Status
Not open for further replies.

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
Regards,

Sure, I was dragged kicking and screaming into the feed game...

I didn't wish to enable sloth---then I tried it.

Now I'm totally hooked on the concept...

I made some changes, tried to address the weakest points...

The Phidias has an oversize, flush, exotic wood plunger that's fully supported through its entire travel--courtesy of being "let in" to both sides the Phidias' cover with center partition, no rattle, nothing to catch on your pocket, no egging out of the cover etc.

DSC06372.jpg

DSC06354.jpg

I so did not like the idea of brass and juice in contact of every feed, enough said.

The reason of course is the existing systems bottom feed and the juice just leaks out of the atty's air vents...and you need a bucket to catch it till you suck it up.

I'm not here to dis- but these are the things that held me back from following the herd.

Another issue is the long tube to the very bottom of the bottle to suck up the last 1/4 of the juice.

this is just silly

air is pulled back into this tube as you release pressure and you end up with a column of air in the long tube which just moves up and down and--nothing-happens...

you're dry humping

So, the Phidias feed system is employed upside down--the tube stops at the cap, the juice does not leak out of the air vents but feeds the wick...the air is still there when you release, but the tube is short enough that you can pump every last drop out of your bottle.

O' yeah, the feed tube is surgical stainless steel...

Anyway---here it is...

DSC06370.jpg

thanks for reading
Best Regards
fo

PS. another happy thing is that you can prime your atty before you screw it on by pushing the plunger and watching the drops of juice drip---a quick mental note of how long it takes to get three drops allows you to gage the time needed for any viscosity of juice--pretty nice. I settled on 18 gage stainless as it delivers four drops per extended press and that seems eliminate any chance of flooding...regards

FreeFlow

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
London, Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
I'm torn between this and another bottom feeder mod. This is so beautiful.. and I didn't even realize Phidias was referring to the divine equation until yesterday when I saw some video. The only thing holding me back is having to turn it upside down.. i guess that's not really a big deal.. i have to hold my ego upside down to drip so i don't know what my problem is.

Still considering.

piratecaptainbob

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
north carolina
these things look great fono, my first phidias is probably my favorite mod. im awaiting the quartersawn wendge in the mail now, i might get the maple/quartersawn also. any ideas on a replacement back that acts as a passthrough? although that would require some more holes cut and electrical connections. just a thought.

Last edited:

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
these things look great fono, my first phidias is probably my favorite mod. im awaiting the quartersawn wendge in the mail now, i might get the maple/quartersawn also. any ideas on a replacement back that acts as a passthrough? although that would require some more holes cut and electrical connections. just a thought.

Regards piratecaptinbob,

Thanks for the kind words, I to have a quarter-sawn Wenge with Purple Heart inlays as one of my personal favorites, nice choice!

I've concentrated exclusively on my wood work and recreation for the last thirty fives years and consequently have little experience with building electrical circuits.

You might be interested to know I'm sending off a Phidias to Nuck of Fist-pack fame for his talented assessment of the electrical possibilities with an eye to the future.

so yeah, maybe yes to all your questions, time will tell?

The PVs just get better and better, I'm so happy to be a part of it....

Best Regards
fo

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Are you guys saying that eliminating the tube inside the bottle will prevent the juice from leaking out of the atty vents? I've made a bottom feed-type mod that has this leakage problem when squeezing the bottle, and it would be a good thing if removing the pickup tube was the answer for this. What say youse guys?

Hi FlyerTom,

The trick is to match the size and length of your feed tube to the pressure your system produces to get the results you are looking for...

I settled on an 18 gage to the cap length only tube, after testing each option out there.

An extended (absent minded) press delivered just four full drops of juice...

And that seems to have really solved the "over-juiced" problem.

Hope that helps
Best Regards
fo

Last edited:

FlyerTom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nor'Eastern PA
Yo hey Drew & fo~
Thanks for the replies. I removed the tube inside the bottle of my homie-mod, and it definitely stopped the atomizer bleeding-when-squeezing. Turning the PV upside down will be have to be part of the process, I guess. I used Ø-1/16" tubing with an I.D. of .038" - a tad bigger (.005") than 18 gauge needles. I'll try the drop-drip test with the atty removed when I get home later today. Munchest grassiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread