Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
And a happy Sunday to all! Great holiday shopping in our little store. Am a bit pooped but grateful! Also, very relieved with the change in weather patterns here as we are getting some much needed rain. Am also sad that the precipitation is making it difficult to get good dna readings on the missing folks from the fire up north. At least this fire is 100% contained now. Life can be so many shades, can’t it?
Bottom line lessons for me is to treasure each and every moment as it’s too easy to take all the goodies for granted.
Cheers Reonauts!
So glad when I heard the fire was contained. Also glad to hear your business is brisk. Best of luck with that for the holiday season and I hope you folks can relax a bit.

• Love
Reactions: Robinowitz

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
So glad when I heard the fire was contained. Also glad to hear your business is brisk. Best of luck with that for the holiday season and I hope you folks can relax a bit.
And thank you @Papa_Lazarou. Tis good to breathe again.

How’s everything up your way? Getting some of this luscious rain?

Reactions: Papa_Lazarou

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
And thank you @Papa_Lazarou. Tis good to breathe again.

How’s everything up your way? Getting some of this luscious rain?

We've had quite a dry November but it's raining the proverbial les chats et les chiens today. This is good as it allows me to test out my new rainwater catchment and irrigation system.

Reactions: jifjifjif

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
We've had quite a dry November but it's raining the proverbial les chats et les chiens today. This is good as it allows me to test out my new rainwater catchment and irrigation system.
Yeah I hear you about a dry November. October didn’t see any rain since Oct 1st here. My grandma would have said, “it’s been drier than a popcorn fart.” Hahaha!
Bravo for your catchment system. Fingers crossed!

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Yeah I hear you about a dry November. October didn’t see any rain since Oct 1st here. My grandma would have said, “it’s been drier than a popcorn fart.” Hahaha!
Bravo for your catchment system. Fingers crossed!

We had a very nice Oct. Unusually sunny - worked out nicely for @Sloth Tonight when they visited.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Happy 5th Vapeversary, @TwistedThrottle! Half a decade! Wow!

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
So, just thought I'd pop in and give an update on the doggy. Atticus (call him "Atty" for short and for pun, :)) is doing great! He has cheered the house up and brought me out of the depression I fell into upon Boomer's death. He is so full of love. We've got a few issues to work through with him, namely separation anxiety, but music is really helping. I leave classical music playing for him while I'm at work, and it calms him down. He's full of energy, but it gives me motivation to get out in the cold for some exercise. He's a sweetheart, to and through. I feel quite lucky we found him when we did!

I'm building a PC tomorrow, first time doing that. Absolutely petrified, but also excited. It will replace my laptop and be much more capable of doing the things I do with my PC.

That's about it. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the season!

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    So, just thought I'd pop in and give an update on the doggy. Atticus (call him "Atty" for short and for pun, :)) is doing great! He has cheered the house up and brought me out of the depression I fell into upon Boomer's death. He is so full of love. We've got a few issues to work through with him, namely separation anxiety, but music is really helping. I leave classical music playing for him while I'm at work, and it calms him down. He's full of energy, but it gives me motivation to get out in the cold for some exercise. He's a sweetheart, to and through. I feel quite lucky we found him when we did!

I'm building a PC tomorrow, first time doing that. Absolutely petrified, but also excited. It will replace my laptop and be much more capable of doing the things I do with my PC.

Great to hear Atty is a good fit!
    We had a Malamute when we lived in snow country.
    She also had separation issues as a pup. Chewed a 9x12 thick shag carpet in half, one afternoon...:eek:
    Good luck with the PC...

Doffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    Australia

:lol:

he's a husky, strong pack instinct

he'll drive the neighbours nuts with howling for years to come, it's how they roll :D

• Optimistic
    Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2013
    Gabriola Island, Canada

Happy the pooch is working out. We've always found there's nothing better for a pet you had to say good-bye to than to meet a new furry friend. Sounds like you've got one.

As for the PC, just go slow and double check all your connections. Installing the software will actually be the biggest pain. What OS are you going with?

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2014
    NY
    Happy the pooch is working out. We've always found there's nothing better for a pet you had to say good-bye to than to meet a new furry friend. Sounds like you've got one.

As for the PC, just go slow and double check all your connections. Installing the software will actually be the biggest pain. What OS are you going with?
    Windows 10. I pretty much have to as my main software is Windows based, but I also rather like Windows 10. I've installed Linux on computers before, so fairly familiar with OS installation. My primary concern is ESD. I've had a lot of static discharge lately, and I'll be building on a plastic banquet table as that's my only real option, but from what I read it may be prone to ESD issues...

What's your thoughts on that? You're a good person to ask, if you don't mind my asking :)

ETA I'll paint a clearer picture: I'm building it upstairs, where the dog doesn't have access to, so no worries about small parts, etc. The floor is wooden, and painted. The table is one of those folding plastic tables with metal legs. I could build directly on the painted wood floor, if you think it advisable over said table. I did order an anti-static wrist band, and my understanding is that if I use it, I should first install the PSU and plug it in but keep it turned completely off, and connect the strap to either a screw on the PSU or any bare metal I can find on it. But, I've read many conflicting things on this, so color me uncertain...

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2013
    Gabriola Island, Canada
    Windows 10. I pretty much have to as my main software is Windows based, but I also rather like Windows 10. I've installed Linux on computers before, so fairly familiar with OS installation. My primary concern is ESD. I've had a lot of static discharge lately, and I'll be building on a plastic banquet table as that's my only real option, but from what I read it may be prone to ESD issues...

What's your thoughts on that? You're a good person to ask, if you don't mind my asking :)

ETA I'll paint a clearer picture: I'm building it upstairs, where the dog doesn't have access to, so no worries about small parts, etc. The floor is wooden, and painted. The table is one of those folding plastic tables with metal legs. I could build directly on the painted wood floor, if you think it advisable over said table. I did order an anti-static wrist band, and my understanding is that if I use it, I should first install the PSU and plug it in but keep it turned completely off, and connect the strap to either a screw on the PSU or any bare metal I can find on it. But, I've read many conflicting things on this, so color me uncertain...

Hmmm... well, it's winter and you're likely using some kind of desiccating heat source, so the air prolly has low humidity - that increases static activity. Maybe think about using an air humidifier in the area you build in. Here on the coast, where "dry" air is >50% humidity, there is far less static and I haven't fried a component ever.

I'd build on the floor, myself, and I'd wipe the portion I use with a fabric softener sheet if I had one handy (they have a chemical that reduces static cling in laundry).

Work barefoot, nude if you can (quit giggling, you lot - clothes harbour a lot of static electricity) - if not, wear cotton, never wool, leather... or PVC ;). Good that you have a bracelet - you're actually the worst source of static.

Yeah, get the PSU grounded (plugged in, switched off, and strapped). This is where the debate has been amongst geeks - no definitive answer as to whether or not this is better. Just never touch the electronic components without first touching a ground, like the metal frame of the computer (which should be, at all times, sitting firmly on the floor, not on cardboard/plastic/carpet/etc). The strap should make this a redundant precaution, but hey, it can't hurt.

Your chances of frying anything are quite small - the above is overkill - but it's heartache when it happens and you do live in a relatively static-prone environment, so best to err on the side of caution.

• Love
    Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2014
    NY
    Hmmm... well, it's winter and you're likely using some kind of desiccating heat source, so the air prolly has low humidity - that increases static activity. Maybe think about using an air humidifier in the area you build in. Here on the coast, where "dry" air is >50% humidity, there is far less static and I haven't fried a component ever.

I'd build on the floor, myself, and I'd wipe the portion I use with a fabric softener sheet if I had one handy (they have a chemical that reduces static cling in laundry).

Work barefoot, nude if you can (quit giggling, you lot - clothes harbour a lot of static electricity) - if not, wear cotton, never wool, leather... or PVC ;). Good that you have a bracelet - you're actually the worst source of static.

Yeah, get the PSU grounded (plugged in, switched off, and strapped). This is where the debate has been amongst geeks - no definitive answer as to whether or not this is better. Just never touch the electronic components without first touching a ground, like the metal frame of the computer (which should be, at all times, sitting firmly on the floor, not on cardboard/plastic/carpet/etc). The strap should make this a redundant precaution, but hey, it can't hurt.

Your chances of frying anything are quite small - the above is overkill - but it's heartache when it happens and you do live in a relatively static-prone environment, so best to err on the side of caution.
    That's great info and super helpful. I'll follow your advice. No humidifier, unfortunately, but I'll heed all the other precautions. It's definitely static prone here and it's made me quite nervous. That fabric softener sheet tip is really interesting! I never would've thought to do that, makes great sense though.

I suppose another advantage to working on the floor is that if I drop a screw, it won't go scattering as far as it would falling off a table.

I will take pics, and post them from the new computer - hopefully tomorrow night :)

Thank you very much, my friend :toast:

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2013
    Gabriola Island, Canada
    That's great info and super helpful. I'll follow your advice. No humidifier, unfortunately, but I'll heed all the other precautions. It's definitely static prone here and it's made me quite nervous. That fabric softener sheet tip is really interesting! I never would've thought to do that, makes great sense though.

I suppose another advantage to working on the floor is that if I drop a screw, it won't go scattering as far as it would falling off a table.

I will take pics, and post them from the new computer - hopefully tomorrow night :)

Thank you very much, my friend :toast:

You have an electric kettle? Boil some water in it in the area. Even a pot of boiled water set in the room will help.

You'll have no problems, and do send some pics.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2014
    NY
    You have an electric kettle? Boil some water in it in the area. Even a pot of boiled water set in the room will help.

You'll have no problems, and do send some pics.
    Unfortunately not, but one thing I can do is put some water in something heat proof and set it on the radiators downstairs. We do that sometimes to help humidify our room. And I can definitely stick a pot of boiled water upstairs with me.

And let this be a lesson to all, if I do indeed succeed: if a Sloth can do it, anyone can. :)

Reactions: puffon

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Might be too late, but I've built many a gaming PC for folks as a side hustle.

I build on a wooden table. Install PSU first, leave its power switch off and plug it in, then connect ESD strap to the PSU or the case near the PSU. Throw in any disc and hard drives or case fans.

Assemble the motherboard outside the case, the CPU and RAM and most likely the CPU cooler depending on whether you can get at the motherboard screws with it on.

Plop that in, add GPU, wire it up and good to go. I haven't had an ESD issue yet (knock on wood)

In progress pic of my last personal build back in 2016.
    e65b99d7805aaded611713b1a5cc6d94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    SW France
    Just a thought, Sloth - if you have a clothes airer available, hang some wet towels etc on it in front of the space heater; that way you can still have some nose/finger warmth and increase the humidity at the same time.
    DaveD

Talking of static, back in the late 70's I used to travel frequently to Tehran on business. Tehran is around 4000ft elevation, on the edge of desert territory, and has very low humidity. Used to stay at the Intercontinental Hotel 'cause the company owned them. Only problem - they furnished all their hotels from a common furnishing pack - including high nylon content carpets for the corridors and rooms. Quickly learnt the hard way to carry a 10Kohm resistor to touch anything metal with before touching with hands. This worked well until the middle of one night waking up with an urge to use the bathroom, ran across the carpet and earthed myself in an unusual manner. Owch.
    Don't think you will have that sort of problem, Good Luck.

Reactions: Waho
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread