The Really Big RY4 Roundup (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like myfreedomsmokes RY4. For me, I like the lighter colored, clearer liquids, since in my experience they don't burn out atty's quite as fast (I've been using the same 510 for months in my Silver Bullet). In this case, the flavor is sweet and light. Its pretty much all I vape, also because they sell bulk liquids. Then again, perhaps these other places do as well, I just haven't looked around much since finding this one 8 months ago or so. And I don't even mess around with other flavors. Like analogs, I am very loyal to one particular brand/ flavor.

Thanks for the lengthy review; now I've got some more varieties of RY4 to try out!

spike39

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2011
Colorado
VV,

It's not that Freedom Smoke USA makes or sells bad juice. They've steadily increased their line of juices vapes, adding new concoctions every month. In all varieties, they sell 300 juices now, which is amazing in itself. Their tobacco line alone offers 35 flavors, so it's a vaping version of Baskin-Robbins. The problem for me, especially with their tobacco juices, is that the signature base flavors they use for tobacco blends (I think I read that they use FlavourArt, but I may be wrong about that) have been eclipsed by many of the artisan juice makers now in the marketplace. In other words, their juice hasn't gotten worse; other vendors' juices have just gotten better, often spectacularly so. This is particularly true with the juice makers who are using macerated/extracted tobacco as flavor bases for their blends.

After spending a small fortune on vaping stuff---mods, atties, cartos, tanks, batteries, DIY supplies, and juices---over the initial eight months of my vaping life, I was moving into a comfort zone with liquids. Though I have a ridiculously huge stash of sweet/fruit/bakery/drink juices, I am primarily a tobacco guy, and I had pretty much settled on a small cadre of premium vendors for all my tobacco vapes: Backwoods Brew, Alien Visions, Vaperite, Vapor Station, and Want2Vape. These were my go-to sources for juice heaven.

But recently we've witnessed an explosion in the number of artisan juice makers. Newer vendors such as Prime Vaping, Vermillion River, Kick Bass Vapor, and Ozark Vapor are making juices that knock my socks off. I don't know where these folks learned their craft, since they apparently came out of nowhere, but I'm finding that I buy just as much juice now as I did during my earlier days of trying many vendors to find juices I really liked. Actually, I buy a lot more now. Today there are so many fabulous juices on my faves list that I keep 15 loaded PVs on my desk just to accommodate my daily vapes, not to mention those I sample more sporadically. I'm also getting the hang of DIY mixing, so fewer of my juices remain off-the-shelf products as I learn to combine flavors successfully. Juices such as bwb Malty Toffee and w2v Crème Brûlée are fantastic as mixers, to round out and improve even the best tobacco juices.

Civilization may be going to hell in a handbasket, but it's a wonderful time to be a vaper.

Agree again with you here on all the above..

.. and I should add that in my own personal experience, I've noticed inconsistencies in flavor from the FSUSA batches. I would find something that I kinda liked in a smaller bottle, and when I'd order a larger one it was completely different.. steeping time included. Very frustrating.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
OK, got my bottle of KickBassVapor RY4 last Friday and have sampled it repeatedly over this weekend. Rather than edit my original multi-review, I'll add the KBV RY4 review here:

Many vendors have a "signature flavor" that forms either the base for or an aura around all their juices. And that's to be expected. KickBassVapor, at least in my opinion, has a stronger signature flavor than any other (good) vendor I can think of. For all the KBV juices I've tried---six or seven in all, including Buttercream Frosting and Troll House Cookie, both which are absolutely fabulous dessert vapes---that's fine. The distinct KBV signature lifts and carries the individual flavors that define each juice. For an RY4, however, it's not fine. In fact, it's the kiss of death. RY4 is a sufficiently complex blend that it requires purity of flavors and background neutrality, or as close to neutral as possible.

KickBass RY4 tastes like they took a bunch of their other juices, poured a little of each into a bottle, shook it up, and slapped an RY4 label on it. Yes, I can taste the tobacco, caramel, and vanilla, but that signature KBV tonality overwhelms all three, and that's what I'm left with. KBV's signature carrier without anything wonderful on board.

Where would I rank this RY4 on my list? About 3/4 of way down, Right at #23---below Mist-Stix, but above VoidMist. Not dreadful, by any means, but then very few RY4s are truly dreadful. I'm afraid KBV RY4 is nothing special in my book, and a sad disappointment.

KickBassVapor started out with fruit and dessert vapes. That's how they gained their substantial following. Now they're branching out into tobacco vapes. So far, however, based on the two I've tried (Special K and RY4), they're missing the mark.

Thanks Bill for your review of RY4 from KBV. I have been waiting for someone I trust to give us their opinion. Saves me from 1 more order. . Lol

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Great review Bill, very detailed and unbiased. I'm wondering if you could tell me what voltage,ohm and type of atty or cartos you used to do these reviews.
D

Diablo,

While not observing scientific precision in these reviews---no double-blind tasting or anything "objective" like that---I have tried to give each juice a fair trial.

All of them have been tested first by dripping, using a Little Sister VV set at 4.2 volts, with four atties: LR510 and LR306, in both 1.5 ohm and 2.0 ohm resistances. Then, on top of that, I've filled a 1.5 ohm dual coil carto and vaped each juice at various voltages from any of a bunch of my VV mods, using voltages from low-3s up to high-5s. So far, my opinions have held consistent throughout the "testing procedure," meaning that the various delivery systems for vaping haven't made any significant difference in my feeling about a given juice.

These RY4 reviews may not always be accurate (I'm not only subjective, but also fallible, and as prone to error as anyone), and they may not please everyone, especially folks who love a certain vendor and might react negatively to my criticizing that vendor's version of RY4. All that is to be expected. I do try to give each juice its full day in court before pronouncing my opinion pro or con, however, so as to avoid the pitfalls of snap judgments.

Diablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
SW,Virginia
Bill,

I was in no way looking for scientific precision in the reviews, I know taste is completely subjective. You did an excellent review on all the different RY4's with a very good explanation of each. I am new to vaping and have read that different voltages and or atty cartos in regards to resistance can have a major effect on taste. I like the couple of RY4's I have tried and just wanted to be on the same page as you when I am testing to see what works for me. Taste may be subjective but I bet a large amount of people would probably agree with the top 10 and one of those is probably their favorite because good juice still needs to be good quality.

Im using a Reo Grand at 3.7v with 2.0 boge carto's and have some cisco 1.8 attys so I should be close to what your vaping with them which will help me narrow it down to 1 or 2 I really like.

Thanks again for the review.

D

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
For some reason I like vapor renus version Re(4)nu special .renu blend. At first is was very peppery but it totally grew on me. a little stronger and mustier than some. Me like u might no likey

dog,

I have a 30ml bottle of VaporRenu's Re(4)nu flavor concentrate that was purchased last year. I've used it in a couple of my homemade RY4 DIY blends, and I like it, too. I don't recall tasting pepper, but I agree about the mustiness. Earthy as opposed to bright. But, as I've written, I like the bass notes more than the sparkly trebles, so Re(4)nu is fine by me.

My DIY blends always end up like an ongoing stew pot with about 20 ingredients in each. As the bottles gradually get used, I just add more new ingredients---a sample bottle of juice here, a bit more of some flavor concentrate there, whatever. I haven't ruined any of them yet, which shows the resiliency of RY4 blends, because not all my DIY efforts have been as successful. Some other flavors I attempted to DIY have turned out just dreadful. There's a reason that I have a 100ml bottle labeled "Garbage DIY" that's about 2/3 full... LOL. (I'd better be a good reviewer, because I'm never going to achieve artisan juice-maker status...)

ogredog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2011
fontana,Cali
dog,

I have a 30ml bottle of VaporRenu's Re(4)nu flavor concentrate that was purchased last year. I've used it in a couple of my homemade RY4 DIY blends, and I like it, too. I don't recall tasting pepper, but I agree about the mustiness. Earthy as opposed to bright. But, as I've written, I like the bass notes more than the sparkly trebles, so Re(4)nu is fine by me.

My DIY blends always end up like an ongoing stew pot with about 20 ingredients in each. As the bottles gradually get used, I just add more new ingredients---a sample bottle of juice here, a bit more of some flavor concentrate there, whatever. I haven't ruined any of them yet, which shows the resiliency of RY4 blends, because not all my DIY efforts have been as successful. Some other flavors I attempted to DIY have turned out just dreadful. There's a reason that I have a 100ml bottle labeled "Garbage DIY" that's about 2/3 full... LOL. (I'd better be a good reviewer, because I'm never going to achieve artisan juice-maker status...)

Oh dont get me wrong I love it, i just wanted to tell people what to expect. Some tobaccos are very light, some have a spicy aftertone, and that was my first my very first impression of it. anytime i cant pick what i want its that, or vaporrenu tobacco root beer it must just be the west coast tobacco that i am liking?....im with you bass notes on tobaccos... i have a "goodejuice" goodebacco i tried and am now steeping that i will review soon. it is good dark,and strong out of the bottle, but a little weird so i will wait...trying their ry4 right now :)

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
You said youve come to perversely like bluemists ry4? somewhat? they have 180mls of double flavor ry4 in their clearance right now for $20 bucks!

ogredog,

As I wrote in my original mini-review, I already have a 180ml bottle of Bluemist RY4. Plus, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit, a 30ml bottle of Bluemist RY4 flavor concentrate, enough to make at least 120mls more juice. I figure I'll vape this stuff for perhaps 10 minutes, twice a month (maybe). At that rate---roughly 1/2ml per month---I've got enough to last for 50 years. Since I'm 61 now, those two bottles of Bluemist will undoubtedly outlive me. I'll leave whatever's left to you in my will, along with my 120ml bottles of Bluemist Caramel Tobacco and Robacco, which have languished in my juice cellar untouched for many months now. LOL.

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
You have done a very good thing. These reviews are awesome, and I agree, basically. I must add one for your "try" list.
Quick nic Juice RY4 Tobacco flavored e-liquid. Made in the USA

This is a new vendor to ecf, but already they have won me over. Their French Toast is now my favorite vape. I love their full flavors, and would like you to review their RY4. My guess is it reaches the top 10 at least.

And I just ordered from Ozark. If it ain't good, I'll blame you. If you don't like Quick nic, you can blame me.

ogredog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2011
fontana,Cali
I forgot you had the 180ml bottle from there. but 20 bucks is soooo tempting...BackwoodsBrew RY4 is next but I am ashamed to say....For this week....eek...I ordered pizza juice from juicyvapor. I just love pizza, and pizza rolls and snacks BUT I know I'm gonna get bit in the A!! by my curiosity but IF I DONT SURVIVE it, I will leave it to you IN MY WILL! How long does ejuice stay good for again? You should sell some on here and get some $$$ for your next ry4 purchases (and review!) the really, really, really long ry4 roundup lol

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
You have done a very good thing. These reviews are awesome, and I agree, basically. I must add one for your "try" list.
Quick nic Juice RY4 Tobacco flavored e-liquid. Made in the USA

This is a new vendor to ecf, but already they have won me over. Their French Toast is now my favorite vape. I love their full flavors, and would like you to review their RY4. My guess is it reaches the top 10 at least.

And I just ordered from Ozark. If it ain't good, I'll blame you. If you don't like Quick nic, you can blame me.

hangdude,

When I decided to do the Big RY4 Roundup, I was hoping that my mini-reviews and rankings would just be a starting point, and that other people would add their own RY4 reviews to the thread. So, if the spirit moves you in that direction, please post a review of the Quick nic Juice RY4. If not, that's cool too.

I have to admit that after vaping about 20mls of RY4s over the past two weeks in preparation for this thread, I'm starting to burn out on RY4. My taste buds are shutting down to tobacco-caramel-vanilla. I find myself reaching for straight tobacco vapes right now---bwb Hunter's Blend and Maxboro (now Bacco), liqxpress Honey Flue Cured, vermillionriver Kentucky Premium, then for a change of pace in flavored tobaccos, primevaping Nostalgia and want2vape Managua. Heck, I might even do some fruit flavors to clear my palate, and I don't generally like fruit vapes.

Someone praised AltSmokes' RY4 in another thread, so I ordered some. I'll try to scrape up a couple extra bucks from spare change to order the Quick nic RY4. Or, better yet, perhaps I should email Quick nic posing as the Grand Poobah of RY4 reviewers and ask if they'd send me a sample. LOL.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I forgot you had the 180ml bottle from there. but 20 bucks is soooo tempting...BackwoodsBrew RY4 is next but I am ashamed to say....For this week....eek...I ordered pizza juice from juicyvapor. I just love pizza, and pizza rolls and snacks BUT I know I'm gonna get bit in the A!! by my curiosity but IF I DONT SURVIVE it, I will leave it to you IN MY WILL! How long does ejuice stay good for again? You should sell some on here and get some $$$ for your next ry4 purchases (and review!) the really, really, really long ry4 roundup lol

ogredog,

Because I am such an .... retentive idiot, I have a complete database of everything I've bought in nine months of vaping. Every PV, atty, carto, tank, battery, adapter, juice, flavor concentrate, drip tip, etc. Hell, I've got six different battery chargers sitting next to my desk, with their little LEDs glowing like Christmas lights. I'm frankly embarrassed to tell anyone how much money I've spent on this fantastic hobby/silly obsession, so I won't. Suffice it to say, however, that the inventory database has a detailed record of every juice and concentrate sitting in numerous cabinets I had to buy to house everything (two sterilite three-drawer white plastic cabinets with wheels, and three smaller five-drawer storage cabs)---date purchased, vendor, name, size, nic concentration, base blend, cost shipped, and comments. The whole ridiculous nine yards. Egad.

The one good thing I can say about all this stuff is that I used to collect acoustic and electric guitars and basses, and vaping gear is a whole lot smaller and more compact.

If I ever get my act together (ha!), I'm gonna post one huge honkin' juice/DIY flavorings sale in the classifieds.

David Bruno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2009
Iron Mountain , Michigan
I love FSUSA'S RY4 and am getting a little into the RY5. The 5 is a little sweeter but has grown on me a little. I liked the Dekang RY4 a few years ago when I started vaping. As it has been said, it was great one shipment and lousy another. So far I've never been let down from FSUSA. I will continue to try different RY4'S. I just like the tobacco/ caramel/vanilla flavor. I do like a stronger TH and that is just as important as flavor to me. Thanks for this post.
Dave

Streetrat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2011
Texas
Unfortunately I found this AFTER I ordered a big bottle of Blumist Ry4... I recieved it today ... It wasnt colorless, but a reddish orange color.
I'm going to try to let it steep for a good while... I tried vaping it a bit when it arrived and I cant even describe what it tasted like (it reminded me of dishwashing liquid taste?) I'm not sure... maybe a chemically taste?? ... but it was definitely not my thing.
Anyone else gotten Blumist ry4 that wasnt colorless??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread