Status
Not open for further replies.

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
Found that the flavors greatly improve in the ST's once the OCC's are recoiled and wicked to 2mm. The right DT is an improvement as well. Also, throttling the wide open port down to your preferred draw works the best for MTL hitting me thinks...

Last edited:

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
Megan, for me ACB, Strawnilla and Atlanta were awesome in the SubTank with the 1.2 ohm coil. The .5 was waaaaaayyy too hot for me so I rebuilt it to 1.2.

Good call Lynn. The .5's work best with the air intake wide open. The lower the ohms and the higher the wattage,the more air is needed to keep things cool...;)

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
Made peace with the mini subtank. Gave up on the OCC premade coils and went to the build it yourself deck. NOW I get it. The flavor is off the charts and with the watts dialed down as low as my istick will let me the vapor is rich and decadent though still hotter than I would like. I guess I need to rebuild the stock coils now. I rebuilt this with a 29 gauge micro coil and have the air barely open. YUM!!!

Anyone have a favorite OCC coil rebuild video they like? Am very relieved to find the magic I've heard so many enjoy! After this tank of GCD I'm going to try Stranilla!

ETA: And feel free to convo me the links so no rules are broken. ;)

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
NC
Megan, when I started rebuilding mine I just used the pictures that John had posted in here. Other than the fact that you're working inside the head(and I put up a picture to help with that) it's much like building a coil for anything else. Wicking is more the issue here. I think SD looked at one RipTripper posted on YouTube.

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
NC
If you don't take the top of its mainly just taking the pin and the insulator out. I haven't had any to rebuild since I posted the picture with the top off so I don't know how hard it is. What I did was built the coil on a 16 gauge needle, took it off and dropped it in the head and eyeballed where the holes were. Once the coil was lined up with the holes, I put the needle back through the coil to hold it while I built the bottom. Once the bottom(insulator plug and pin) was done I removed the needle then wicked it. The only tedious part was getting the coil lined up with the holes to reinsert the needle. Once you get the coil rebuilt then it's just dry burn and rewick.

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
The Official Nicoticket " Get the most from your juice thread." | Page 84 | E-Cigarette Forum

Here you go Megan...Post #'s 1667 and 1668. No real need to pull the top caps on the OCC barrels but it can be done with two pairs of pliers and a bit of strength.

I agree the stock OCC's are a bit lacking in flavor at first. They do however come into there own after a tank or two and are quite hard to kill even with the gunkier liquids. With your experience of the PT coils, you'll be rocking the builds in no time. In fact, I would venture to say that the ST's may become your atty of choice to replace your beloved PT's...;)

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
No moss growing under Lynn's toes. On it as usual!...:laugh:

Note, the quick way to align the coil if needed is to give the pin and insulator a twist however, with properly trimmed toothpick dowels inserted into the coil and juice ports before you set the insulator and pin, there is often no need ...;)

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
I watched a vid and rebuilt the coil, no problem. Though Lynn, in the video he said not to dry burn as it could scorch the insulator...I like the self build deck the best however. It's tasty and not burning my lips or making me cough but my PT's are still better so far. We'll see where it lands with use. :)

Reactions: glowplug

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
NC
Megan, have you ever known me to do things like I'm supposed to do? Lol :p

I don't see that these insulators are any different than any other insulators and I dry burn those...;)

And, for what it's worth, I like my GS-M tanks over ANY of the others I've tried! Including the ST's. :)

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
NC
Hi friends! I'm in the process of trying to purchase a eVic-VT kit. It's temperature controlled which is something I've wanted to try for months. I have questions....it comes with an atty that uses coil heads that are nickel or titanium, what other attys can I use with it? Where do I find nickel or titanium wire and is it in gauges just like Kanthal? I'm sure as it gets closer to the actual purchase I'll have more questions but right now, these are on the top of my head. Thanks!!

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
NC
I'd go with the " tempered" ni200 from Lightning vapes myself...;) But, if you want to go with "annealed" then Temco is the place.

Using mostly 28g for my builds.
Can you anneal nickel by burning it like you do with Kanthal? And is it handled(building the coils themselves) the same way?

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
I don't know Lynn as I never torch my wire anymore but I'm pretty sure you could. I wouldn't do it myself. The tempered ni200 wraps stiffer like Kanthal while the annealed is of course much softer. As far as the wrapping goes, yes just like Kanthal for the wrapping itself but the ohmage is different to the number of wraps. With ni200 in temperature control you want to start off at 0.11 to 0.13 ohms and 370 to 410 degrees. (Just to give you an idea, a 0.11 ohm 28g 2mm ni200 single coil comes out to a 10/11 wrap) Steam Engine is your friend...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread