuicemeup calculator waiting for the missing flavors to arrive. Can't wait to vape it in honour of you and your son :beer:

Know just what you mean about the M type flavoring. A useful additive, terrible on it's own. You might be quite surprised to know that M type is used in many "exotic" eJuices sold by many online vendors, and while it is used as a supporting flavoring, it is quite hard to miss, once you've tried it in DIY. Over time, though, one can acquire a taste for it in small doses of "exotic" mixes, and there's nothing else quite like it. The overall answer to your question about moving away from the sweetness is actually a good one. Saline also comes to mind. Nothing like a little salt to kill sweet, and a little goes a long way. That'll fix you right up without changing the flavoring, as well. Good luck with your project! :toast:

:2cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread