Phidias Woodimus Feedimus: first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

phorbin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
Gamehendge
Well, its finally here. The Phidias has landed and i'm pretty stoked. When I decided I had to try a bottom feeder mod I did a little looking around and it was a toss-up between this and the Ali'i. Largely, it came down to this: I was actually able to order a Phidias, and i wasn't so lucky with the Ali'i. I still want one, but at least its less pressing of an issue now.

But anyway...the Phidias today, the Ali'i later!

First things first, its absolutely beautiful. I don't think the pictures on Nhaler.com quite do them justice. If you're familiar with their page I got #10, Wenge with purple heart inlays. (see this link: The Phidias Woodimus Feedimus ) The woodworking on this piece is exceptional! The Phidias comes with the box, one 3ml bottle with feeder system (it uses a blunt needle rather than a feed tube), connection for a 510 atty, and the pouch. And that is all. You'll need to buy batteries (also available at NHaler normally but sold out when I last checked) and a charger. I am using the XSL 18650 for 3.7v vaping but you can stack 2x3v batteries for 6v vaping if you choose.

Since I don't have any LR attys at the moment I am working with a LR 510 carto, which isn't making me very happy, but thats my fault, not the Phidias'. (sorry, not a carto person). It can be used with any number of other attys provided you have a thread adapter for it.

Predictably, I had a problem from the outset. Again, not Phidias' fault though. I pop on a brand new LR510 carto and of course, its a dud. Not flooded, just dead. Right outta the packaging. Good thing I bought more than one isn't it? So anyway I fire up carto #2 for the day and turn the mod over to hit the feed button and let gravity do its thing. Ok so NOW I managed to flood it. Work off some of the excess and start vaping and.....wow! thats pretty special right there! Huge cloud of vapor, nice warm throat hit. Ten minutes later, still huge clouds of vapor, no topping off required! JOY!

One thing I noticed (this is my first higher voltage unit so......) is that there was a dramatic change in the way the BWB cherry tobacco juice tasted compared to my eGo. I had read about how juices will taste different at different voltages, but this was the first I experienced it. Its not a bad thing, just something I was unprepared for. Some juices, it is said, will sorta die out on a higher voltage, and some will really stand out. So I was expecting a muted flavor....or to be blown away by it...one of the two. What I was NOT expecting was the flavor to totally change on me. If it weren't for the label on the juice bottle still saying the same thing it said yesterday, I woulda thought I grabbed my cherry flavor juice (from another vendor) instead of the cherry tobacco. Next up i fired up the BWB peach & waffle blend I made for myself out of Don's wonderful creations. Wow, now this one really popped. Didn't change so much as the cherry tobacco, but the peach flavor just jumped right out at me, with the subtle but unmistakable note of waffles with butter & syrup underneath it. Delightful. I think next up will be a test of FSUSA Wyatt Earp, i hear it does pretty well at higher voltages.

I think the only problem I will have with this unit is getting a feel for how long to hold the button when feeding the atty. I just flooded again while sitting here typing. Others who have reviewed this, many of whom are more experienced vapers than I am, have also had this problem but apparently a little practice and you'll get the feel for it in no time. So its not a problem, just a learning curve.

I will probably fire up a video review once i'm a little more comfortable with it, and also, once I get my LR510 attys in stock and my friend gives me back my drip tip. On second thought, keep the drip tip dude, I'll just buy another one thanks!

banjo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2010
Rio Oso, CA
Thanks for posting the review. I've tried a bunch of different attys with the Phidias, and I've found that the regular 510 atty works the best. The LR510 & LR306 attys burn much too hot in the Phidias, and tend to dry out much quicker while vaping. I use LR510 attys in all 4 of my REOs and they work great, but don't work in the Phidias.

phorbin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
Gamehendge
ask and u shall receive....sorry they aren't the best quality pics.

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-11-17 at 15.05.jpg
    Photo on 2010-11-17 at 15.05.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Photo on 2010-11-17 at 15.06.jpg
    Photo on 2010-11-17 at 15.06.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Photo on 2010-11-17 at 15.09.jpg
    Photo on 2010-11-17 at 15.09.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Photo on 2010-11-17 at 15.12.jpg
    Photo on 2010-11-17 at 15.12.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 234

phorbin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
Gamehendge
I guess I should update my signature banner....i think that "savings" number is a little off because of this purchase. But i'm a couple hours in now and all is right with the vaping world.

BTW thanks for the compliments on the review...I'm still pretty much a newb so doing a review for people who know what the hell they are actually doing is a bit intimidating. The video review will be doubly so.

phorbin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
Gamehendge
big hitter...one of the biggest advantages I see in the REO mods is that they are 100% mechanical, so unlike the Phidias or Ali'i, no wires to worry about. A pretty big advantage IMO. Not sure just how caustic e-juice can be but i figure over time its going to kill all those glue spots. I have experienced some minor leakage with the Phidias, but mostly it was part of that "learning curve" with the button on the back of the unit. I often just take the back cover off so i can feel the bottle when i press it. There is much to be said for the Ali'i and REO designs where you press the bottle, not a button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread