Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
Welp. I got the day off, the kayfun lite plus v2 came in the mail. I was getting ready to wrap a coil and wick this bad boy when I realized. I don’t have a clue what I’m doing!

Was thinking 26ga Kanthal, 8 wraps, 1.0 ohm.

Its for my wife, and she runs the Kanger tanks @ 10-15 watts with the 1.2 ohm vert coils I build in the throw away dual coil heads.
If you all have any ideas on a better scheme using 26 or 28ga kanthal wire let me know. I’m trying to get her to fall in love with something thats more fun to rebuild, lol. Meanwhile I’m going to do some reading on the subject!

P.S. she's in it for the flavor.

I use 32ga kanthal 1.5mm microcoil @ 2.5ohms (about 8 wraps), wicked with sterile cotton from walmart/cvs. I, being a confirmed tootle puffer, vape at 7 watts. Results are good flavor and vapor. I find (probably just me) that larger gauge wire requires greater warmup and cool down times for my taste. YRMV

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Got continuity? I was just looking at this new Kayfun wondering what all protects that center post from shorting besides the flat insulator that I can see. Tested the continuity just for giggles, it works!
I think you do have to make sure it does not twist around and the shoulders touch the outer pin/base.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
Just lost my second i30. On a Provari, rolled off the desk... dead. No clue why. Tore it down, cleaned, replaced coil. Dead. Really bizarre. :(

Do you mean an iclear 30? Not sure what an i30 is.
Check that the provari works with another tank.

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Smokane, WA
I use 32ga kanthal 1.5mm microcoil @ 2.5ohms (about 8 wraps), wicked with sterile cotton from walmart/cvs. I, being a confirmed tootle puffer, vape at 7 watts. Results are good flavor and vapor. I find (probably just me) that larger gauge wire requires greater warmup and cool down times for my taste. YRMV

Unfortunately I have 26 and 28 GA, and my next order may very well be Titanium wire once I see that there is a good reliable Mod with TC.
I think you do have to make sure it does not twist around and the shoulders touch the outer pin/base.
Ah, thanks thats good info!

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Do you mean an iclear 30? Not sure what an i30 is.
Check that the provari works with another tank.
Yeah, iclear 30 tank. Provari is fine. Tank won't work on anything. Just dead.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
So far, I've actually had better luck with Kayfuns than I did starting out with carto-tanks. Of course, it didn't help that my first carto-tank came with a pre-punched carto with 3 holes. Yes, 3 holes! And, I use 80 to 85% PG!

However . . . . .

I put a coil on a Kayfun base that I bought from FT. It apparently wasn't making a connection. So, I put in another one. Then I put it away to think about later. Then today I put a coil in a Kayfun that I had just been using, and it wasn't making a connection. I had thought the FT one might me faulty or something. But, this one I know works. I look under a magnifying glass and swear the wires are solidly under the screws and the coil is up off the deck.

I can always take it out and start again. But, I would really like to know what I'm overlooking.

Dancing ... are you saying it doesn't work when attached to the PV? If so could it not be making a good connection at the 510? Do you have an DVM to test it? Set the DVM to ohms and check across both screws holding the coil. Then check for the 510 end of the atty to the negative coil screw. What readings do you get?

Welp. I got the day off, the Kayfun lite plus v2 came in the mail. I was getting ready to wrap a coil and wick this bad boy when I realized. I don’t have a clue what I’m doing!

Was thinking 26ga Kanthal, 8 wraps, 1.0 ohm.

Its for my wife, and she runs the Kanger tanks @ 10-15 watts with the 1.2 ohm vert coils I build in the throw away dual coil heads.
If you all have any ideas on a better scheme using 26 or 28ga kanthal wire let me know. I’m trying to get her to fall in love with something thats more fun to rebuild, lol. Meanwhile I’m going to do some reading on the subject!

P.S. she's in it for the flavor.

When I coil/wick for Janet's KFL's I do, 28g Kantahl, 8x wraps, 2.5mm manderel and it comes out to 1.5Ω. If you go w/ 26g Kanthal and 8 wraps that's a lot of wire to heat up. I used to used 30g Kanthal for 1.5Ωs on her builds but I prefer the 28g, its stiffer, when it comes to re-wicking. She does notice the extra ramp up time of the 28g vs: 30g but it's not enough to be an issue for her.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Yeah, iclear 30 tank. Provari is fine. Tank won't work on anything. Just dead.
Is that the one with hangy down wicks? If so one of the wires from the top to the base god knocked loose inside. Not sure if you can fix that or not.

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Is that the one with hangy down wicks? If so one of the wires from the top to the base god knocked loose inside. Not sure if you can fix that or not.
Wires from top to base? Changed the coil but dunno about any other wires.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Dancing ... are you saying it doesn't work when attached to the PV? If so could it not be making a good connection at the 510? Do you have an DVM to test it? Set the DVM to ohms and check across both screws holding the coil. Then check for the 510 end of the atty to the negative coil screw. What readings do you get?
I do have an ohm meter (or whatever it's called) from Mad Vapes. It was just showing 3 dashes as if there was no coil there at all.

In the HO, it was suggested that the 510 post may have gotten pushed in. Tried screwing it out a bit and voila! All fixed.

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I don't know weather to laugh or cry at this Korean invention... Sometimes innovators can do more harm than good for an industry.

LOL what wimpy vapor. No Klowds with that one.
What a rube goldberg thing.
do you use a temp control lighter with it?

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Smokane, WA
BTW DancingHeretik beat my question by 19 mins, must not be using the back space button 2-3 times per word like I do! Unfair I tell yah!
Sorry for the confusion. :)https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/members/dancingheretik.57827/

When I coil/wick for Janet's KFL's I do, 28g Kantahl, 8x wraps, 2.5mm manderel and it comes out to 1.5Ω. If you go w/ 26g Kanthal and 8 wraps that's a lot of wire to heat up. I used to used 30g Kanthal for 1.5Ωs on her builds but I prefer the 28g, its stiffer, when it comes to re-wicking. She does notice the extra ramp up time of the 28g vs: 30g but it's not enough to be an issue for her.

Awesome, thats just what I needed to know! Im to much of a clutz to be trusted with anything thinner than 28ga!
I wrapped a 28ga, 2.5mm diam coil 6.5 wraps, ended up with 1.2ohm (by the istick 30).
Wicked it up just like I would the Sub tank mini, and flooded the crap outta everything, lol.
Pulled the barrel, trimmed the wicks so they just touch the bottom of the wells and viola, this thing rocks!

Now I will wrap a coil as you described using the 28ga wire, thank you so much!

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
DH...

images

flowers.gif
Dancing, Happy Birthday! :D

original.jpg

I think I'm gonna hide under the porch, if that's Ok.
Fleas or no fleas, it's cozy under the porch. Just let Burt know you're crawling under here beforehand.

bear.jpg

Really, really glad rip is continuing to improve. He's discovered wet food? No going back now. We compromised with El Whacko. He gets 2/3 dry and 1/3 wet with a little water to help "coat" the dry with the wet when it's mixed up.
Just lost my second i30. On a Provari, rolled off the desk... dead. No clue why. Tore it down, cleaned, replaced coil. Dead. Really bizarre. :(
:cry: I'm sorry. My gear hasn't been working as well this trip as it usually does so can relate better to the frustration right now. Hope you get it fixed.
:lol: Love it! Will probably steal it.:sneaky:
I don't know weather to laugh or cry at this Korean invention... Sometimes innovators can do more harm than good for an industry.

:blink: Yeah, that looks so much easier than pushing a button.

My father insisted on driving us to the store today. It's the first time I've ever really stealth vaped. All the way to the store in the back seat and all the way home. I didn't bring strong enough nic for such an adventure. Foresee months to recover from this ordeal. :cry:

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
TC update:
The SS 304 coil I made yesterday is fantastic on my Presa TC40W mod, at 200 degrees F in titanium mode. It's still good if I move it to 210 degrees but tastes burnt at 220. I haven't been able to make it work as well on my Cloupor GT mod. The Cloupor has separately adjustable power and temperature settings but no titanium settings. The Presa has adjustable temperature settings and separate settings for nickel and titanium but does not have adjustable power in TC mode.

A lot of virgin territory in the world of TC. I'm diggin' it.

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Smokane, WA

Makes me think about cigarettes, lol.
There was a gal asking about vaping with flame not to long ago in the new member forum, have to see if I can find her OP.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Good question. And, would it destroy the power grid completely so that we could no longer charge our batteries anyway?

Is there even really such a thing as an EMP? Or, does it exist only in The Matrix?

I have no idea. But, it's still funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread