.... The Verdict ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Steve,
I purchased my very first ecig from you. The reason I chose you was because of all the research I was doing; checking out YouTube,forums and other places here and there, Everybody kept refering to this guy named Steve (all good BTW), So went to your site and watched your info videos and I could see right away You told it like it is..Well, Based on that, I ordered from you..Musta been around mid to late April because right about that time You made a move to Henderson? I think ? Tennessee..Well everything you said and I read about you was Straight Up no bull. I like that in a person who runs a bussiness like you run yours..Anyway my question is this...Isn't anodized aluminum better than powder coating considering we use a juice that is somewhat oily?..My experience with the two is that the anodized metals tend to wipe clean very easy verses powdercoat. I've gotten oil on a powdercoat suface before and it seems like it absorbs oily substances and the coating usually ends up looking wet, darker verses anodizing just gets shiney I guess that might be the case for flat black.
All e-liquids are water soluble. a quick run under some water (while device is closed and no battery would be best way to do that) and a blotting with a paper towel should clean it off. Or you could just do what I do with my other devices and wipe it on your jeans :) LOL!

It is all about CLASS my friend :) Gotta love Steve!

Hello Steve
Im new to the Prodigy scene but looking over your beautiful product and your unique customer relationship i went to your website and made a wish list. You seem to really have great care and concern for your product and your customers and that is a special trait not just as a supplier but as a person. It is very commendable and appreciated...The Prodigy is a work of art.

Prodigy is beautiful... I had a dream about it last night!

Does anyone remember if Steve said whether the passthrus will be one and will take adapters for all types? On PS page looks like the 801/901 has the reg type and the 401/510 have the thicker type with adapter. Is this the "V1/V2" thing? The 28G wire will be in the originals and then the 20G will be in the new version that takes an adapter?

JABLUES

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
east coast
All e-liquids are water soluble. a quick run under some water (while device is closed and no battery would be best way to do that) and a blotting with a paper towel should clean it off. Or you could just do what I do with my other devices and wipe it on your jeans :) LOL!

Does anyone remember if Steve said whether the passthrus will be one and will take adapters for all types? On PS page looks like the 801/901 has the reg type and the 401/510 have the thicker type with adapter. Is this the "V1/V2" thing? The 28G wire will be in the originals and then the 20G will be in the new version that takes an adapter?

Hey Spikey,
When i started vaping, i was guided to your video and what a great wealth of info..thanks for your time and effort..P.S although the prodigy is beautiful, i think i might be dreaming of your avatar tonight, quite beautiful also..lol? :evil: JABLUES

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
If I understand correctly, anodizing actually alters the molecular structure of the surface of the aluminum, leaving it very hard and resistant to scratching, staining, and corrosion. The coloring is obtained by adding different substances to the process, as opposed to just adding dye or paint.

Does powder coating have any effect other than coloring the metal?

It actually alters the molecular structure TOO much. Meaning, the aluminum no longer conducts and we found out the hard way today ... see below for more info.

There is nothing great about anodizing. Yes it is basically staining the metal; however, anodizing tends to fade fast esp. with black (will tend to look purple over time).

I think powder-coating is the way to go. Of course you can scratch it like any finish, but powder coating is way more durable than say paint, etc. I believe the reg e-cigs are powder-coat. I haven't even ordered one of these, but was glad to see them go to powder-coating. Just look at the pics. That is a nice finish.

I have noticed that matte black will start to look glossy if you spill juice on it and wipe it MULTIPLE times, but I believe they did not go with flat black they went with Satin black.

Should LOOK great in powder-coat as opposed to anodizing, IMHO...

Haven't noticed a fad on some really old anodized dials, etc... They are easily 10-12 years old and looks the same with a few deep scratches, etc... No purple ... LOL. Although, I know several people on here would LOVE purple ;) PCing is the way to go, and will move forward all on parts.

Awwww... Thanks Spikey :wub:

Not sure what you mean about adapters. Both the Prodigy and uSBpass now take adapters and are roughly built the same way ... That make sense? Also, yes the original USB pass will be 3' 28g and the 2nd batch and moving forward will be 6' 20g :)

So ... Here we go guys ... The Final Stretch ....

Latest Info ....

The Anodizing and Etching LOOK LIKE PERFECTION ... The only problem is, THEY DON'T WORK! As stated earlier, when anodizing something, it in fact changes the chemical structure to a certain extent ... We didn't in fact know it would change it to the extent it now sits in. When anodizing, the use of plugs/thread covers/etc... is almost impossible, and anodizing is best done on parts that are non-electrical, or simply piece that don't involve conductivity. The reason = As soon as the piece is anodized, its no longer conductive, plain and simple.

So, while the below may look awesome ... They don't work :mad: Luckily, our very large set went off to the PCer's today and should be ready to go Monday for a Monday shipment. The PC versions look even better ... EXCEPT, you are NOT able to engrave AFTER the PC, so that means the engraving ends up being the same color as the actual PC. We decided to keep the retro 80's font for now as well, as programming to take this 1 off Prodigy font would just add another few days to the mix. With anodizing, etching works ... With PCing, you have to actually delve deeper and engrave, then PC.

Here are the anodized Prodigy's that will NOT be shipping anywhere anytime soon ... They do make some great mantle piece/paper weights though :D Next week, once the PC prodigy's start shipping, we will go back and see if we can strip the entire interior coating on these anodized version ... if they end up conducting, then we can ship them...if not, they will remain desktop paper weights :)

Enough Talk ... Pictures

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
They look great!! I guess you are lucky only a few took the anodizing so you didn't end up with a whole bunch that didn't work......having to powder coat was a blessing in disguise!

Good job guys!!

AMEN violet! Not to mention:

A) Powder Coating = Same day turnaround (atleast on days where they don't leave at 12 noon, like they did randomly today for some odd reason)
B) Done Locally
C) Instead of outsourcing the lazer etching, the engraving can be done in house
D) The hopeful addition of colors down the road

It seems like a total win = win ... Minus the fact we lost roughly 8-9 days on this whole anodizing fiasco. If we would have known roughly 2 weeks ago, what we know today, likely all orders would have been filled by now :-x The nature of the beast I guess when it comes to developing something new ... Atleast we now have our i's dotted, and our t's crossed ... We can pound these puppies out like no ones business :D

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Order date: May 29, 2009
Order#: 16578 so some may go out on monday. what about us guys who ordered a lil late in the game or am i the only late bloomer? lol is there gonna be an extended wait.

Extended wait shouldn't be too bad DJ ... Its was the first rush that really took its toll. I'm hoping to be caught up within 1 weeks time.

jonw

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
McCalla, AL
Dang if you could only hear the cuss words I want to say, you need to send me the very first PC prodigy so I can fell special pretty please, and so I can stop being a e-vulture. Think if the anodized ones worked I could be e-vulture to my mail lady instead :). Pretty please haha order Order#: 16590 needs very first prodigy lol jk. Well at least you got the mess worked out and have been so upfront with us keeping us updated and stuff.

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
yeah, i dunno man. the tan powder coated one really does look...really damn good compared to the anodized. not just the color, but just looks all pretty and glossy and professional. then again, its all pics, not sure how the anodized looks in person, but (as always no offense meant) the anodized just looks a little...cheapy? i dunno, not really the right word, because i know it wasn't cheap...heh...just i guess the PC to me looks a lot "sharper" and cleaner.

of course, that's just my one opinion, and i wouldn't hesitate to fall in love with an anodized one...hehe....but after seeing the PC version i just think i like them better.

and yet another humble opinion to throw on the masses, i like the etched font better as well. it was touched on before about how it makes it look even more retro and campy sci fi, and i think that's pretty fitting for a "futuristic" device like this.

ps-is that a freakin quart jug of atomizers in the background??

Last edited:

violetvoo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Down the rabbit hole..
AMEN violet! Not to mention:

A) Powder Coating = Same day turnaround (atleast on days where they don't leave at 12 noon, like they did randomly today for some odd reason)
B) Done Locally
C) Instead of outsourcing the lazer etching, the engraving can be done in house
D) The hopeful addition of colors down the road

It seems like a total win = win ... Minus the fact we lost roughly 8-9 days on this whole anodizing fiasco. If we would have known roughly 2 weeks ago, what we know today, likely all orders would have been filled by now :-x The nature of the beast I guess when it comes to developing something new ... Atleast we now have our i's dotted, and our t's crossed ... We can pound these puppies out like no ones business :D
Thats wonderful for you (and us) cuz it looks like you're going to be selling a lot!!! I'm ready to hang up ALL my regular ecigs and just use the prodigy and PT with adaptors!! I can't wait.......and yay for colors (PURPLE)we have what 4 people on the purple train now.lol

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Dang if you could only hear the cuss words I want to say, you need to send me the very first PC prodigy so I can fell special pretty please, and so I can stop being a e-vulture. Think if the anodized ones worked I could be e-vulture to my mail lady instead :). Pretty please haha order Order#: 16590 needs very first prodigy lol jk. Well at least you got the mess worked out and have been so upfront with us keeping us updated and stuff.

haha ... I try my best to get as caught up as possible Jon !!! Like I said ... Had I actually promised Anodized ones to people, I would have gotten spanked since they don't work ... lol ... I try and keep options open as much as possible so I don't dishearten too many people.

yeah, i dunno man. the tan powder coated one really does look...really damn good compared to the anodized. not just the color, but just looks all pretty and glossy and professional. then again, its all pics, not sure how the anodized looks in person, but (as always no offense meant) the anodized just looks a little...cheapy? i dunno, not really the right word, because i know it wasn't cheap...heh...just i guess the PC to me looks a lot "sharper" and cleaner.

of course, that's just my one opinion, and i wouldn't hesitate to fall in love with an anodized one...hehe....but after seeing the PC version i just think i like them better.

and yet another humble opinion to throw on the masses, i like the etched font better as well. it was touched on before about how it makes it look even more retro and campy sci fi, and i think that's pretty fitting for a "futuristic" device like this.

Thats why we have stuck to PCing and the Retro Style Font for the Prodigy Flitz ... You'll be happy with both!!! now ... lets talk about your avatar !!! 8-o LOL ... Freaked me out and threw me for a spin since I tend to look at those over the username ... :lol:

Thats wonderful for you (and us) cuz it looks like you're going to be selling a lot!!! I'm ready to hang up ALL my regular ecigs and just use the prodigy and PT with adaptors!! I can't wait.......and yay for colors (PURPLE)we have what 4 people on the purple train now.lol

I hope its lives up to its name Violet! I really do!!! :) Haha, and yes, I believe there are 4 people on board that want purple ;)

nbaagain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Being that I was on the anodized Prodigy wagon myself, I'm going to have to agree that the powder coated version looks better. I also like the Retro font too. Bummer that you had to find out the hard way but thank goodness it was only a minimal amount of damaged product.

Unrelated question: With the 5 volt resistor installed and if I decided to use my 18650 batteries would I still be vaping at 3.7 volts? I only ask because I'm not so sure that the 510 attys are going to need the higher voltage and would like the extended battery life.

I know it must've been a hellacious week for you and your crew especially with all of us eagerly anticipating our new toys. Keep up the great work and thank you!

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Being that I was on the anodized Prodigy wagon myself, I'm going to have to agree that the powder coated version looks better. I also like the Retro font too. Bummer that you had to find out the hard way but thank goodness it was only a minimal amount of damaged product.

Unrelated question: With the 5 volt resistor installed and if I decided to use my 18650 batteries would I still be vaping at 3.7 volts? I only ask because I'm not so sure that the 510 attys are going to need the higher voltage and would like the extended battery life.

I know it must've been a hellacious week for you and your crew especially with all of us eagerly anticipating our new toys. Keep up the great work and thank you!

Hey NBA ... Yeah, the PC does look more *Refined* you are certainly correct :)

As far as the resistor ... Its drops ALL voltage across the board. Meaning, 3.7v batts will not be able to be used. Trust me ... when you taste higher voltage, there is no going back ... LOL

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
Thats why we have stuck to PCing and the Retro Style Font for the Prodigy Flitz ... You'll be happy with both!!! now ... lets talk about your avatar !!! 8-o LOL ... Freaked me out and threw me for a spin since I tend to look at those over the username ... :lol:

heh, "80s prom" a few months back :)

that's me protesting against the FDA and all this hype about taking my vaporizers.

"we're not gonna take it!"

just you wait...i've got plenty more costume pics to use as avatars to keep you on your toes.

Hey Spikey,
When i started vaping, i was guided to your video and what a great wealth of info..thanks for your time and effort..P.S although the prodigy is beautiful, i think i might be dreaming of your avatar tonight, quite beautiful also..lol? :evil: JABLUES
Glad the video was helpful.. sweet dreams :) LOL!

They look great!! I guess you are lucky only a few took the anodizing so you didn't end up with a whole bunch that didn't work......having to powder coat was a blessing in disguise!

Good job guys!!

Thank GOD he didn't send 50 or 100 of them!

Let me just maked a point Jon.. I was promised the first Prodigy off the production line way back before we even knew what the Prodigy was going to be or what it was called (in April? Early May?), yet I haven't said anything because Steve is stressed enough as it is. I dream about the Prodigy and think about it all day long.. and now that I can't find my Pilot... I am stressed and don't know what to vape... BUT I am willing to wait until the passthru I ordered to go with it is done and I am not going to freak out if I don't get the first one. SO... be calm, have a nice relaxing vape and wait it out. I am sure it will be worth the wait.

I like the PC better too.. looks "cleaner". You saw that jug too???

haha ... I try my best to get as caught up as possible Jon !!! Like I said ... Had I actually promised Anodized ones to people, I would have gotten spanked since they don't work ... lol ... I try and keep options open as much as possible so I don't dishearten too many people.

I would be first in line to teach Mrs Cash how to spank you! LOL!

The next thing we'll see is a black Prodigy in between those things. :D

It probably won't fit... but I am sure I can try to find somewhere else to keep it lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread