The ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinKun

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
There is very little info that I have been able to find about this thing but it appears to be, for lack of a better term, an "herbal PV" vs a "liquid PV." There are many other portable "herbal" PVs on the market but they are all quite large, expensive, and vape at too high of a temperature to use tobacco in them. Although some do have temperature control.

The Ploom appears to be designed for tobacco use and is more e-cig like in it's form factor. It seems to use little pods for of tobacco or herbs, no one knows if they are user refillable or not.

I am still pretty intrigued by it but would only be interested if you could fill your own pods.

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
It ain't about carts with this thing and other like it with their pods for herbal pills or herbs or whatever. These things are used to vaporize tobacco and tobacco like substances that we are not supposed to talk about on this forum. This is along the lines of the Digital Vaporizer or the Volcano Vaporizer, and a few others.

SheerLuckHolmes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Tempe, Az
It ain't about carts with this thing and other like it with their pods for herbal pills or herbs or whatever. These things are used to vaporize tobacco and tobacco like substances that we are not supposed to talk about on this forum. This is along the lines of the Digital Vaporizer or the Volcano Vaporizer, and a few others.

Why wouldn't we be supposed to talk about these things. I really don't think there is any reason not to discuss products which produce vapor.

youngunner

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Tampa FL
I havent read through the whole thread yet, but I got the e-mail too. Man that is one sexy e-cig (i think its an e-cig). It looks like it has an juice dispenser on it too. If it is in fact an e-cig I just might have to get one. I signed up for the beta tester deal so I'll have a chance when its released, but they have said nothing about the price yet- I have a feeling its going to be way over priced and its going to be a lipsticked up e-cig that has already been made (meaning using technology that is already out there) and they are going to want an astronomical price. It does look really nice though and if it does hold juice in the unit it might be a big hit- but I am afraid of how much they are going to sell for. I am going to have to read thru this enire post to see if there are any specs.

mikea

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
Seattle
It's hard to tell what's up with the Ploom (maybe if I read this entire thread, I'll know :). I signed up to be on their list. I also signed up for their Facebook page, which contains a lot of decidedly hip photography and plenty o' buzz but (unless I'm just missing something obvious) not much hard-and-fast information on the product yet. Their "pods" look small. So is this going to be another, so to speak, Epson situation? (Relatively inexpensive printers, and astronomically expensive ink cartridges?) The one vaporizer model shown on their web site is labeled as costing $35.00. The "pod" gizmos are shown at $5.99. Each? Per package of 'x' pods? I suspect 'each' is what they mean. No idea how many 'hits' each will last. They don't seem to say anything about that on the web site. Wonder if they'll reply to a question posted on their FB page...

ShinKun

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
where did you see these prices? I can't find anything like that... I can't imagine the pods lasting longer than one use. $5.99 better be for 20! and hopefully refillable! $35 for the main unit is cheaper than I thought...

The one vaporizer model shown on their web site is labeled as costing $35.00. The "pod" gizmos are shown at $5.99. Each? Per package of 'x' pods? I suspect 'each' is what they mean. No idea how many 'hits' each will last. They don't seem to say anything about that on the web site. Wonder if they'll reply to a question posted on their FB page...

mikea

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
Seattle
where did you see these prices? I can't find anything like that... I can't imagine the pods lasting longer than one use. $5.99 better be for 20! and hopefully refillable! $35 for the main unit is cheaper than I thought...
Well, this is odd...I went to ploom.com so that I could retrace my steps and answer your question...hmm, there doesn't seem to be a way to get into the main site from its portal page. Looks as if you have to go first to ploom.com/about.html -- interesting approach to the web design. Anyway, on the 'about.html' page I clicked the Products link and then the Model One link. The price for the vaporizer appeared there. Then I clicked the Pods link and the price appears in each item's description. I don't see any 'how many pods per package' info there but on their Facebook page there's an "arty" shot of one card's-worth of pods. If I'm understanding what I'm seeing it looks like 6 rows of 6 pods per card. So does that mean $5.99 for 36 pods? I can't tell for sure. (The "arty" wisecrack means that the photography is of the "plunger-cam" variety, in which portions of the image are thrown way out of focus deliberately. But it looks to me like six rows and six items per row.)

ShinKun

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
ha! I had never seen that part of the site before! Thanks for the tip!!

quick summary of the info..

It runs on butane and is a LIQUID based device using PG and VG in "pods". The Model One unit itself is "disposable" with a listed lifetime of "many months". A full tank of butane will last for 2 hours of continuous use.

Price for Model One $34.99
Price for 12 pods $5.99

Ploom: Technology

From the link...

"The Ploom Model One is a hand-held, low-temperature heating system designed to turn our tobacco and non-tobacco flavor blends into vapor. Vaporization is a process by which a substance is heated just enough to release its active ingredients as vapor that can be inhaled. This temperature is well below the temperature required to burn the substance, thereby keeping the chemistry of the vapor very simple. Vaporization effectively boils off the active ingredients of the tobacco and herbal blends into a vapor that can be inhaled and enjoyed for its desirable effects.

It converts the butane fuel to heat using its proprietary catalyst system. A full tank of butane lasts approximately two hours during continuous use. The Ploom model One uses a collection of patent pending designs and technologies to keep your pods at just the right temperature and provide many months of enjoyment.

Ploom Pods are single-serving tobacco and non-tobacco capsules used in the Ploom model One. They are filled with the highest quality ingredients including whole leaf tobacco, premium tea, botanicals, and gourmet flavors. Ploom Pods are made from anodized, food-grade aluminum and are sealed with a food safe film just like the ones used for TV Dinners and other oven-safe foods.

Ploom’s patented Pod system allows you to heat the tobacco and herbal blends to release their active ingredients in the form of a vapor. Once the Pod is spent, it is 100% recyclable.

In order to vaporize our flavor blends, we add glycerin and propylene glycol because they both turn to vapor at relatively low temperatures. They also create a thicker vapor that can deliver the active ingredients most efficiently."

Last edited:

mikea

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
Seattle
The Model One unit itself is "disposable" with a listed lifetime of a "many months".
I did a Google 'site search' for 'lifetime', 'limited', 'disposable', and 'months'. There were no hits. Where did you see a description that notes the thing having a limited lifetime? ...hmm. Other 'site searches' for certain common words aren't working on that site, either. Maybe the info is right in front of me and I just missed it.

One description of cleaning (ploom.com/faq.html) notes that sometimes a bit of tobacco might have to be cleaned out of mouthpiece. Hmm. So there is tobacco in some of those pods, I take it. This is apparently not a 'classic' e-liquid approach. Wonder how it works. The tobacco particles are somehow suspended in PG or VG?

Hmm. I got into this whole e-cig thing precisely cuz I wanted to quit King Tobacco. That aside the product is intriguing-sounding and it apparently won't cost a lot to get a first look at it.

Though I do like some tobacco e-liquid flavors big-time. There's this super-hard-edged, super-smoky French Pipe flavor (now discontinued) that just kicks .......how I wish I could find more of it but I've kind of given up...how th'heck did that manufacturer get that heavy smoke flavor in there....nobody else's e-liquid that I've ever tried has it. It'd be nice if they pulled off that kind of flavor in some of those Ploom 'pods'...

ShinKun

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
"Disposable" was my word but is was based on this line from the 2nd paragraph of the info I c&p'd above....

"The Ploom model One uses a collection of patent pending designs and technologies to keep your pods at just the right temperature and provide many months of enjoyment."

I wonder what they are talking about with the "tobacco" in the mouthpiece. The FAQ also says ...

"We advise not putting anything other than the Ploom pods in your Ploom as the device was not designed to handle any raw tobacco or other items. We can not stand by our product warranty if we find evidence of non-pod use with the device."

It looks like it heats the whole pod so there aren't any of the same issues of a regular atty so there could be actually plant material in the liquid. It looks like they are being careful to use different terms such as, tobacco, not e-liquid, even though it sounds like the same thing to me when it is in PG and VG. Also, they don't call the Model One an e-cig but a "hand-held device for warming our tobacco or herbal blended Pods."

And...Why butane I wonder? 2 hours max? That would last me all day but not the 4ml/day people. They would have to carry around a big can of butane instead of a tiny batt or 2.

I am actually down to 0ml/day so I don't know why I am still intrigued ;0

Last edited:

ops

May 15, 2009
  • ops
  • Deleted by AngusATAT
  • Reason: spam

IANAN

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2009
the web site will be going live on 11/9

sales will start about a week later... u will need to "be on the list" which is still open - go to ploom.com

ploom was designed to heat, not burn tobacco - it is more like a hookah than an e cig because it uses real tobacco - not nicotine

ploom is able to do this because it catalyzes butane as it's power source. e cigs can not use real tobacco due to lack of power.

that's all the info for now.. stay ploomed :1)

Oh no... You can vape Snus Juice in a E-Cig... Its' got enough power. There are several youtube vids of people doing it YouTube - How to Make Snus Juice for electronic cig

Alternatively you can soak a Snus package for 20 minutes in VG and vape it in a E-pipe or E-Cigar...

Video of this is here http://www.youtube.com/BigJimW10#p/u/7/kXfnZC9EEaY

and here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ZgjbOZ2us&feature=PlayList&p=A653400535EA9074&index=3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread