The Overlooked Tootle Puffer Gear Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbes4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2009
Could you explain how these work? I've been vaping for a year and I have no clue how that works? It's got a window and 2ml capacity but it's a dripper or rda? Is it just a ln rda that allows you to see the coil and wick? Where does the "2ml" come into play?

Originally it comes with a one-piece steel tank. The window is an option and it just allows you to see how much juice is left. Instead of having a deep well, the posts and airflow are raised high above the deck so you can drip a lot of liquid in, or as much as 2ml with out it leaking when laying down.

SUPER K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2015
Originally it comes with a one-piece steel tank. The window is an option and it just allows you to see how much juice is left. Instead of having a deep well, the posts and airflow are raised high above the deck so you can drip a lot of liquid in, or as much as 2ml with out it leaking when laying down.
Got it, thanks!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I think the smallest hole will be restrictive enough for you but even if it's not you could block off a part of the hole by simply rotating the afc ring a bit.

That's what I tried with the Veritas, earlier... even with the barest sliver of the airhole showing, still can't MtL it. But I like the looks of that Origen v2 a lot; I think I'll keep it on the "list" (the "when I get a round tuit" list). ;)

Andria

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Dont forget the spheroid, I have seen them as low as $65 in the VA clearance several times a year. As close to leakproof as it can get.

spheroid_2small.jpg
images.jpg

hobbes4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2009
That's what I tried with the Veritas, earlier... even with the barest sliver of the airhole showing, still can't MtL it. But I like the looks of that Origen v2 a lot; I think I'll keep it on the "list" (the "when I get a round tuit" list). ;)

Andria

I have the Veritas too. Everyone says the flavor is so great on it but i never got along with it. To be fair it's not really designed as a tootle puffer dripper so maybe just not for me. The origen though is great and under $10.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I have the Veritas too. Everyone says the flavor is so great on it but i never got along with it. To be fair it's not really designed as a tootle puffer dripper so maybe just not for me. The origen though is great and under $10.

Yeah it was a case of misinformation, when I asked someone if the airflow could be closed enough for MtL vaping -- I was told "Sure!" Just like the Derringer. :facepalm: Also decidedly NOT a tootle puffing RDA.

Andria

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
There's been a huge discussion about defining a tootle puffer, which I didn't read. I think vaping under 25 watts is pretty much TPuffing these days. I'd like to see two post, single air supply versions of the Tugboat and Derringer. I tape one of the air supplies shut on those to help restrict the air flow and so they won't leak laying on their sides.

I tried to make the Achilles work for me, no luck. I'm playing with the Igo W without success yet. I keep going back to the Tugboat and Derringer clones and wishing they had 2 posts and one air supply. May be the temp control market will inspire some new rda's.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
There's been a huge discussion about defining a tootle puffer, which I didn't read. I think vaping under 25 watts is pretty much TPuffing these days. I'd like to see two post, single air supply versions of the Tugboat and Derringer. I tape one of the air supplies shut on those to help restrict the air flow and so they won't leak laying on their sides.

I tried to make the Achilles work for me, no luck. I'm playing with the Igo W without success yet. I keep going back to the Tugboat and Derringer clones and wishing they had 2 posts and one air supply. May be the temp control market will inspire some new rda's.

In what way did the Achilles not work for you? To me it's the quintessential tootle puffer atty, along with cartos/cartotanks. That tight draw is excellent! And there's so little air to dilute the flavor!

Andria

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Yeah, an exact tootle puffer definition probably doesn't exist :). I guess I was thinking if it can be used mouth to lung, that was my primary criteria. I just know I've answered a lot of threads lately asking for recommendations or from those who felt there was nothing for them out there. And I have a lot of attys I felt qualified, but perhaps aren't well known? I'm always coming across attys I didn't know about. And I tend to add the budget priced ones to my collection if they bring something unique to the table. The high end ones are added more slowly :)

PocketGroove

Apr 10, 2012
Naples, Italy
I've always dripped at less than 15 watts. That's all there was when I started dripping.;)

This was as good as it gets back then.
P1000581.jpg

THIS!! An HH357 on a provari...I was the envy of the dripping world. Which is only like three other people, since everyone seemed to prefer leaky cartotanks. haha

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I tend to "tootle" when I am sitting. My breathing is relaxed and I don't need a whole lot for enjoyment, whether that be flavor or some vapor to exhale at the cat. He likes it. When I am on the sofa he comes running. Its tootle time.

When I am "on the move" I like it harder and fast. I guess it is in the fact that I want a bigger nic hit.

The big difference is the power involved. Tootling is low watts, under 20 and "on the move" is 35-40 watts.

Just me.

Oh, know one has mentioned the Rose. Jeez, that thing is tighter than a...

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I did mention the Rose :). At first I didn't because I thought it was pretty well known, but then I realized maybe it isn't. There are attys with a tighter draw than the Rose I think. The KFL and Ataman2.

I also neglected Vapourart (GP) and GG as I figured they've been around a long time and have their own areas on the forum, but they also make a lot of very nice tootle gear.

And maybe I should add the eXpromizer. Its a wonderful vape and easy to build and fill. And perhaps not as well known outside of Europe.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
In what way did the Achilles not work for you? To me it's the quintessential tootle puffer atty, along with cartos/cartotanks. That tight draw is excellent! And there's so little air to dilute the flavor!

Andria
I have the same issue regardless of whether I'm using kanthal, nickel or Ti. The first few puffs are fine. The issue arises when the tank is warm. The description I would use is too wet. Here is my theory about why. There is a lot of surface area inside the tank because it is tall and there is still more surface area under the top cap because of the protruding chimney. Liquid condenses on those surfaces, especially on the bottom of the top cap. When you take a hit some of that wet condensed vapor combines with the vapor coming straight off the coil to create a different vapor quality than I get from my Tugboats, Derringer, etc. The achilles is made of titanium and may be that material is a more efficient condenser than stainless steel. The Achilles has the posts I want to build on and it doesn't leak but that doesn't overcome the vapor quality issue. May be there should be a stainless version and more thickness in the top cap to reduce the surface area inside the tank.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I have the same issue regardless of whether I'm using kanthal, nickel or Ti. The first few puffs are fine. The issue arises when the tank is warm. The description I would use is too wet. Here is my theory about why. There is a lot of surface area inside the tank because it is tall and there is still more surface area under the top cap because of the protruding chimney. Liquid condenses on those surfaces, especially on the bottom of the top cap. When you take a hit some of that wet condensed vapor combines with the vapor coming straight off the coil to create a different vapor quality than I get from my Tugboats, Derringer, etc. The achilles is made of titanium and may be that material is a more efficient condenser than stainless steel. The Achilles has the posts I want to build on and it doesn't leak but that doesn't overcome the vapor quality issue. May be there should be a stainless version and more thickness in the top cap to reduce the surface area inside the tank.

I think it must just be the excellent "saturation" of the vape that you object to. Maybe a Kayfun with a plastic M-tank?

Andria

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I think it must just be the excellent "saturation" of the vape that you object to. Maybe a Kayfun with a plastic M-tank?

Andria
This is where the, as yet, unborn field of vapology would come in handy. There is no magic with vaping. The qualities could be quantified. There are reasons why different atomizers and buillds act differently. Then there is the human part where one thing appears better than another when it's really just what we're used to. If we knew more about the science and mechanics these discussions would be more interesting. I hated giving up on the Achilles. I'm thinking may be I can test my theory by filling or caping the bottom of the top cap to see if that changes things. I might try insulating the barrel so the inside walls get hotter and behave more like stainless. I didn't say it's a bad atomizer. I did say I prefer the vape quality of several other rda's I've got.

Another tootle worthy rda I mentioned earlier is the IGO W. I like that one because it's small, simple and cheap (I got 3 for $4 each). To make them work I have to tape off one air hole and slightly enlarge the other and then I didn't like the vaper I was getting with 1.5 ohm kanthal coils and the barrel was getting too hot. But yesterday, instead of kanthal I make a temp control 1 ohm titanium build and liking the vapor.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
This is where the, as yet, unborn field of vapology would come in handy. There is no magic with vaping. The qualities could be quantified. There are reasons why different atomizers and buillds act differently. Then there is the human part where one thing appears better than another when it's really just what we're used to. If we knew more about the science and mechanics these discussions would be more interesting. I hated giving up on the Achilles. I'm thinking may be I can test my theory by filling or caping the bottom of the top cap to see if that changes things. I might try insulating the barrel so the inside walls get hotter and behave more like stainless. I didn't say it's a bad atomizer. I did say I prefer the vape quality of several other rda's I've got.

Another tootle worthy rda I mentioned earlier is the IGO W. I like that one because it's small, simple and cheap (I got 3 for $4 each). To make them work I have to tape off one air hole and slightly enlarge the other and then I didn't like the vaper I was getting with 1.5 ohm kanthal coils and the barrel was getting too hot. But yesterday, instead of kanthal I make a temp control 1 ohm titanium build and liking the vapor.

Have you tried a Prometey, with fiberfill? I have one, but have only used it as a regular dripper, without the fiberfill. But that fiberfill might prevent that wetness you object to, possibly. It's got a very similar "feel" to an Achilles, very tight draw and dense flavor.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread