The Official Nicoticket " Get the most from your juice thread."

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatDoesThisButtonDo

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Westchester, NY
Man I'm glad someone brought up the IGO-W and trouble getting good flavor. For all the hype of the superiority of an RDA, I sure was having trouble flavor chasing. I'd also tried dual 1.5 ohms on 30 ga, dual microcoils, and then finally settled on a single standard 8 wrap. (Approx 2 ohms)

Regarding rebuilding the dual coil Kanger heads: the legs going up to the coils seem to be thicker than the coils themselves - with less resistance. I don't find them hard to rebuild - wrap two coils (your top coil should be 1-2 wraps less than the bottom coil since the longer legs will increase resistance), then thread paper clips (break off the paper clip into legs) through the coils and lower the coils through the head. Once that's done I hold the paper clips ends with one hand and use the other to push the grommet back in. (I have to get pictures of this.)

But even with that rebuild, it doesn't give the same quality vape that the stock heads would - flavor and vapor decrease. Maybe because the legs share the resistance?

Last edited:

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
I rebuild the Kanger coils to 1.5 ohms both for the single and dual coil units using Koh Gen Do or Cellucotton. In each and every case, the flavor and vapor production smoke any thing that I have ever gotten from a stock coil single or dual. As mentioned before, I don't really use the PT's anymore but I still service my fleet of 20 Pt's and mini Pt's that I rotate out for a friend.

WhatDoesThisButtonDo

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Westchester, NY
That approach takes all the fun out of it for me, though. Winding an oval-shaped single coil for the PT3/Aerotank heads is tricky for me - tried it once and it gurgled/leaked. I'd stick with T3 single coil heads for that.

I wound up finding this:

Taste Your Juice | REBUILDING
(scroll down to dual coils and non-resistance wire)

But fusing non-resistance and resistance wire together just for a rebuild seems a bit impractical for most.

motabrownie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2014
Lawrence, KS
Oval coils? I have never built an oval coil! I just simply go for a larger diameter coil and or adjust the length on legs of the coil accordingly. A larger diameter coil = more wick. More wick=more juice. More juice= more vapor!

Ive seen those oval coils before somewhere. Never tried one though. Looks like theyd be perfect for KGD

techtimb

May 30, 2014
Middleburg, FL, USA
Oval coils? I have never built an oval coil! I just simply go for a larger diameter coil and or adjust the length on legs of the coil accordingly. A larger diameter coil = more wick. More wick=more juice. More juice= more vapor!

I saw a YouTube video on oval coils. The guy wrapped his coil around a tie wrap!
That gave it the oval shape.

Tim

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
So I've got a DNA30- a magma, a TOBH, and an IGO-W....For this not to get too confusing, Im gonna just stick to the IGO-w with this question... What ohm build would work best for this? I have drilled the airholes out to 5/64", and I'm having trouble getting this RDA to hit good. I've tried 30awg dual 2mm coils (1.2ohm), 28awg dual 2mm coils(1.0ohm and 2.0ohm), and tried raising them/centering them to get off the deck and close to the airholes, but it just doesn't seem to be cooking juice like it should!! Very poor vapor production/ flavor. I've tried organic cotton and rayon, and the rayon has been easier/working better... I used a wider bore drip tip and that helped a little bit, yet flavor was lacking.

The Dna30 (cloupor) Im using, does fire below 4V's, but it isn't regulated when doing so. Technically, I guess a 2.3ohm coil would be the most efficient, in terms of a regulated power range, for this device, but thats gonna be a crazy amount of wraps with 28awg or 30awg!!
The 2ohm coil created a lot more heat, and I ended up giving up on that build pretty early...

Any suggestions on how to get the most out of this IGO-w? Im probably just gonna do a 28 awg, 3mm, dual coil, shooting for about a .5ohm build. edit: maybe I should just shoot for 1.5ohm....

My Tobh loves the dual 0.7ohm 2mm rayon build, with 28awg. :)

:?:

I have my Igo-W drilled out to (2) 1'8" intake holes - I generally build at 5 wraps of 26gu, dual coils, regular micro-coil nothing too complicated or unusual. Comes in at .15ohms or so ;)

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
I printed that out to help me. If it was just 1 coil it would be cake but the botton coil is hard to get the wick thru and I can't get my wick thru it with it sitting low in the "cup". Did that make any sense:blink:

When I used to build the duals,this is what I did:

Wrap each coil a different direction with the legs twice the length of the metal "cup". That puts the legs out of different sides, so with two you end up with a leg at each of the "4 corners" if that makes sense.
Lower the first coil but not all the way down
Put the flavor wick on top of the lower coil
Put the second coil on top
Bring the legs of the first coil up and wrap them around the drill bit of the second coil. This keeps them all nicely together.
Take one leg of the coil that is on the drill bit and bring it up to wrap around the drill bit also.
Take the drill bit out of the bottom coil and wick it.
Lower them down with the drill bit in the top coil.
Take one of the "bottom coil" legs off the drill bit
Slide one leg from each coil through the rubber plug and put the rubber cup in the end of the metal cup. This leaves one leg of each coil under it, and one leg through it.
Adjust the height or position of the coils by either grasping each end of the wick in the bottom coil or moving the drill bit.
Arrange all 4 legs so you have one at each "corner"
Put the metal tip inside the rubber cup.
Take the drill bit out of the top coil and insert wick
Snip legs and complete assembly of the unit

By wrapping the two coils opposite directions, you will have your legs on opposite sides. One coil will have the left leg in "front" and the other will be "in back". This will help you keep the legs separate so you can avoid shorts. I wish I still had one to show you, but if you wrap the coils and place them one above the other, it will make more sense.

You can get the same performance with a single, larger coil (I used to wrap on 1/8 drill bit for a single) and is much easier to deal with.

I get my Kanthal from TemCo (made iin America and already annealed). You can order from them either directly or through Amazon. Search for Temco Kanthal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread