Status
Not open for further replies.

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
The Ploom is an interesting product, that's for sure, but it seems to be even more expensive than analogs. $35 for the unit is fine, but $6 for 12 pods when each one only lasts for 5-10 minutes makes it a very costly. If those pods are user-refillable, however, that changes everything!

Hey telsie...where are you seeing the 5-10 minutes? I can't find that info. Surely you 're not changing 'pods' that often? 8-o

OMG we might all become Pod People.

I'm on the list too...it says we'll be contacted before it goes on the market. Maybe we'll be beta testers? :cool: But then it spoils my hopes when it mentions pricing and availability.

It kind of reminds me of a digital thermometer. But in a sexy kind of way. :lol:

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
Hey telsie...where are you seeing the 5-10 minutes? I can't find that info. Surely you 're not changing 'pods' that often? 8-o

OMG we might all become Pod People.

I'm on the list too...it says we'll be contacted before it goes on the market. Maybe we'll be beta testers? :cool: But then it spoils my hopes when it mentions pricing and availability.

It kind of reminds me of a digital thermometer. But in a sexy kind of way. :lol:

It's the last question at the bottom of their FAQ page. I'm on the list and I may give it a try anyway out of curiosity, but I think this is meant to be a high-end product.

It really does look like a thermometer, doesn't it? :D

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time believing that many people in oh-so-cool San Francisco still actually smoke. Cigarettes. I mean really. I picture people deciding to do this because it's so cool, not because they want to quit smoking. Or maybe they will be mainly using it to vape chamomille tea or some such crispy foolishness. Who are these people, anyway?

But I admit I'm intrigued too. But not much by the pods, more by the device, and how we're going to figure out a way to mod it. [insert evil laugh here.]

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
The Ploom is an interesting product, that's for sure, but it seems to be even more expensive than analogs. $35 for the unit is fine, but $6 for 12 pods when each one only lasts for 5-10 minutes makes it a very costly. If those pods are user-refillable, however, that changes everything!

Welcome to what a "regulated" e-cig will more then likely be.

Sun

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
Welcome to what a "regulated" e-cig will more then likely be.

Sun

Sun, don't you think the people in this forum are too clever to not find a way to capitalize on this?

Does it seem odd to you that their November release date will coincide very closely with a ruling that seems so long overdue in SE/FDA?

mikea

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
Seattle
For whatever it's worth, this from Ploom on its FB page (responding to my request for more information):

the model One is not disposable. Ploom will be offering a 90 warranty to put this into perspective. ship date: very soon. good to know: we will only be shipping the people On the List for the first few weeks. The list is still open.

Just passing it along. (I have no connection to the company that makes Ploom.)

Good point made earlier in the thread -- someone wondering how many people actually still smoke in ever-so-hip-and-healthy San Francisco. I'd have thought that by now, any remaining smoker in S.F. would have been sent packing to a re-education camp in some undisclosed location. (Egad, imagine how much worse it must be in Berkeley or Santa Cruz. They probably just execute 'em on the streets. "Unhealthy creep! Poisoning The People! Hurting The Children with second-hand vapor! Waste him!" :)

lobro1

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Chicago
After reading thru this thread to me this Ploom thing sounds like a special
purpose (smaller and cheaper) Iolite- which is kind of like a hookah w/o charcoal.

Pods sound like shisha (just bought Nakla Peach 8.8 oz for $9) - I estimate you could get ~50 pods out of 8.8 oz. depending on how you pack it.

Shisha is quite delicious in the Iolite maybe a bit messy but Verry cheap!!!

(Search for iolite and shisha in Right to Vape forum for more info)

Iolite while initially more expensive (just paid $200 on amazon w/free shipping)

lets you use cheap consumable (shisha).

"Everything old is new again...."

IANAN

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2009
After reading thru this thread to me this Ploom thing sounds like a special
purpose (smaller and cheaper) Iolite- which is kind of like a hookah w/o charcoal.

Pods sound like shisha (just bought Nakla Peach 8.8 oz for $9) - I estimate you could get ~50 pods out of 8.8 oz. depending on how you pack it.

Shisha is quite delicious in the Iolite maybe a bit messy but Verry cheap!!!

(Search for iolite and shisha in Right to Vape forum for more info)

Iolite while initially more expensive (just paid $200 on amazon w/free shipping)

lets you use cheap consumable (shisha).

"Everything old is new again...."

Vaping tobacco (and other herbs) is not new-- it has been around since before the e-cig was thought of-- not to mention vaping aroma therapy (Especially of tobacco) has, for a very long time, been presented as a way to stop smoking.

Mini- less expensive vaporizers such as the Vapir Brand Oxygen Mini Vaporizer- they run about $99 -- have been on the market for some time.

ShinKun

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
"the model One is not disposable. Ploom will be offering a 90 warranty to put this into perspective. "

"...to keep your pods at just the right temperature and provide many months of enjoyment."

sounds like a limited lifetime to me. More like a standard batt vs a Protege or something?

There are many vaporizers on the market but most are quite large. The smallest "other kind of" PV I have seen is the Launch Box. It runs off a single AA battery, it is small enough to conceal in the palm of your hand and is quite efficient. I have been very satisfied with it. The Ploom, however, uses PG and VG to help create more vapor so it is more like an e-cig but with different terminology. I am guessing there is a reason for this verbal distinction.

mikea

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
Seattle
I got another response from Ploom on FaceBook. I'd misinterpreted what I saw in that one photo of theirs. There will be 12 of the pods per $6 'card'. I was going to quote it directly, but either the Ploom people removed the thread on their page, or else I've fallen afoul of Facebook's recent "improvements" -- I can't find the message thread now. (With improvements like that, who needs bugs? Send those developers back to user-interface school, Facebook...)

So the great unknown: how long will 12 pods, at $6, last? Will this end up being more expensive than smoking? I have no idea yet...

dubnluvn

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
San Diego, Ca
Hrm....this is pretty neat and may help our cause.

The FDA certainly would not ban those devices as they are merely handheld versions of products that have existed for many years AND proven to be a safer way to use tobacco.

That device is right between where we are at and analogs. Its not so difficult to make a distinction between analogs and vaping as we know it. But, if you introduce that device the line becomes very blurry. How could the FDA approve that device (if they were to embrace it as a viable tobacco product) and not ours when the main difference is that device uses tobacco and ours uses basically an extract in a safe base solution. Our devices are even safe for those around us, as all indications tell us. I think it would put the FDA in a bit of a predicament. I dunno...prolly shouldn't be posting at 2 am but it seems like there could be some benefit to this product going on the market.

ShinKun

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
I hear what you are saying dubnluvn. I have been thinking the same thing since I first saw this thing. Of course, back then I thought it did not use liquid. Now I see that it does. I also see they have not listed the NicotineMG and the liquid has tobacco plant material in it all very intriguing considering the possibility of a ban.

I have read quite a few threads about the ban and the terminology that is being used to describe e-cigs. I always thought e-cigs would be harder to ban if they DID have tobacco in them. VG and PG are listed ingredients of cigarettes and unfortunately for e-cigs nicotine is not. The nicotine in cigarettes comes from the tobacco. E-juice, on the other hand, uses pharmaceutical grade nicotine suspended in PG and/or VG. Some say it is extracted some say created in a lab, I am unsure and no expert but either way makes it sound more like a drug delivery device to me than a "tobacco vaping" device.

This Ploom thing rides a fine line.

My buddy is convinced that Ploom is BT. Or that BT is somehow involved. It's a question in their FAQ that isn't really answered. They say who they are but not who they are not.

I am not sure but $5.99 for 12 pods that last 5-10 minutes does sound like a familiar pricing structure though...

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico
Actually, they are not using e-liquid or something like that, by the info in their websites, looks like it is in fact tobacco mixed with PG and VG, they are not extracting nicotine from tobacco, also the device can use any kind of herbs, so no drug/device combo and the intended purpose could be just vaporize any kind of plant material, while the FDA said the e-cigs are only for one main purpose: Use liquid nicotine in them, so that makes e-cigs according to the FDA a drug/device combo.

Look at the possibilities of this device, maybe it is BT, maybe not, but at the end, you can get a small, reliable personal vaporizer that maybe with some modifications you can use with e-liquids and in an emergency you can use it with tobacco for $35, no batteries and no atomizers.

I know a lot of people want to stay away from tobacco, but tobacco is not the problem, the problem is the smoke, vaporizing tobacco is a very good way to reduce harm.

ShinKun

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
Actually, they are not using e-liquid or something like that, by the info in their websites, looks like it is in fact tobacco mixed with PG and VG, they are not extracting nicotine from tobacco, also the device can use any kind of herbs, so no drug/device combo and the intended purpose could be just vaporize any kind of plant material, while the FDA said the e-cigs are only for one main purpose: Use liquid nicotine in them, so that makes e-cigs according to the FDA a drug/device combo.

Glad to see I am not the only one seeing it this way.

In the FAQ it says it is not designed for using raw tobacco and evidence of doing so will void your warranty. So I guess when your warranty runs out in 3 months you can give it a shot;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread