the René 41 thread . . . . . . .well . . . . . .wire . . . . . . . . wire thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
I'll take my seat, right here in the front row :p

I brought a pic to share with class too :D

d9cb863c-1dd9-4d29-baea-832641496b1e.jpg

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Huh? . . . . oh yeah, SO . .. René 41 is a Super Alloy resistance wire which includes Titanium, Cobalt and Molybdenum into the mix we normally see in our Kanthal and Nichrome. Read all about it, if you will . . . . .

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FRen%25C3%25A9_41&ei=ZZMZUpziMKXSiALu9IDgBw&usg=AFQjCNEjP8g6C7lSLNhVhgvZRSyXOV-g7w&sig2=tW32SacXIM3R8EHgj_vl-Q&bvm=bv.51156542,d.cGE

http://www.jacobs-online.biz/rene-wire.htm

Some of us have been trying it in our vapes, and find it to provide flavor superior to the commonly used res. wires. Its a real bear to work with, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who might still be getting the hang of building.

Here's my funnelator, a twist on Super_X's Tornado . . . . This one required repeated heat and quench cycles to beat it into submission.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
René 41 can be considered a cobalt alloy based upon its chemical composition

umm yeaa, not so hot on that idea.

However, chronic cobalt ingestion has caused serious health problems at doses far less than the lethal dose. In 1966, the addition of cobalt compounds to stabilize beer foam in Canada led to a peculiar form of toxin-induced cardiomyopathy, which came to be known as beer drinker's cardiomyopathy.[83]

cobalt is a major cause of contact dermatitis

while using it in a coil may never lead to problems just keep an eye out for anything weird no matter how small with the throat, mouth and lungs.

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
So, Nickel and Cobalt are both chemical elements which are necessary for human physiology. In TRACE amounts. Ingestion of more than trace amounts of either can be a bad thing. So, I would strongly suggest that we avoid eating them. The Canadian beer thing is a case of ingestion. What we might concern ourselves with is whether the fumes of these (and the other metals, elements comprising our wires) can be harmful. Nickel fumes, in chronic exposure (i.e. welders), have been shown to be harmful. (Cobalt fumes, although I didn't find as much information, can also be considered harmful.) I would hazard a guess that the fumes of any metal, in chronic exposure, can be found to be unhealthy. The question arises as to whether one is creating metal fumes (of any sort) when vaping. I would guess that the process of dry burning, or glowing, the wire may get us into the temperature range where some small amount of fumes are present; however, as I've never smelled anything (except when dry burning a fat ss mesh setup), I can't imagine that fumes are produced in a quantity that could be considered a level of chronic exposure. Personally, I believe that when we are vaping, sufficient heat energy is immediately passed to our liquid and phase change (to steam) that the metal wire is not heated sufficiently to pose much risk. That said, if one finds Nichrome wire to cause irritation or an unpleasant physical reaction, I certainly wouldn't suggest using this other Nickel-based resistance wire.

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
So, this wire material is more springy and needs more annealing? I'm interested in another wire material. Nichrome has been my go-to, as there is a flavor contamination with Kanthal, to me. I've ordered all my nichrome from jacobs, so I'm confident in this vendor. I'll be watching this thread for added info...

ETA: After reviewing the listing, I'm skeptical about two things:
A) Resistance is .33ohm/inch. That means to get withing the circuit spec of my DNA12, I need a coil made from 3" of wire. That's HUGE!
B) The only size available is 27awg. Once again, that's HUGE!

In some instances HUGE is good. Atties... I want tiny.

I'll be on the search for a little higher resistance rene41, as the properties are promising. 27awg is too much.

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Yeah, what Dougie said, only the other way. Wished I could get me some 25g.

Here's a thought, that should be taken seriously . . .. Having compared the difference in "wire flavors", I find myself hyper-aware of any wire flavor. Maybe . . . if one doesn't try it, one will continue to taste *nothing*. That said, I've double checked again, and continue to prefer the René.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Well....... it was gonna happen eventually.... so I'll be the first to pipe up and say.... I'm back on Kanthal :(

Having some adverse reaction to this wire, in the form of a sore throat. I first noticed it yesterday evening after having vaped my fool head off all day Saturday playing with this wire. At first I attributed it to the beer drinkin and excessive vaping I did Friday night and Saturday (I do not drink much, or often). Today my throat was sore again and I was getting a slight bit of irritation on each inhale (sort of a kick in the tonsils, kind of like taking a bite out of a fresh lemon). I wanted to rule out the wire and held off on posting anything about it as I really DO NOT want to give credence to any naysayers that are naysayers just for the sake of being naysayers. At this point I am convinced that this wire does not agree with me, which would be consistent with my preference towards Kanthal over Nichrome.

I disassembled and cleaned up two RM2's today and wrapped identical coils for them, aside from one being Kanthal A-1 and the other Rene 41. Both are made of 27g wire, both 7 wraps around a 1/16" bit, both wicked with cotton, both vaping the same liquid and both used on the same Grand. Once I got the atty's fitted with their coils I used the Kanthal one first, after vaping on a 9 wrap R41 coil all morning and while I was rebuilding the two test atty's. Within about 30 - 45 minutes my sore throat was gone. FFW about another hour and I switched to the R41 coil. Within 30 minutes the irritation in my throat was back. I switched back to the Kanthal coil and vaped it the rest of the afternoon and evening, went to a b-day party for my sister and left the R41 atty at home. For the entire afternoon and evening while I was using the Kanthal coil I had no throat irritation at all. Returned home around 10pm and at about 11 decided to give the R41 another go. To my dismay the soreness was back in pretty short order. I decided to vape through it for a bit thinking surely this must be in my head somewhere. Over the following ~2hrs the irritation persisted and on each inhale got a little bit worse. I am now back to using the Kanthal build for the last hour or so, throat is feeling better but still a little irritated, no more irritation on the inhale.

Maybe it's an unfortunate coincidence of some sort. Maybe I am one of the unlucky ones who react to Nickel in their wire, which again would be consistent with my preference of K over N. If my throat is not sore this week I may have another go with Rene next weekend.. I would love to learn this is all in my head. For now though I am heading back to the comfortable familiarity of 26gK.

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for being so meticulous about it! I thought, for a short while yesterday, that I had an odd (very subtle) sensation in the back of my mouth / top of my throat. I tried switching back to Kanthal; but felt it there too (or so I thought). I attributed it to myself, and to hyper-awareness, since I'm all focused on wire flavor right now. I wasn't nearly as thorough as you, Stats. In any case, I'm going to work with my .4Ω dual coil René. Will report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread