The Front Porch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Put Mama to bed, now I'm sippin' on a Chang beer & catching up on the web stuff. :toast: After that is't Heroes Season 3 :) - can't watch season 1 or 2 because they're from the US and those discs won't run on my DVD player - the region is lock to SoEast Asia. :( I'll have to buy another player to replace the one that died and keep it locked to Region 1 (USA). My copy of House Seasons 1-3 is like that also. The things we expats have to do to keep up on all the latest shows or in this case the old shows caught on disk. :facepalm:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I can remember sitting on the front porch with a small transistor AM Radio, listening to the Orioles play baseball. Brooks, Boog, Frank, the Blade, McNally, Cuellar, Palmer, Weaver.....
Now we sit in front of a Big Screen with surround sound to watch the Ravens play.

I guess it's called "progress"....

Reactions: Chakris

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
I'm bummed... :(

The bread I took so long to make yesterday turned out to be too salty and inedible. Four loaves!!! It did have some value as fish fodder though - I took it to the local canal. The fish didn't complain at all. I must have doubled up on the salt after one of several interruptions in the process. (But I'll not tell her that...) o_O

It'll be a few days before I can start over - need to shop for some flour and wait for Mama to ease up on the sarcasm a bit. :facepalm:

Somewhat enjoying a dinner of frankforters without the buns... :glare:

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I'm bummed... :(

The bread I took so long to make yesterday turned out to be too salty and inedible. Four loaves!!! It did have some value as fish fodder though - I took it to the local canal. The fish didn't complain at all. I must have doubled up on the salt after one of several interruptions in the process. (But I'll not tell her that...) o_O

It'll be a few days before I can start over - need to shop for some flour and wait for Mama to ease up on the sarcasm a bit. :facepalm:

Somewhat enjoying a dinner of frankforters without the buns... :glare:
Live and learn.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Found an old time truck stop that I have actually been to years ago.
It's not one of those ultra modern huge places. You could probably squeeze 30 or maybe close to 40 rigs in here. Three fuel islands.
But there is still a real restaurant here. They seem to be hanging on, the salad bar is a distant memory that is pushed against the back wall, and the décor is very 60'ish.
But between a handful of truckers and maybe a dozen senior citizens they can still be busy for the afternoon hours. 24 hours, so breakfast at 1:00 am shouldn't be a problem.
There just aren't many of these old places left. The 200 parking space, McDonald's or Subway until midnight modern places don't leave much room for just a good old-fashioned truck stop anymore.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Night night Army... Time for bed.

Goodnight to you too.

I'm sad you know, because you were always kind to me and I will miss you. But I am happy for you too because you will finally get some rest, well deserved. I know you were tired.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Stopped by just to see if this old thread was still active....
And saw Chak's posts. The Army will continue on, but he will be missed.
Indeed. I think of Chak often. Sometimes I think I did not show him my appreciation for him as much as I should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread